LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil in the Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the radiator.

Originally Posted by I Shine
When I check the coolant level in the radiator I can see a little bit of oil floating on top of the coolant. After further inspection the under side of the radiator cap has a thick black grease film. The inside of the filler neck has this same film. There is no signs of water in the oil and the engine runs strong. The engine appears to have been well taken care of. I'm thinking maybe it previously had a blown head gasket and the radiator was not properly flushed. Can this grease be flushed out of the radiator ? Should I just take the radiator out, fill it full of a de-greaser, and give a good flush. Or maybe just buy a new radiator.
This is a common problem with LS1. The oil is from the power steering cooler. It's an insert in between the outlet from the block into the upper radiator hose. You can buy a Cooler relocater kit and delete the cooler. It gets corroded and then will begin to leak. The oil can be identified by collecting some and then baking it in an oven or on a burner. As the water evaporates you will be able to id it as power steering fluid. You will need to flush the system good. Using dawn dish soap

Quick Reply: Oil in the Radiator