LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trying to figure out what my mechanic did with my opti vent hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, nothing to take apart. It should stay on the opti by itself, but like stated above you should put something on it to secure it tightly. Mine has a little hose clamp on it (the squeeze together kind)
Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Well a properly vented opti will have the moisture sucked out. Everyone always says its hard to put a 95-97 vented on a 92-94 non vented, but replacing my opti with a vented MSD was the first thing I did 7 (8?) years ago when I was a complete newb and it was literally zero issue from what I recall. I just had to put a hole in my elbow for a vent hose like you have plugged with a screw haha
That is because you installed a vented cap, not a vented opti.

Switching to a vented opti itself would also need a new timing cover and different length dowel on the cam.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Teching In

i am going to suggest that you seal the underside of the rubber seal for the hood. the one that runs across by the wipers. i have seen this on another site and when it rained water would run down onto the motor. im guessing that it was hitting a connector or sensor and causing it to fail. after sealing this rubber seal with silicon he has not had issues. this fellow went through a few motors that did not like the off tune running. i have also seen it with a failing opti harness, one that runs from the passenger side of the intake to the opti. and of course a failing opti or one that s close to failing can do this. i use rvt to add extra seal to the o ring on the opti cap and around any wires that come out of opti. (msd does not have plugin at opti)
also use electrcial grease on any plugin s and plug wire ends. dont add very much on these, dont want to effect the way the plugs connect.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Village Troll

Received 530 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by craby
i am going to suggest that you seal the underside of the rubber seal for the hood. the one that runs across by the wipers. i have seen this on another site and when it rained water would run down onto the motor.
Not sure I'd deal with the mess of sealant, but it is true about water leaking under the seal. I had an intake off mine while car was parked in an apartment parking lot, rained like crazy and I ended up draining about a gallon of water out of my oil pan.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by craby
i am going to suggest that you seal the underside of the rubber seal for the hood. the one that runs across by the wipers. i have seen this on another site and when it rained water would run down onto the motor. im guessing that it was hitting a connector or sensor and causing it to fail. after sealing this rubber seal with silicon he has not had issues. this fellow went through a few motors that did not like the off tune running. i have also seen it with a failing opti harness, one that runs from the passenger side of the intake to the opti. and of course a failing opti or one that s close to failing can do this. i use rvt to add extra seal to the o ring on the opti cap and around any wires that come out of opti. (msd does not have plugin at opti)
also use electrcial grease on any plugin s and plug wire ends. dont add very much on these, dont want to effect the way the plugs connect.
My car could be garaged the night before it rains and it still won't start. I believe my burnt plug wires are the culprit.

Mechanic claims that the vent hose that goes into the intake elbow is from my MSD opti and is not needed in my OEM opti and that there is no place for it to go.... genius.

I questioned him on his diagnosis of my opti being bad. He claimed to have opened the MSD unit up, and that there was moisture inside of it. Which is obviously false, since the warranty screws are still in place on my MSD distributor, so there's no way he opened it.

I may have a low mileage MSD opti for sale here soon, low miles, under 1k. Any links on how to test the cap (which is what supposedly failed) off the car?

EDIT: As it turns out, you can remove the cap without evidence of voiding the warranty.

Last edited by Epro; 08-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When did you discover the burnt plug wires?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZFreie
When did you discover the burnt plug wires?
I had the wires wrapped in plastic shrouds and then wrapped with header wrap, and the headers wrapped with header wrap in hopes of preventing them from burning. I took the header wrap off a wire and the plastic shrouds were melted to the wire.

I'm assuming the wires ended up melting even with the header wrap. I ordered an OTVC kit off Ebay from a former LS1Tech member. (99BlancoSS I believe?) Once I get those on, I hope those will solve the problem.

Last edited by Epro; 08-02-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure out what my mechanic did with my opti vent hose