LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust idea

So right now my my exhaust is pretty much a Frankenstein exhaust with a bunch of different pipes clamped together. My problem is the clamps loosen a lot and the pipes sag down, they bang the floorboards and its all really annoying.
I tried to draw a picture to explain how it is setup:

I don't really want to spend all the money on a brand new catback and I can't find much used around me. My idea is to buy these two parts from dynomax #45593 and then #42273. Would these two premodern parts connect my header y-pipe all the way to the muffler?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

See if you can get in with a good exhaust place and get them to heat your pipes and give them a bit of pressure so you slightly bend them so they stay clear of youre car
Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

I would just have it welded if they are clamped like that. If it's sagging I would get rid of that 3in. pipe and pull the cat back all the way up to the cutout and have it welded, that'ss what I did on my car.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Well I can't find a shop close enough that can make me a whole pipe one piece. I don't see how I would find a shop that could do all that for like 110 it would cost for the new pipe. Any reason those pipes wouldn't work?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would run a bullet after the cut off with a dump, sounds better, flows better, less weight.....

Also why run 3 in pipe then back to 2.75? Keep all the pipe the same size
Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I would run a bullet after the cut off with a dump, sounds better, flows better, less weight.....

Also why run 3 in pipe then back to 2.75? Keep all the pipe the same size
The picture is showing how my exhaust is now. The 3" pipe are various pipes I've bought from autozone when replacing my cats and adding the cutout. So I was cutting the stock exhaust as I went.

I'm trying to get 3" all the way back now in full piece pipes like the catbacks are instead of a bunch of autozone pipes clamped together.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Invest in a welder, 4" electric cut off wheel and get to fabricating.

I will never pay an exhaust shop $$ to make anything for me ever again except to flare ends if I need it or to buy straight section of pipe.

You can buy mandrel bends online and make your own.

I found a flux core Lincoln welder on craigslist for $125 or so a year back. Has worked flawlessly for making exhaust on a DD cars lol.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

^ this if you can swing it, I modified my TSP rumbler to work on my lt1 single cat system, had an exhaust shop weld it on, make hangers, and weld the 4" corsas on, was like 200 bucks and even then there was alot of banging that had to be massaged a bit by ourselves. Better off doing it yourself sometimes. Even though I wanted to use most of the clamps that came with the kit he welded it all up, going to be impossible to get the exhaust off of the car now, but I don't think its going anywhere.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

And I will only use Summit SS lap style or butt style band clamps. I hate having an exhaust that is fully welded, makes it a pain to remove.

What's worse is those damn cheap U clamps...I despise those and anyone that uses them!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Invest in a welder, 4" electric cut off wheel and get to fabricating.

I will never pay an exhaust shop $$ to make anything for me ever again except to flare ends if I need it or to buy straight section of pipe.

You can buy mandrel bends online and make your own.

I found a flux core Lincoln welder on craigslist for $125 or so a year back. Has worked flawlessly for making exhaust on a DD cars lol.
That's what I did too. Bought the tools and built my own exhaust in all stainless. It came our great and I had a lot of fun doing it. Plus I have the satisfaction of knowing it is done right.

See here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/17799355-post25.html
Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

I don't really want to get a welder, I don't have the desire to make a full custom exhaust at this time. I just want something that works and is cheap. That's why I don't see why those 2 pipes wouldn't work. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those 2 pipes (put together) essentially a 3 inch catback minus the muffler and tips?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a 3in setup all ready, until it meet up with the rear.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

What clamps are you using? If you are using U clamps you could probably strenghten it up by buying some Band clamps.

I wouldnt buy any more actual exhaust parts until you can afford a real catback. Most of the time a used catback will require additional work if someone has already welded the tips on or cut it in half to get it off the car.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trilkb
What clamps are you using? If you are using U clamps you could probably strenghten it up by buying some Band clamps.

I wouldnt buy any more actual exhaust parts until you can afford a real catback. Most of the time a used catback will require additional work if someone has already welded the tips on or cut it in half to get it off the car.
I am using crappy autozone clamps which is bad, but what I'm trying to do with these 2 parts is make the exhaust more like a single 3" unit, like a cat back instead of five different 3 inch pipes clamped together. I would just keep my muffler and tips I have now because I like them.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do what I did. Run Bullets right off the headers boom done.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wallj
I don't really want to get a welder, I don't have the desire to make a full custom exhaust at this time. I just want something that works and is cheap. That's why I don't see why those 2 pipes wouldn't work. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those 2 pipes (put together) essentially a 3 inch catback minus the muffler and tips?
Yes, You are correct sir;
I have had those on my car for 19 years.
They can be had dead cheap,look around
Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Bumping this back up for a final answer before I order. I know I need dynomax #45593 which is the intmediate pipe. But I can't figure out which over the axle pipe. Originally I thought I needed dynomax #42273 for that but now I'm wondering if I need dynomax#53061 instead. Any answers?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does Dynomax still make those pipes, I tried to order then about 2 years ago and they said they were discontinued. If they are still making them let us know. I had a bright idea to run a true dual 3 inch set-up at one time and I was going to use two of these.

Quick Reply: Exhaust idea