LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

K&N FIPK, replacement cone filter alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N FIPK, replacement cone filter alternatives

I'm thinking about ditching the K&N filter from the FIPK intake... As I've had bad experiences with oiled filters in the past. But I don't want to go back to the stock air box. Anyone else swapped the K&N cone filter for some other cone filter that isn't oiled?

I found this Amsoil filter, and the dimensions are almost identical to the K&N. Part number is EAAU4070 (k&n replacement filter for the LT1 FIPK is RF-1015) the difference is the longer flange length, and top outer diameter is slightly smaller.

Also found this filter from AEM. Their DryFlow filter, part number 21-2057DK. The bottom outside diameter is a little smaller than the k&n or Amsoil, (5.75" vs 6") but the top outside diameter is larger than the Amsoil (4.75" vs 4") and a little larger than the k&n. (4.75" vs 4.5") So it doesn't taper as much... and the flange length is longer than the k&n (0.938" vs 0.625") but shorter than the Amsoil. (0.938" vs 1.75")

It should be noted, both filters above have the same 4" flange diameter and 7" filter length as the RF-1015. The RF-1015 as fitting to the FIPK, for reference

Last edited by Wheelman916; 04-23-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Also found this Airaid cone filter. From their SynthaMax dry filter line. Part number 701-458. Flange diameter of 4" and flange length simply labeled as "short" with a bottom outside diameter of 7" and top outside diameter of 4 and 5/8ths inches. (4.625") Filter length is 7" like the rest above.

If the space where the filter rests can accommodate the additional inch of bottom diameter, this filter should have a larger basic surface area and internal volume than any of the above options, including the original K&N. (Not accounting for pleats in the filter design, which increases actual surface area)

Last edited by Wheelman916; 04-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

OK...I'll bite. How do you have bad experiences with an oiled filter?

Just pick a "dry filter" with same flange ID to bolt on to the intake tube and one that fits in the fender....done.

Nothing hard about it.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smitty2919
OK...I'll bite. How do you have bad experiences with an oiled filter?

Just pick a "dry filter" with same flange ID to bolt on to the intake tube and one that fits in the fender....done.

Nothing hard about it.
The oil working its way up the intake tract. Fouling sensors. Increased flow also allowing more, and larger, particulate matter in to the intake tract.

MAF on my Saleen went out on me twice while running a JLT intake and K&N filter. Switched back to the stock intake, removed the air silencer, with an Amsoil drop-in dry filter... MAF was fine ever since.

Was the K&N filter 100% beyond a reasonable doubt, to blame for the pair of MAF failures? Can't say for sure. But I can say, the inside of that JLT intake tube has a slightly oily residue inside of it, with plenty of dust stuck to it that made it past the filter.

I don't hate oiled filters. I just prefer not to use them. I personally didn't feel a huge power difference between the oiled cotton filter versus a good dry filter. I'm sure the K&N could make more power if I cared to dyno test back to back. But the mess and headaches are not worth the few extra ponies, in my personal opinion.

I'm just wondering if anyone else running a FIPK has swapped for a different filter, and if so, which one? I've found several options, which I've shared, but I would be interested in others that people have found.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

Then it was oiled too much. Never had an issue with any of my K&N's whether it be a flat panel filter in a OEM air box or a cone filter on an aftermarket CAI.

But anywho, I'd say just pick one that fits and go with it.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you figure out one that fits report back please.

I want to do the same thing,
I'm sick of the oiled filter as well
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N's don't filter for **** and they are worthless for power gains. There's absolutely no reason to run a K&N filter out there when you can get a dry/paper one.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I pulled the trigger on the AEM DryFlow filter. Part number 21-2058DK. The dimensions are a little different than those of the filters listed above.

It has a 4" inlet, of course, but the flange is 1.438" long. Which is over twice the length of the original K&N. Some trimming might be necessary. Other than that, this filter is a straight round filter... With an outside diameter of 6" top and bottom. No "cone" tapering. It also has a 7" filter height, matching the original K&N.

After reading up on the various dry filters, AEM was my choice primarily due to filtering efficiency. Supposedly, it can match or even beat the filtering efficiency of a comparable sized cellulose (paper) filter... Though it's flow rates are only marginally better than a comparable sized cellulose filter as well.

But it is hard, if not impossible, to get an OEM quality cellulose filter in a clamp-on cone shape like those used on cold air intakes. Some people retrofit cylindrical paper filters meant for other applications. But I was looking for something a little easier than that.

The big question becomes: So why not switch back to the stock air box and paper panel filter? Well, despite the filter material being almost as restrictive as paper, this setup should still outflow the stock air box simply because the large cylindrical filter element has much greater surface area compared to the panel filter in the stock air box. Add in the bonus of drawing in cold air from the K&N intake's relocated filter location... and the filter being cleanable... and I'm thinking this intake should offer a good balance of decent flow over stock, without compromising filtering efficiency, and long life compared to repeatedly replacing a stock paper filter.

Should arrive next week. I will let everyone know how the install goes.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm subscribe. I bought a CAI off ebay when I bought my car in 2007. It runs 3.5 tubing and I measured the filter after I saw this thread and it was only 5 inches.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Got my AEM DryFlow filter today. I was pretty anxious to install it, so I didn't take any picture prior to install.

Anyway, with the 1.438" flange, it does hang down a bit lower than the K&N... and trimming the flange would have no effect. The interior of the flange has a stopper... So the plastic intake tube would need to be trimmed back rather than the flange being shortened.

To make room for the lower hanging filter, I did some trimming of the plastic under the car. Should allow some additional cold air in, as well...

The K&N that came out was disgusting. Should be a huge improvement in clean air coming in now.
Attached Thumbnails K&N FIPK, replacement cone filter alternatives-image.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

You can add an upside down scoop to "catch" more air. Unless the old filter was glogged. I wouldnt expect a big gain. Maybe a gain in fuel economy on the highway
Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

I think I'm going to pick up an AEM DryFlow Pre Filter wrap. This one is sized about right to fit my filter. #1-4007

With the hole cut in the lower panel, I figure a pre filter should help with any splashes of water or sudden clouds of particulate and dust.

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK, replacement cone filter alternatives