LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 1997 Camaro Z28 Ignition issue!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LT1 1997 Camaro Z28 Ignition issue!!!!!!!

Hi, I have a 1997 Camaro Z28.its runs 10's in a 1/4 mile with NOS. The ENGINE SENSOR fuse keeps blowing when i turn the key on. The 'bank 1' header O2 is disconnected from the car..whomever wired the car wasnt a professional. wires are EVERYWHERE, at least 20+.. things replaced due to ignition: upgraded ICM, new distributor, MSD coil, new Street Fire CD ignition box.. when the key is turned, the CD Ign. box turns on and immediately cuts off as well as does the ENGINE SENSOR fuse. Shorting wire somewhere!!! what, do i check, what all goes to the ENGINE SENSOR fuse? its been 4 days of none stop working on it and nothing.. before i installed the Street Fire box, the car would turn over and over but never fire..no power was coming from the Mallory CD box that was installed before me..so i didnt wanna fool with it so i purchased a new box. so as i installed it, then came the blowing fuse problem..I would pay >>>>$300+ for anyone to fix this and get the car to run, I'm desperate. Mechanic shops say hooking a computer to it wouldnt solve anything..idk if thats true. I need MAJOR HELP FAST , please, any advice is needed, other than "buy a working car, or not an LT1", this car is worth around $16 grand+ and i got it for 3 grand because my friend is moving and he cant haul it.

1997 Camaro Z28- 396 stroker, comp heads/cam, race intake, BBK TB, full Corsa exhaust, bult race trans, 3.73 gear, Nitrous Express 300 shot. etc mods, 10.68sec 1/4mile
Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!

Sounds like you bought someone's headache. Do you have access to a factory shop manual? It appears that you have a dead short somewhere, and need a wiring diagram to trace pretty much everything in the front end harness....
Old 10-06-2013, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would start by bypassing the aftermarket box, probably just rearanging some connectors.

If the wiring is that bad though I might be inclined t get a used unmolested harness and start clean.

Far as the value of the car there is a guy here with a car almost as fast NA that is well done not a hacked up basket case and he has had it listed at $10K for YEARS and last I heard it hadn't sold. Your's isn't worth half of $16k
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
.....Far as the value of the car there is a guy here with a car almost as fast NA that is well done not a hacked up basket case and he has had it listed at $10K for YEARS and last I heard it hadn't sold. Your's isn't worth half of $16k
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to burst the poor guy's bubble. He has enough problems right now.

On that note, I've considered selling my REALLY DECENT, fairly low mileage (for an 18 year old car), '96 Z-28 off and on, for the last couple of years. The best offers I got were between $3800-4000. For that little amount, I'll keep it, as it doesn't owe me anything, and my only real cost is plates and insurance....

Quick Reply: LT1 1997 Camaro Z28 Ignition issue!!!!!!!