LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

argh What have I done?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Nap
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SCTA
Do you have access to a scanner so you can look at your o2s while the surging is taking place.
Are the o2s a stock replacment or are they the bosch ones.
When my o2s were were messed up (new ones, bosch) car acted the same as yours. Went and got some stock replacment o2s. fixed the problem. (Im talking about the the upper 2 o2s in the headers)

If it is not the o2s that are the problem. then its tuning.
one last thought, were is your ignition control modual located. If it is mounted on the driver side head, this will casue a problem as the car heats up.

Micah
um.. ARGH... yep.. replaced ALL 4 with the bosh ones over a period of a month the factory ones quit. (well 1 quit on the left side so I replaced both, then 1 quit on the right side so I replaced both)... ARGH ARGH....

I don't have duals or headers.. standad exhaust with the cat's cut out and a 3" CATBACK.. The top O2's are plugged in and working. Since the car coded constantly I toot the back 2 out and secured them to the 'frame'. Hey I don't get a code because they are reaing clean air.. lol

The ignition coil is no the drivers sided head at the front. I looked into moving it when I had the water pump off but none of the harnesses were long enough so I think I'll have to make something.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

What im talking about is the ignition contol modual. It has a little aluminum heat sink with a plug going to it. If i remember corectly (its been 3 years) but i think it is mounted near the coil. Move this and see if it helps. The motor heats this up and that can casue it to act up.

Micah
Old 05-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Nap
Teching In

I'm planning on moving it this weekend I hope it helps, it sure cant hurt..

Here is something interesting tho'

I only buy 93 octane or better.. but gas has been so high and I was running short so I put 5 of 89 in it..

The surging/sputtering was about half normal. Idled great but still surged and stuff but NO where like it did. Mileage was nil.. it sucked that 5 down about 2x fast too.. refuled earlier with some 93 and it's back to the really bad surging/sputtering..

hopefully get 2 O2's next Thursday to replace the Bosh ones..
Old 05-26-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a buddy that you can borrow some know good o2s from. That way you can just slap them in and see if that helps. I would hate to see you waste more money on this problem.

The lower octace has a lower flashpoint. If the lower octane made a differance somthing tells me that your ignition system is not doing its job. What heat range plugs do you have in the car.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:20 PM
8 Second Club

I love to bust those high 10 sec cars in my 95 LT1 my LT1 GETS 20MPG and runs con. 10.5s
Old 05-31-2004, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Reading your symptoms, it sounds EXACTLY like a faulty EGR valve. Unless I missed it you haven't replaced that.

The EGR valve only operates during high-load low-rpm driving (i.e. cruising at low speed in high gear) and releases its air charge from the exhaust intermittently into the intake manifold at regular intervals. As soon as the car is into closed loop, and the PCM detects a condition that might produce high NOx emissions, EGR activates. Also, the valve may be sticking open, flooding the intake with burned gasses.

Also, your ignition control module may be bad, but I wouldn't bet on it, since its usually an all or nothing type situation.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this post is old, but because your car runs bad when the car is warm, it leads me to think that's when it goes into closed loop mode. Do you still have your car?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

It is an old post, I read the whole thing hoping he figured out his problem!

Quick Reply: argh What have I done?!?!