LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

questions on y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions on y pipe

hi, im new here. i just purchased a 1995 firehawk #0635. it has a borla cat back exhaust currently and i have questions on installation of a y pipe. im not quite sure which one will work or what i will have to do about the o2 sensors, whether the check engine light will come on or not. if so how do i go about eliminating it. im planning on an off road y pipe. i am definitely looking at this one but unsure if it will work. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...15#moreDetails

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i love my car so far, and look forward to learning more about it and learning more from you guys.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Your car is OBD1 so you don't have to worry about downstream O2 sensors. You can unplug them and the SES light won't come on.

That y-pipe will be a waste of money if you ever put a real set of headers on it. You already plan on removing the cat so there's no reason not to get a set of long tubes and a good 3" off road Y. The stock exhaust manifolds are a huge bottleneck to begin with and that JEGS ORY can only be used with stock, shorties, and mids. Waste of time and money IMO.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely go straight to headers; if cost is an issue, JEGS has Pacesetter mid tubes (including the y pipe) for only $316; not quite the HP gains as longtubes, certainly a noticeable gain though (20ish), and sound great. You don't have to buy a separate Y pipe or have a custom one made like you would with longtubes, and MUCH better ground clearance. Definitely go mid-tubes if you ever plan on lowering the car like mine is.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get long tubes or don't waste your time and money.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrwilliams95z28
^Nonsense....depends on what you are doing with the car; I know apples to oranges, but my LS1 Firehawk has longtubes and they are great, don't get me wrong, BUT I could never lower that car because they hang so low, they already scrape on speedbumps unless you are very careful hitting the right angle. There's quite a bit less ground clearance than my other 94' which has a 1.5 drop running mid tubes. I do agree to go longtubes IF you know you are staying stock "4x4" ride height

It's a compromise for sure, got to give something up (10-15hp) to gain something somewhere else (ground clearance/no body roll/no brake dive/vastly improved handling/cheaper/looks better ).

Last edited by ahritchie; 02-12-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm lowered with long tubes, no ***** given. I never scrape the collectors but my Pacesetter Y is a different story... I drag it on everything but that could probably be fixed with a little bending.

And the stock "4x4" height makes me wanna barf. The front seems to sit slightly higher than the back and it really bothers me.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

OP,
Usually pre-fabbed y-pipes like that are not a direct install, so some bending may have to be done. If emissoins is a concern then I'd get someone to flange the cat and fab up a test pipe, also flanged. That way if you go to the track and/or get car inspected you can change out the cat when the need arises. If emissions are of no concern then I'd do LT headers.

Originally Posted by jrwilliams95z28
Some cannot get away with this. Texas is becoming more like California every day. When I lived there it was a solid bitch to try and get my car passed and that was 14 years ago.

Quick Reply: questions on y pipe