My 383 rwhp estimate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 09-20-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man you drag racers . I ran a 13.5 et with 479 awesome rwhp on a mustang dyno and proud of it!!

Op. If you did your research you could have just picked a builder familiar with the ltx!! At least you asked now before you went to the track and got toasted by a Toyota brz owner and made his day (probably rest of his life )
Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Man you drag racers .
Op. If you did your research you could have just picked a builder familiar with the ltx!!
I did do my research. My machinist is very familiar with LTX's. If you read the OP I asked MY estimate on rwhp. Not urs. . . . . . . .
Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man you drag racers . I ran a 13.5 et with 479 awesome rwhp on a mustang dyno and proud of it!!
Plus ive seen too many lt1's with less rwhp run low 12's and high 11's. I wouldnt be happy with 479 rwhp if i only ran 13.5. Either you cant drive or someone with the dyno manipulated the numbers to make you happy!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
I did do my research. My machinist is very familiar with LTX's. If you read the OP I asked MY estimate on rwhp. Not urs. . . . . . . .
Talked the my friend this past week mentioning your build. He told me at one point Gary nuked one of the high dollar BBC engines he built for him. Said it ran terrible and Gary blamed him for a bad tune... come to find out the pistons had tons of play in all the cylinders and it also spun a bearing... all on a fresh motor. He stated that Gary held him high and dry and refused to fix the problem when he was confronted about the issue.

I know I've got no way of definitively "proving" things outside of heresay, but the person I'm referring to is extremely well known at Gateway and is very honest (and always has been as long as I've known him). Ask anyone at Gateway and they'll vouch for him. He flared up pretty good when I mentioned Gary Duckworth, and that's probably the second time I've seen him like that.

Take it for what you will. That was me asking on your behalf to see if he knew anything about Gary's work; particularly for how expensive he is.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Plus ive seen too many lt1's with less rwhp run low 12's and high 11's. I wouldnt be happy with 479 rwhp if i only ran 13.5. Either you cant drive or someone with the dyno manipulated the numbers to make you happy!
I was very happy. I actually waited after tripping the lights so the car beside me could take off so my friend could get a good exhaust clip. The 127.8 mph told me enough
Old 09-22-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Well it wasn't an estimate but I was only poking fun at the drag racers if your builder is familiar with ltx I was just surprised you would have to find out your compression is so low on your own..
Old 09-22-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Talked the my friend this past week mentioning your build. He told me at one point Gary nuked one of the high dollar BBC engines he built for him. Said it ran terrible and Gary blamed him for a bad tune... come to find out the pistons had tons of play in all the cylinders and it also spun a bearing... all on a fresh motor. He stated that Gary held him high and dry and refused to fix the problem when he was confronted about the issue.

I know I've got no way of definitively "proving" things outside of heresay, but the person I'm referring to is extremely well known at Gateway and is very honest (and always has been as long as I've known him). Ask anyone at Gateway and they'll vouch for him. He flared up pretty good when I mentioned Gary Duckworth, and that's probably the second time I've seen him like that.

Take it for what you will. That was me asking on your behalf to see if he knew anything about Gary's work; particularly for how expensive he is.
I am pretty sure that every good builder has had an issue here and there. Honestly I believe u. But the volume of work that he does from St. Louis, Illinois and all they way to New Jersey, Louisiana and down to Florida. People are not going to venture out thousands of miles for great machine work unless its worth it. Gary D does a lot of builds for Jerry Haas. He is well known chassis builder in the area and im pretty sure Jerry wouldnt recommend a mediocre machinist.

Did he find out the play was before or after the tune? In some cases a bad tune can result in a screwed up platform. I am pretty sure Gary has warrenties for short periods of time explaining what a buyer should or shouldnt do. If he would have let Gary do the tune on his engine dyno, Gary would have honored the screw - up if it was his fault. No questions asked. Did he let Gary build it from the ground up? Or did he tell Gary what parts he wanted to use. That makes a difference too. By the way what is your friends name? Im pretty sure Gary remembers a screw up.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your builder is familiar with ltx I was just surprised you would have to find out your compression is so low on your own..
I have talked with more than one machinest in the area an they all said 10:4, 10:5 is very streetable. I also told them I wanted to run pump gas. Most of them were a little a leary about going higher CR. I might just have to take some timiming out to run 11:1 whenevr i get to that point. People in the forum said that my CR was around 9:5 when it was actually 10:4 which was wayyyyy off. So i just used a CR calculator and discussed things with my machinest to make sure I would get the CR i wanted
Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure that every good builder has had an issue here and there. Honestly I believe u. But the volume of work that he does from St. Louis, Illinois and all they way to New Jersey, Louisiana and down to Florida. People are not going to venture out thousands of miles for great machine work unless its worth it. Gary D does a lot of builds for Jerry Haas. He is well known chassis builder in the area and im pretty sure Jerry wouldnt recommend a mediocre machinist.

Did he find out the play was before or after the tune? In some cases a bad tune can result in a screwed up platform. I am pretty sure Gary has warrenties for short periods of time explaining what a buyer should or shouldnt do. If he would have let Gary do the tune on his engine dyno, Gary would have honored the screw - up if it was his fault. No questions asked. Did he let Gary build it from the ground up? Or did he tell Gary what parts he wanted to use. That makes a difference too. By the way what is your friends name? Im pretty sure Gary remembers a screw up.
He didn't screw up the tune. His current motor runs like a raped ape. That's one thing he's VERY good at, and I can attest to that on several of my motors he's helped fine-tune (including my current motor). Gary built the motor from the ground up for him. Obviously he told him the specifications of what he wanted, but he's no noob to the racing world. He bought all high quality forged components. His name is Moose Mallicoat... drives the "Hellraiser" 67 Camaro. It's a low 8 second car. If you Google him you'll see lots of results including the car/pictures/statistics/whatever else.

I asked him how he knew specifically because that's a fairly large claim against Gary. He said he knew something was wrong as soon as he fired the motor up because it ran awful. To back up his claims, he validated this with another one of the big engine builders in the area. Moose allowed him to inspect it to prove to Gary he didn't have any part in screwing things up so hopefully Gary would either fix it or compensate him for the damage. These were back to back problems at separate timings, but immediately prominent. He went to Gary the first time to ask him what's going on, and the second time he went to the other person (can't recall his name)... in that regard, he would have another professional shop validate his claim so Gary wouldn't excuse it as a personal error from lack of proper setup; particularly because of how costly this build was. Moose told me "Gary did great work at one time, but he's just getting too old to do it now and he's not nearly as attentive to detail as he used to be".

If you've been to the track recently, this is his car and you've probably seen it quite a few times:

Last edited by DeltaElite121; 09-22-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have talked with more than one machinest in the area an they all said 10:4, 10:5 is very streetable. I also told them I wanted to run pump gas. Most of them were a little a leary about going higher CR. I might just have to take some timiming out to run 11:1 whenevr i get to that point. People in the forum said that my CR was around 9:5 when it was actually 10:4 which was wayyyyy off. So i just used a CR calculator and discussed things with my machinest to make sure I would get the CR i wanted
Yea, 10.4-10.5 very streetable in a standard sbc, that's unleaded farm fuel streetable on a cammed ltx. You should be 11.5-12.5. That tells me you keep talking to only sbc or bbc guys, NOT ltx guys.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

11:1 is still too low. When will you learn this? Granted it won't HURT you but for the numbers you're looking for you are going to need all the help you can get.

I used some generic figures in my original compression calculation (I used a CR calculator too) like deck height but you didn't give us all the details so for that I apologize. But IMO your compression is still far too low.

I HATE the term "streetable." It's just a widely used adjective to determine what people can and cannot stand in driving characteristics. What's streetable to me might not be streetable to you, but might be too docile for the next guy. It shouldn't be used in terms of what's good on the street and what isn't.

Your engine builders don't know what they're talking about when it comes to compression for the LT1. Listen to the guys on the forum.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
11:1 is still too low. When will you learn this? Granted it won't HURT you but for the numbers you're looking for you are going to need all the help you can get.

I used some generic figures in my original compression calculation (I used a CR calculator too) like deck height but you didn't give us all the details so for that I apologize. But IMO your compression is still far too low.

I HATE the term "streetable." It's just a widely used adjective to determine what people can and cannot stand in driving characteristics. What's streetable to me might not be streetable to you, but might be too docile for the next guy. It shouldn't be used in terms of what's good on the street and what isn't.

Your engine builders don't know what they're talking about when it comes to compression for the LT1. Listen to the guys on the forum.
When will you learn this, I am not building a race car!!!!!! If stock CR is 10:4, and im at 11:1 then i am fine! If I was building a race car then I would shoot for a higher CR. By the way are you a builder??? Or a machinest? My machinist has been building before you were probably born. That just doesnt justify that your right even when it comes to a LTX platform. Not being a dick, but what I am looking for and what your trying to make me do is two different things. . . . . . . . . . . . Sorry I dont have 12:5 CR
Old 09-23-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Your builder has been machining before anyone here was born.. Maybe just maybe that's why he has no frikkin clue what compression you should have ?? Before I say more perhaps some googling of 'compression ratio' might help. In fact go sit beside your builder hold hands and google it with an iPad so you can both see why you could use more of it.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your builder has been machining before anyone here was born.. Maybe just maybe that's why he has no frikkin clue what compression you should have ?? Before I say more perhaps some googling of 'compression ratio' might help. In fact go sit beside your builder hold hands and google it with an iPad so you can both see why you could use more of it.
Or maybe u could do the same to see why you are close to 500rwhp an only run 13.5. Maybe you need to purchase the BRZ since your car close to running the same time. Lmao!!! You probably built your car from Google anyways! Hence running a 13.5.............
Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Or maybe u could do the same to see why you are close to 500rwhp an only run 13.5. Maybe you need to purchase the BRZ since your car close to running the same time. Lmao!!! You probably built your car from Google anyways! Hence running a 13.5.............
Lmao maybe you should understand that I care nothing for et. And I paused to let the car beside me go down the track so my buddy on the side could get a clean sound clip. And ask your builder what would happen to a brz in a roll on race vs a 13.5 et @128 mph LMFAO
Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Compression doesn't equal racecar, most heads/cam setups on stock shortblocks are higher than 11:1. The LT4 warrantied and tuned for 91 octane with 100K mile tuneup interval was 10.8.

Far as your builder, often OLD OUTDATED knowledge stops people from doing things well today. Things change.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Compression doesn't equal racecar, most heads/cam setups on stock shortblocks are higher than 11:1. The LT4 warrantied and tuned for 91 octane with 100K mile tuneup interval was 10.8.

Far as your builder, often OLD OUTDATED knowledge stops people from doing things well today. Things change.
I do agree and understand. . . . . I just did not want to be screwed over that's why I asked the question that I did.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

. And ask your builder what would happen to a brz in a roll on race vs a 13.5 et @128 mph LMFAO
Dude I could care less. . . . . .
Old 09-23-2013, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You did get screwed over...by listening to old people.

Quick Reply: My 383 rwhp estimate?