LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 better than the LS1 for everyday driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
If you can't afford an LS1, buy an LT1. Still not a bad deal.
Pretty much sums up the thread right here. With the prices dropping ever so slightly year after year, the junkyard truck motors are getting cheaper and cheaper and the 4th gen LS cars are getting cheaper and cheaper. It will never be the honda civic of any generation but if a high school kid works and saves for a couple years they could skip right up the foodchain with a stock ls1. I wish they had been cheaper when I was in school.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I decided to buy a white 96 Camaro z28 LT1 6 speed with a 3:42 rear. It is a solid roof no T-tops, leather interior, 74000 miles. Un- modded the Lt1 gets 1-2 mpg less than a ls1, not a big deal. I like the feeling of low end torque not higher reving engines. Same with motorcycles, the bike with more low end torque just feels faster with normal driving where you don't rev the engine to the moon. Plus the Lt1 does sound better than a Ls1 in general. I think this car with it's m6 and some sticky tires it might run a high 13 in the 1/4 which is plenty fast enough for me. But again I am just using it to drive to work and have a little fun while doing it. If I ever get a itch for all out speed I would get a Ls1 and do some mods and be in the high 12's. Lt1 for now!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Having never seen an LS1 needing knock sensors, I'd say you had a lemon or some mis diagnoses. As far as off-idle torque, my LS1 will blow the tires off much worse from a dead stop than either of my LT1 cars. All 3 cars with the same rear end. Your '99 may have been a turd to boot. I have had examples of both engines across my dyno that dynoed 50 rwhp below average.

Buy that LT1 car cheaper, have to buy more fuel to drive it every day, then have to spend more money and time on it to just make it run as fast as a decent LS1.

And, each newer version of the LS engines keep getting better. Flatter torque curves, more peak power, etc. If you can't afford an LS1, buy an LT1. Still not a bad deal.
I dont know about the LS1s but its pretty common on the LS trucks. Ive changed quite a few of them. They suck because you have to pull the manifold, with that said pulling a manifold on a LS is way easier than on an LT1.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are only two reasons Id take an LT1 over an LS1 for a DD.

1. I put a lot of miles on my DDs, and for high mileage stuff (like over 200K) Ive seen a little better engine (rotating assembly and major stuff) reliability out of stock LT1s than I have LS1s.

2. I think a LT1 WS6 is the best looking 4th gen fbody.

I love lt1s, but I hate working on them, im just used to it. I like the underdog stuff, all my friends refer to mine as a boat anchor or slow *** LT1 even though it can drag many of them. I think having a crappy LT1 is fun, not better, big difference.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

LT1s leak so much oil that when the opti isn't broken, there is a puddle under em.

All the time.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell this is a ls1 site lol. well I will still be driving my lt1 at 300000 miles while you have rebuilt the high rpm ls1 3 times by then!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
LT1s leak so much oil that when the opti isn't broken, there is a puddle under em.

All the time.
Mine is doing that now.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
If I ever get a itch for all out speed I would get a Ls1 and do some mods and be in the high 12's. Lt1 for now!
Why the hell would you need the LS1 to run high 12s? Put a cam in it with full bolt ons and you'll be mid 12s if you can drive worth a damn.

And my gas mileage with cam was pretty much unchanged from full bolt ons. I have 4.10s and get about 16/20.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I can tell this is a ls1 site lol. well I will still be driving my lt1 at 300000 miles while you have rebuilt the high rpm ls1 3 times by then!
Heres a fun fact for you, a local friend ran 10s on 7 cylinders with his LS1.

Show me an LT1 that can do that. Stock bottom end, stock pistons, hole in one.

Till then, all hail the LS1. Its bettaaaaaaa
Old 02-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Teching In

For some the LT1 underdog route is the one they want to take. Its enthusiasts that keep these cars alive. LS1 vs LT1 is a pissing match not worth doing anymore. Beating a dead horse. I live by my LT1. Yeah its "slow". That's a relative term anyways. But by any means my mint LT1 turns more heads than that junker run of the mill ls1 z28 that's been beat to hell street racing on snowflakes with a plastidipped Berger panel. And taht super loud exhaust ie removed stock muffler on stock piping. That's all I see around my area. Clean LT1 cars are a rare sighting. But LS1 cars are on every street corner. Nothing against the clean LS1 cars. Hell my brother has a NBM 99 SS that I really like and enjoy driving. Would I ever own one..no but that's just me. Personal preference is what drives people. To each there own. Just IMHO
Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

If someone cant put a tuned bolt on Lt1 in the 12s they have issues!
LtX, LsX
Who cares they both beat up mustangs,chargers,challengers lol im good
Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't really want to get into the motor and put in a new cam that's why I wont run mid 12's with a lt1. I want to keep the engine internals stock so I don't run into reliability issues. If I was buying a motor to build up internally I would build a 383 stroker with aluminum heads and a roller cam for low to mid range punch with around 450-500 hp. I just want a reliable relatively fast car for driving to work to take the boredom out of the commute!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:27 AM
TECH Junkie

With the addition of 1.6 rockers and a set of real valvesprings thats as far as you would need to go into that motor...to be honest with the age and mileage creeping up on either platform i would change the springs on either!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

if this car fits in your budget & is fun 2 drive im glad 4 you, congrats on your new ride. the only weak spot on a ls1 is the valve springs. upgrade those and the ls1 engine will take a lickn & keep on tickn just like a timex (watch 4 you young guys)
Old 02-03-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't really want to get into the motor and put in a new cam that's why I wont run mid 12's with a lt1. I want to keep the engine internals stock so I don't run into reliability issues. If I was buying a motor to build up internally I would build a 383 stroker with aluminum heads and a roller cam for low to mid range punch with around 450-500 hp. I just want a reliable relatively fast car for driving to work to take the boredom out of the commute!
An fbody LT1 already has aluminum heads and is roller...

Doing a cam swap doesn't hinder reliability unless you do something wrong.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Quality aftermarket parts > old and beaten up stock parts

Weaker pushrods, valve float inducing springs, stamped rockers, and old hardware vs shiny new go fast parts made to take a beating... Unless you botch the install or rev it to the moon, I don't see how a cam swap would noticeably compromise the motor's reliability.

The rear is a completely different story...
Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Hands down, the LS engine is better than the LT. I've owned both.

What you might save buying the LT car vs. the LS car you'll spend getting it to run good-and stay running good.

Did you all see this? Note #1: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...e-posting.html
Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

LT1s go mid 12's and even faster on just bolt ons. If you have to get into the internals just to get into the 12's then you're doing something wrong. Also just because an engine has internal work doesn't mean it's unreliable. It all depends on the parts used and the builder. LT1s have roller cams and aluminum heads stock by the way.

The biggest issue on LT1s for most are optisparks, which is a whole 'nother topic by itself but it's blown out of proportion. If the opti really bothers you get a 95-97 F-body as they have the vented opti which was more reliable. The LS1's quirk is piston slap which is quite common with them - however once again it's not a big deal and people blow it out of proportion. BOTH motors are extremely reliable and will survive for a very long time, even when beaten on.

LT1s are typically much cheaper than LS1s when compared. For instance around here you can net a VERY nice LT1 with low miles (50k or less) for around 7k. For a comparable LS1 they are 13k+. At that point you might as well get a C5 IMHO.

The main reason why LS1s are popular is because they are better mod for mod. It generally goes: Stock LT1<Stock LS1<Bolton LT1<Bolton LS1<Cam'd LT1<Cam'd LS1<H/C LT1<H/C LS1 etc etc. This trend continues until you tear into both motors and then it all goes out the window. Both motors are very high horsepower capable.

However it seems to me that you don't care necessarily about modding so I'd recommend an LT1 so you can save some cash on the car purchase. You WILL have fun with one, I guarantee it. Plus you can use the cash you saved from not buying an LS1 and throw it at your car to make it faster. Even in stock form though, an LT1 will beat most of the cars out there.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well AlmonzT/A you are correct I bought a LT1 and I love it. I got a 96 z28 white exterior, black leather interior, 6 speed, hard top, 3:42 rear, stainless steel exhaust already on it, and only mod to the engine is the k&n CAI. The car has 70K and it looks like it has about 20 or 30K, it is a 9 out of 10. I am very happy with it. It burns through first sometimes fries through 2nd gear and chirps in third. I may need to get some street slicks for better hook-up. I love the 6 speed! Oh, and I need to get that stock tape player out of it for a nice cd player lol. Should make the drive to work a little more interesting.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Well AlmonzT/A you are correct I bought a LT1 and I love it. I got a 96 z28 white exterior, black leather interior, 6 speed, hard top, 3:42 rear, stainless steel exhaust already on it, and only mod to the engine is the k&n CAI. The car has 70K and it looks like it has about 20 or 30K, it is a 9 out of 10. I am very happy with it. It burns through first sometimes fries through 2nd gear and chirps in third. I may need to get some street slicks for better hook-up. I love the 6 speed! Oh, and I need to get that stock tape player out of it for a nice cd player lol. Should make the drive to work a little more interesting.
Congratz Be careful on here or soon all of your money will go into mods and you'll be eating Ramen every night

Quick Reply: LT1 better than the LS1 for everyday driving