LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lt1 help!!!!

Ok I just bought my first sports car 1996 formula firebird 5.7 lt1. Already has a little work. But what I want to know is where can I send my computer to be tuned or is there something I can buy to tune it myself? Sorry if this sounds dumb I'm new to this
Old 09-23-2013, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

You can get free tuner cats off internet. Load it on your laptop and get the right cord. Buuuut theres alot more to tuning then just pushing buttons ed wright is the prefferd choice around here. Hes a member. There are many other very experianced quality tuners on here for mail order tunning. Do a lil searching and you will get all the info you could ever dream of
Old 09-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Your car is a 96 which means you have an OBD2 computer. You can tinker with bins all you'd like but the software required to pull and write tunes onto the physical computer in your car is very expensive, as is the cable and datalogging software. It's best to have someone else tune an OBD2 PCM because doing it yourself is more money than it's worth.

However, if you want to be able to tune your car by yourself on the fly then you will need to convert to OBD1. Some emissions laws will prevent you from doing this... My car is a 96 and I've converted to OBD1 even though it's not exactly legal in my county. There are a few guys I know who will "inspect" my car despite my mods.

To convert to OBD1 you'll need a PCM from any 94-95 car with a LT1 (pull from a junkyard caprice, roadmaster, etc.), a 94-95 f-body LT1 knock sensor, and an ALDL to USB cable (~$60). Install Tunepro RT (free) and the Winflash trial (free, you can always reinstall it when it expires). Only then will you be able to read, edit, and write tune files and datalog without it being extremely expensive.

Quick Reply: Lt1 help!!!!