LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark plug wire question.. Car running rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug wire question.. Car running rough

Ok so picked this car up last weekend and it has ran perfect until about 2 days ago. I get in it to go to work and its running rough almost like a spark plug wire is disconnected. So when I got time to look at it I started checking each one and came to one that just came right off like it wasn't snapped on. I tried pushing it back on until it clicked but it never did. I squeezed the terminal closer together but I think i did it too much and had to separate it a little more. Anyways it will go on and fit kinda tight but still doesn't "snap" on. I'm almost positive it's this wire that is causing the problems because just to check to see if it was that plug I unplugged it completely and cranked it and it seemed to run about the same. All the other wires take a goo amount of force to pull off except for this one wire. Do you guys think this wire is the one causing it? My dad has same year lt1 and has some extra wires so I'm gonna get one of those and see if that solves it. Just wanted some more input on what y'all thought.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94 z28 A4
Ok so picked this car up last weekend and it has ran perfect until about 2 days ago. I get in it to go to work and its running rough almost like a spark plug wire is disconnected. So when I got time to look at it I started checking each one and came to one that just came right off like it wasn't snapped on. I tried pushing it back on until it clicked but it never did. I squeezed the terminal closer together but I think i did it too much and had to separate it a little more. Anyways it will go on and fit kinda tight but still doesn't "snap" on. I'm almost positive it's this wire that is causing the problems because just to check to see if it was that plug I unplugged it completely and cranked it and it seemed to run about the same. All the other wires take a goo amount of force to pull off except for this one wire. Do you guys think this wire is the one causing it? My dad has same year lt1 and has some extra wires so I'm gonna get one of those and see if that solves it. Just wanted some more input on what y'all thought.
Do you hear it arching when the motor is on? I had the same problem when the boot would fall off sometimes and misfire. Try moving the wire back & forth to get it on. Sometimes just pushing it in isnt enough.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You also can always ohm the wire to see if it has continuity.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Do you hear it arching when the motor is on? I had the same problem when the boot would fall off sometimes and misfire. Try moving the wire back & forth to get it on. Sometimes just pushing it in isnt enough.
When I first crank it you can hear it arching a little and hear the exhaust sputter. Shoe box what is ohm?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Ohms...you know, when you put a meter on it and read resistance (in ohms). It should compare to other plug wires of the same length.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
Ohms...you know, when you put a meter on it and read resistance (in ohms). It should compare to other plug wires of the same length.
Oh my bad I gotcha now. Ok I'll try that. Thanks man I appreciate your help! When I tried to originally crimp the terminal I believe I did it a little too much and I think some of the outer piece of the terminal might have came off. So that's one reason why I'm gonna try to put another wire on and see.

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire question.. Car running rough