LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Am I running too rich to even drive it to the dyno??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I running too rich to even drive it to the dyno??

I believe I may need to get my 95 T/A dyno tuned again. It was dyno tuned about 6 years ago and I have since installed over the radiator CAI, removed a few more emissions like EVAP, installed EWP, and turndowns with no mufflers at all (I may install bullets soon). It seems to be running rich now. The fumes burn my eyes, and it smokes a little. Theres a tuner about 25 minutes from me. Can you guys check the video (starts at about 1:40) and look at the smoke and tell me if its a good idea to drive it that far? No SES light is on, it runs good, and it isn't fouling plugs. Im not sure what all has made it run rich? It was dyno tuned with bullets before. I leave the battery unhooked most of the time over these 2 or 3 years its been sitting in the garage. Ive been working on it here and there, painting it, and only drive it around the block every month or 2. Do you think maybe it just needs to be driven? Doesn't the computer have to relearn after the batter is unhooked? Also, when I removed all the EVAP stuff, the SES light came on. I put a resistor to trick the PCM and it went away.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 PM

It looks like you need valve seals on the black one. On the red one, the smoke looks like condensation. Are you running cats? Typically when you run rich it should smell like a lawn mower or a dirt bike, with no cats that is. If it is burning your eyes it is likely running lean.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
It looks like you need valve seals on the black one. On the red one, the smoke looks like condensation. Are you running cats? Typically when you run rich it should smell like a lawn mower or a dirt bike, with no cats that is. If it is burning your eyes it is likely running lean.
Yeah Im fine with the black one, its just a tiny puff on startup. The orange smells rich. It smells like gas. Right now and in this video its straight piped with turn downs.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Worst case scenario is its running really fat and will wash the cylinder walls down
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DUDCOUPE
Worst case scenario is its running really fat and will wash the cylinder walls down
That's what I'm afraid of. I have too much time in this car so I'm paranoid. I'm gonna check the plugs soon and maybe clean the O2's, MAF. Its been sitting for so long. I'm also thinking about buying Tunercats and just teaching myself how to tune it.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Also, its running really cool. The engine never even attempts to go past 180/190. Im not even sure what thermostat is in it.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Could these plugs be causing it to run rich lol? One of ems cracked. I haven't tagged this car since I bought it about 4 years ago, just been working on it. These plugs and the O2's were replaced in 2007 I see from a sales receipt. Going to get TR6's now.
Attached Thumbnails Am I running too rich to even drive it to the dyno??-plugs-002.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Could these plugs be causing it to run rich lol? One of ems cracked. I haven't tagged this car since I bought it about 4 years ago, just been working on it. These plugs and the O2's were replaced in 2007 I see from a sales receipt. Going to get TR6's now.
I would say that there is a 99.9% chance that that is your problem.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

They look fine... a quick dusting and they're good to go.....
Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Do you have an adjustable fuel regulator?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DUDCOUPE
Do you have an adjustable fuel regulator?
I don't have an adjustable FPR. Not sure how much that would help because Ive heard to stay away from them. Just put in TR6's. Seems to run a little smoother, but still smells of raw fuel. I am not very knowledgeable about tuning and tunes in general, but Im going to bolt the bullets and tailpipes back up because that's what it was dyno tuned with. Not sure if it will make any difference. I also want to pull the fuel rail and see if theres a leaky one. Please guys help me out with this. I don't want to damage this engine because I really couldn't afford to rebuild it. I plan on getting a laptop and datalogging soon.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Okay I put the tailpipes and bullets on, no different, Unplugged the O2's, it ran the same. I think I need to replace the O2's, clean the MAF, and check for leaky injectors. I guess bad O2's don't even trigger an SES light.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 PM

If you remove a spark plug wire from the plug and hold the boot next to the plug while its running, what color is the spark?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

If you remove a spark plug wire from the plug and hold the boot next to the plug while its running, what color is the spark?
Ill try it, and I guess wear gloves. I hate getting shocked. What will this tell you/me?

Also, this car has true duals. Its really hard to see if the smoke has any color but if Id have to say, it looked kind of bluish but really hard to tell. But if it is burning any oil it sure is even on both banks. The 383 has about 20-30,000 miles I believe. Not sure how long they are supposed to last when built to this extent.

Thanks so much for the help guys. I really wish I could do a datalog run.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Some more info, the car never gets above 180/190 even just sitting in the garage. The fans do kick on so I guess they were tuned to do so. I probably need to change my fuel filter as well.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM

What's your fuel pressure?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

What's your fuel pressure?
I don't have a gauge to test it. I just pulled 2 plugs. One looked really clean, the other had a skim coat of oil on the top.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt read everything. Are you getting an SES light? When you pulled the plugs did it smell of raw fuel?

When you get your tuning program make sure you get a something to scan it with such Datamaster. This will let you know what the car is doing.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
I didnt read everything. Are you getting an SES light? When you pulled the plugs did it smell of raw fuel?

When you get your tuning program make sure you get a something to scan it with such Datamaster. This will let you know what the car is doing.
No SES light. Even when I unhooked the O2's no SES light (is that normal). The plugs smelled like fuel a little bit, and I think oil a little. They had been in since 2007 from the previous owner. Also, something to think about. It has true duals and the smoke is very even on both sides. This leads me to believe its rich because if it was burning oil there's a very slim chance it would be puffing evenly out of both pipes. Or am I totally wrong??

Last edited by moderate Z28; 05-15-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

If I get tuning software and I learn how to use it, will I be able to change the AF ratio pretty easily to fix a rich condition? Also wondering if tuning myself is as good as a dyno tune?

Quick Reply: Am I running too rich to even drive it to the dyno??