LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 w/ P&P heads Vs. LT4...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You're over-thinking this build way too much. Pouring all of this money into a mild build will get you nowhere, especially in a featherweight car that will roast tires and go like stink no matter what turd you throw in it. The difference between some gaudy tri-y headers and rusty pacesetters won't even be discernible and the same goes with the rest of grandpa's SBC mumbo jumbo. I suggest you go drive a lightly modified LT1 car so you will realize that it doesn't take that much to build a stout gen 2 motor.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
You're over-thinking this build way too much. Pouring all of this money into a mild build will get you nowhere, especially in a featherweight car that will roast tires and go like stink no matter what turd you throw in it. The difference between some gaudy tri-y headers and rusty pacesetters won't even be discernible and the same goes with the rest of grandpa's SBC mumbo jumbo. I suggest you go drive a lightly modified LT1 car so you will realize that it doesn't take that much to build a stout gen 2 motor.
^^ This guy gets it ^^
Old 09-28-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Sbc

Listen to what Caprice and buf says, But if you don't want a computer controlled setup and this is your first build and do not want to shell out cash for no significant gains, why don't you just get a good ole small block 350, Believe me, an old school 350 with say vortec heads, cam, intake ect will be more than enough to move that little Z. I knew of a guy that went the same route you are going and at then end just was a smoke show at every light.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Listen to what Caprice and buf says, But if you don't want a computer controlled setup and this is your first build and do not want to shell out cash for no significant gains, why don't you just get a good ole small block 350, Believe me, an old school 350 with say vortec heads, cam, intake ect will be more than enough to move that little Z. I knew of a guy that went the same route you are going and at then end just was a smoke show at every light.
Gen 1 SBC(roller block), L98 aluminum heads(port them), Victor efi intake, 4 hole TB, Megasquirt engine control. Stock crank, stock rods, hyper pistons.

With the right cam, compression in a 355 like this the car would haul ***. and drive like stock.

Damn I may build one LOL.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully the OP hasn't started this yet, cuz I have a couple things to add. First of all, the LT1 mounts exactly like a regular SBC so if you have a kit to put a 350/350 in a Z, it bolts right in. Second, if you really want drive ability, you're going to hate life with a TH350 and a 2500 stall in a 2000lbs car. You're going to top out at about 60 mph on the highway unless you want to cruise at 4000 RPM. That, and the excessive amount of heat you're going to generate from the stall will make it a pain to drive. If you don't want a computer controlled tranny, just use a 700R4. B&M makes a lock up converter for it and you can even put it on a toggle switch. The mods are minor to make it fit in place of the TH350. In a 2000lbs car, you don't need a 2500 stall unless you're drag racing all the time which goes against the stated goal for your car. The torque is going to be so intrusive stock, that you're going to have stock in your local police dept. as it is, so don't make it worse with a stall. If you're buying an LT1/4L60 combo anyway, I would just freshen it up and slap it in-you won't have to modify the ECM this way. You can, but you won't have to.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
First off, I am wanting to drop a LT4 into a 1970 240z. That is my intent.

My question(s) is, since the main difference between the two (the LT1/LT4) is valve size and minor head design improvements, would porting and polishing the heads of an LT1 give me the same (if not better) results? Lt1 engines are much easier to find than Corvette LT4 engines, and I would want to P&P the heads no matter which one I find.

And can larger valves be put into LT1 heads (with the proper milling, etc)? People put larger valves into engines all the time, I do not see why it wouldnt be possible here.

My plan is to stay with the 350ci displacement, and just port/polish/blueprint/balance everything to make it as good as it should be. MSD ignition, LT4 "hotcam", Edelbrock intake/58mm TB's, Clear Image Tri-Y Impala SS headers (if they will fit in the Z-car). Chevy 350 engine, Chevy 350 transmission, 3.50 rear diff gears... with 350rwhp being my goal.

The Tri-Y headers help with lower RPM torque. And I have read about a good deal of milling that can be done to the heads/valves for low-valve-lift/low-RPM torque. This is not going to be a high-revving engine, so I want as much torque available as quickly as possible. And I want a nice smooth power curve for nice street manners. I want the car to drive smooth, I dont need anything fancy... its a 5.7L V8 going into a 2,000 pound car.
Mentioned earlier, since your 240 is light as a feather I wouldn’t aim for more torque. I would aim for GOOD low end torque & GREAT top end power. Too much low end torque in such a light car and you’ll never get the thing to hook causing to slow you down & be frustrating. Plus light cars like high RPMs. Thats why those cars come with 4 bangers. I would aim for a heads & cam package that makes 300tq at 3000 and 370 horse at 6400. Stock LT1’s makes enough torque to burn the tires in 4th gear in those 240’s. Power will be your friend in that car. Not torque! If you still want lots of low end torque than take that 240 and turn it into a drift car.

I think this is your inspiration though. Pretty cool. Yours would be a mild version in your case..

Last edited by 93Euphoria; 02-04-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
LT1 is hands down the better choice here.

To get 2.02/1.6 valves in LT1 aluminum heads you need new seats which is pissing money in the wind.

Edelbrock offerings for the LT1 are not worthwhile.

MSD ignition is at best a waste of money and if any result atall it will be to degrade the reliability of the stock system.

Clear Image's Tri-Ys are much talked about but don't buy into the hype, they are fine nothing more and in no way shape or form with the coin he charges. I have done business with him and so have friends and I would recommend you just find a SBC header that fits your chassis rather than worrying about the grossly over hyped Clear Image stuff.

With such a modest goal I would not even begin looking at a valve size change, stock valves are pretty good and will serve you just fine.

Some bowl work and a cam fitting your rpm range requirements and you should have no problem atall with that goal for cheap.

I would echo the comments about a stock TB opened up to 52mm or even one vendor I have seen offer 54mm if you really want big as possible and hassle free.

The LT4 manifold is NOT AN UPGRADE over the LT1 intake it just has more metal above the port, the internal ports are actually the same as the SMALL LT1 trapezoidal ports, the early LT1 rectangle ports are actually larger.

If done well torque is no issue in an LT1, worrying about making maximum lowend for a 2000lbs car is at best wildly ignorant, remember this engine came in the b-bodies with a base curb weight of TWICE what you say your car weighs. and a best ratio of 3.08 with most cars being 2.93 and the 4500lbs wagons often got 2.56 with a best of 2.93 with the 5000lbs tow package.

I know I just said you were wrong about a LOT but stop and think about the fact I have a over 4000lbs street car that can pull 1.5 short times and is still making good HP at the 7000 rpm pcm limits, peak HP being around 6400rpm so it is a high rpm motor AND makes more torque than your car could ever begin to use.

FWIW I have the Advancecd Induction 200cc package with a 228degree intake duration cam. Times in my sig are NA 150miles from home, valves in these heads are only 2.00/1.56 and this head has gone 9s NA in a bracket race 3400lbs f-body with a solid roller 383 putting down over 500rwhp. Does that make your questions about bigger valves seem kind of silly?

You are trying to spend a lot of money for a very modest goal.

If I were you and were making the shortblock rpm reliable I would sooner look at making broad power all the way to the pcm's limits than worrying about lownend. Unless the cam is almost deliberately screwedup an NA LT1 held below 7000rpm should have more lowend than you can use.
Pay attention to this guy. He knows what he's talking about.

As for porting the heads, you don't have to bother with that at all for 350rwhp. Just have them cut .010, hot tanked and new valves, etc.

Years ago I made 358rwhp and 370rwtq with stock untouched heads that had never been off the motor and a baby 224 intake duration cam. Just a completely stock engine with external bolt-ons, cam, rockers and springs. It was a setup that made more torque than stock straight from idle and was done by 6300 or so. Went severely traction-limited high 12s at 114.

But if you do decide to have the heads ported, don't have just anyone do it, have one of the two well-known porters here do it. You're most likely setting yourself up for disappointment otherwise. Conventional SBC wisdom like the vast majority of machine shops have, has no place anywhere near a Gen-2 LT1 head. You're actually better off running a stock head milled .010 with the ports and chambers untouched, than running a head that's been "ported and polished" by 90% of the folks out there.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just put stock LS1 or, if on a budget, 4.8-5.3 LS truck motor with a cam in it and be done with it....you don't need an extra 70-80 lbs of iron block LT1 in that little thing wrecking the weight distribution. The weight distribution difference on the front end is noticeable even in a heavy f-body...I'd imagine it's far worse in a car that light. Also, strongly consider a 6spd...far better for a track car, autocross, drifting, or anything else that car is intended for. Auto trans would be a travesty IMHO, unless it's a drag strip only car or you're a woman/disabled

Quick Reply: LT1 w/ P&P heads Vs. LT4...