LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water in Firebird Tail lights

Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water in Firebird Tail lights

Well if finally happened. Car has been sitting around since the engine is hydro-locked. However the last 3 years I have been watching the colors change in my Lt1 sytle tail lights on my Formula. Anyways left for work this week and after a week of rain there is water in my drivers side tail light. I have a feeling the passenger side is not that far behind.

I have looked around but just find right ups on the Ls1 Honeycomb style tail lights. Has anyone done the lt1 style or are they just like the honeycombs. I also have the fading on the black sections of the tail light.

Kinda like this one where the top is a grey almost white and the bottom is still black. (This is not my taillight, this is one raided from ebay.)

I would like to try to restore these lights as I am also trying to pull the motor in a week to check it out and see what it needs to rebuild or what I can raid for the next one. I want this car back on the road.

Edit: Forgot to add the link to the one thing I found

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/4th-gen-...amp-rehab.html
Old 12-13-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

My taillights were delaminating as well. I did what forums user "dubga" came up with in the following thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...new-again.html

Basically, wetsand the lights with 1500~2500 grit paper, apply vinyl stencils from Brent Franker, paint the grid pattern back on using VHT Nightshades paint (5~6 coats), peel the vinyl stencils off, lightly wetsand again, paint it all with several coats of clearcoat, wetsand, then polish them back out.

Took some effort, but my delaminating lights look brand new now:

Before (+ wetsanding):
Water in Firebird Tail lights-wb1s4hpl.jpg

After:
Water in Firebird Tail lights-mupqh18l.jpg

Water in Firebird Tail lights-yui9mf3l.jpg

Don't have a straight shot from behind the car, unfortunately. I also did the center plastic section between the lights, so everything is color-matched.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, I didn't realize your lenses are cracked. [Edit] Apparently that's not your light. Nevermind.

I can't help you with the water leaking problem -- I've never physically torn the lights apart. You'd obviously first need to locate the leak.

I was merely showing that you can technically fix the grids. As far as I know, this is the ONLY way you can fix the grids themselves, else you need to buy new/undamaged taillights. I believe Brent Franker tried fixing the grids from the inside, and it didn't work.

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 12-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Fix -

Remove the lamp housings, then drill small drain holes in the bottom of each chamber, to allow the water to drain out.

(Yes, I know, it does not address the root cause of the problem, just a symptom.)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
My taillights were delaminating as well. I did what forums user "dubga" came up with in the following thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...new-again.html

Basically, wetsand the lights with 1500~2500 grit paper, apply vinyl stencils from Brent Franker, paint the grid pattern back on using VHT Nightshades paint (5~6 coats), peel the vinyl stencils off, lightly wetsand again, paint it all with several coats of clearcoat, wetsand, then polish them back out.

Took some effort, but my delaminating lights look brand new now:

Before (+ wetsanding):

After:

Don't have a straight shot from behind the car, unfortunately. I also did the center plastic section between the lights, so everything is color-matched.
Looks good. I wonder if you could do this from the backside. Maybe Remove all the black and respray from the inside. If not at least these look really good.

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
Sorry, I didn't realize your lenses are cracked. [Edit] Apparently that's not your light. Nevermind.

I can't help you with the water leaking problem -- I've never physically torn the lights apart. You'd obviously first need to locate the leak.

I was merely showing that you can technically fix the grids. As far as I know, this is the ONLY way you can fix the grids themselves, else you need to buy new/undamaged taillights. I believe Brent Franker tried fixing the grids from the inside, and it didn't work.
Leak is from the seal on the top. Or at least that is what I am guessing. I have seen how to take the seal out. Its just a cheap gasket. You can just silicon them back together.

Originally Posted by great421
Quick Fix -

Remove the lamp housings, then drill small drain holes in the bottom of each chamber, to allow the water to drain out.

(Yes, I know, it does not address the root cause of the problem, just a symptom.)
I have herd this but its not enough to leak out. Its just enough right now to fog up the tail lights. Would like to be able to keep these sealed up when I take them apart.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

I know this isn't your exact problem, but does anyone know where to get the gaskets that go around the bulb sockets?? I get water in my tail lights due to missing a few of them.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I know this isn't your exact problem, but does anyone know where to get the gaskets that go around the bulb sockets?? I get water in my tail lights due to missing a few of them.
Maybe a junk yard. Otherwise maybe the dealer or autoparts store. Cant find it on gm parts direct.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm bummer. Most parts stores tell me the only way they can get them is by ordering the pigtails, I don't want to pay $15+ per gasket that way.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

throw a couple grains of rice in them... they will absorb the moisture. then you can dump them out and eat some rice!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Bumping this up. Since the engine is coming out of the car I decided to look into my tail light. Well the drivers side had a gallon of water in it. Anyways decided the seal was the problem. I put them in the open at 200 for 12 mins. Pulled them out to more delamination.

Here is what they look like.

Anything I can do or is it a hunt for a set of of tail lights. Thinking some v6 with a load of nightshade.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use clear RTV sealant. Glue and seal them up. That's what I did with mine. Worked like a charm.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You could have just drilled 3 holes under the light and called it day. Works like a charm...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water in Firebird Tail lights