LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C System Vs Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C System Vs Cooling System

Well lets take this one step at a time. My fans aren't turning on at all. A/C is on full blast and no cooling fans are coming on. Car got well above the half way mark. Only time it went down is when I was cruising. Just fans just wont turn on and trying to figure out how the broken a/c system’s relation to not turning on my cooling fans. Bought some gauges & plugged in both the high & low and turned out the low had no pressure. Had a not very experienced friend look at it and he said it was most likely my H block on the evap. Trying to understand how this correlates to the Radiator cooling fans not coming on & blowing hot A/C air. Read more on shbox and was wonder if & how & where to check the A/c Pressure monitoring sensors. 2 guys checked the refrigerant and it is as full as its going to get! Can someone spoon feed me like a little baby on how this is related to both A/C & Cooling?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

it sounds like you may have 2 seperate problems
1."My fans aren't turning on at all." That would be a stand alone FAN problem.
2. "A/C is on full blast and no cooling fans are coming on."" 2 guys checked the refrigerant and it is as full as its going to get! ""& blowing hot A/C air." These describe an A/C system problem.
I can't answer your question, but I'd be trouble shooting the fans first. Re-read shbox page - he explains that If your a/c is broken or operation inhibited because of low refrigerant, the fans will not come on.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your fans aren't coming on they aren't cooling the condenser which sits in front of your radiator. No fans, poor or no A/C because the system can't dissipate heat. Troubleshoot your fans first.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speedy
If your fans aren't coming on they aren't cooling the condenser which sits in front of your radiator. No fans, poor or no A/C because the system can't dissipate heat. Troubleshoot your fans first.
Ok several questions that I would appreciate if someone could fill in the rest with a quote (Edit)

Before I ask though I read some more shbox and I switched several of the fuses and no luck.

Though I am a newb so ignore the fact if I sound stupid, I just dont know jack **** about what people with experience call “Common Sense” Im hear to learn.

Onto the questions:

Would it be a good Idea to get all new fuses?

What could explain how my fans use to come on way earlier than 226? I have an aftermarket 160 degree thermostat that has been on the car for over 2 years. I use to have primary fans that would come on & stay on after about 10 mins of a cold start up. Car would never go over the 2nd mark (180*)~ Nothing on the car is tuned or tampered with. It would stay under 180 with the new A/C Delco Radiator. I want the car to keep doing that. Any detail on why that was & how to bring that mode back.

What kind of wires am I suppose to use to jump the DLC? You might want to add the specific name or part number of the whole wire set incase I google search this stuff.

How am I suppose to understand the Wiring Schematic? I must be making it harder than it is. http://shbox.com/1/fan_schematic_1995.jpg

If I take my car to a Diagnostic man who has an OBD1 scanner will every single code pop up as far as the Cooling system, all bad sensors, and all the trouble codes about the A/C system? That being said im assuming he can direct me in the right direction in terms of the questions above?!

Im a very detailed person, so specific detail is how I really grasp information of which I have no education in. I want to learn more about the technical stuff & not the vagueness of these cars! I just wish I was raised around cars as a child. lol Thanks anyways
Old 08-11-2013, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not as complicated as you think. Firstly, are your fans coming on at all? If not, check the relays located in the plastic casing under the hood on the drivers side. Refer to Shbox.com for the pic if you can't find it.

If your fans do not come on, try disconnecting the water pump temperature gauge on the front of the water pump. The fans should come on and stay on. If they do, then your problem is likely the temperature sending unit on the water pump. It's cheap and easy to replace.

If the fans turn on and off under normal engine conditions but do not come on with the A/C then make sure the compressor is turning on when you turn on the A/C. The compressor clutch should cycle on and off. If that isn't happening then you need to troubleshoot the A/C system.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speedy
It's not as complicated as you think. Firstly, are your fans coming on at all? If not, check the relays located in the plastic casing under the hood on the drivers side. Refer to Shbox.com for the pic if you can't find it.

If your fans do not come on, try disconnecting the water pump temperature gauge on the front of the water pump. The fans should come on and stay on. If they do, then your problem is likely the temperature sending unit on the water pump. It's cheap and easy to replace.

If the fans turn on and off under normal engine conditions but do not come on with the A/C then make sure the compressor is turning on when you turn on the A/C. The compressor clutch should cycle on and off. If that isn't happening then you need to troubleshoot the A/C system.
Tried the relays & switching them with no luck. Just tried the water disconnecting the water pump sensor and still nothing.. I still not sure how to troubleshoot an A/C system
Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone else have ANY knowledge about A/C systems???
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

As was mentioned earlier, you have 2 separate problems. I would say your fan problem is likely a ground connection b/c you say they never come on. Check that they are in fact plugged in, then use the shbox site to find the common ground for the fan circuit. Speedy has it correct, if the heat at the condensor is not dissipated then a/c will not function properly and the refrigerant will not readily change states which comes with the cooling process. I will have to look over that diagram to see what I'm dealing with b/c you can't jump straight into someone else's troubleshooting without starting at ground zero.

Quick Reply: A/C System Vs Cooling System