LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

electrical water pump help needed =/

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical water pump help needed =/

i have a csi electric water pump and i deleted the secondary air pump in my 95 z28 can i put a relay there and it only come on when i turn the key and stay on while i'm driving?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I don't know if that lead is only hot with key on or not. You can search around this site or Google wiring diagrams for electric w/p. Definitely run a relay. You want a constant hot directly from the battery to the relay and then whatever hot wire with key on. There are a few. Been years since I did mine so I don't rightly remember. It was a wire from the underhood fuse box. Sorry I can't be more help.
For a much easier relay install you can get this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnafuel/665/...FQai4AodoQEAZg
Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

One of the brown wires for the air pump relay coil, terminal 86 or 85 is a constant 12 volts, the other side goes to some switch or sensor but not to ground. Terminal 30 is the common which has the 12 volts coming through the 20amp fuse, and terminal 87 is the normally open leg of the relay. You can cut the two red wires from 87 which go to the air pumps plug and crimp them together with the blue from the wp. Take the black of the wp to ground. Cut the constant hot brown on 85 or 86 I cant remember and wire nut or crimp off the hot and tape it up. Take the rest of the brown that still is connected to the relay and crimp that into the brown wire on the secondary fans coil which is connected to the ignition fuse and only gets power when the key is on. Take the other side of 85 or 86 which you havnt touched yet to ground. Now you have power coming into the coil of the relay when the ignition is on and going out the other side to ground so it pulls in the relay connecting your common constant 12 volts dc to your normally open leg of the relay, which is your blue wire which goes to the pump then back to ground on the black of the wp completing the circuit.

DO NOT use the ignition 12 volts directly to power the wp, it draws too much current for that circuit and will blow fuses. You need to only use the ignition 12 volts to energize a coil in a relay to close the normally open contacts between a direct 12 volt hot wire from the battery to the blue on the ewp. The ignition only has a 10amp fuse for a reason and the tiny little wires on that circuit are unsafe to put any more current through.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm my 93, I had to solder in a resistor to the circuit, and change a fuse to 30A, but my EWP runs off the AIR pump circuit. Look at Fastbird, I believe that's where I got the wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: electrical water pump help needed =/