LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone running the CC 468 cam?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running the CC 468 cam?

Got a lead on one real cheap. Looks to be a good one for a stroker build. just curious what the general opinion for this one is? I was originally thinking about the 306 till I saw this one.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

really cheap= yes
retail= no
my 2 cents

its a lot more cam than the cc306
Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.compcams.com/(S(34mgihve2...csid=1112&sb=0

Search XFI 292 which is is more commonly referred to as here.

The Comp rpm ranges are lower than reality, one member here documented that with Lingenfelter ported LT1 heads this can had not even peaked yet when the pcm shut down past 7000rpm. Fairly common to have valve control issues with the recommended springs too as the higher rpm cause the comp recommended springs to be pushed too far.

Now with untouched stock heads you might get away with it because they will choke airflow wise, but in that case why run a ridiculously duration like that. Many of the fast 383 cars run less duration.

The 306 is an ignorant choice and this one is worse.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
http://www.compcams.com/(S(34mgihve2...csid=1112&sb=0

Search XFI 292 which is is more commonly referred to as here.

The Comp rpm ranges are lower than reality, one member here documented that with Lingenfelter ported LT1 heads this can had not even peaked yet when the pcm shut down past 7000rpm. Fairly common to have valve control issues with the recommended springs too as the higher rpm cause the comp recommended springs to be pushed too far.

Now with untouched stock heads you might get away with it because they will choke airflow wise, but in that case why run a ridiculously duration like that. Many of the fast 383 cars run less duration.

The 306 is an ignorant choice and this one is worse.

Not sure why you're saying it's an ignorant choice; is that with using stock heads? Why the hell would anyone use stock heads for anything other than a stock rebuild? I'll admit I don't know much about the ECMs and their limitations, are they not able to go above 7 grand? As for the springs, of course the springs they recommend are going to match the specs they put on the cam. I'm surprised he wasn't at valve float as they usually don't give you much more ceiling above their spec.

I suppose I'm just going to be ignorant and buy this anyway and keep the extra $$ in my pocket.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Since Comps rpm ranges are wrong that often leads to their spring recommendations being wrong.

Comp rates that to 6200 but even in a stroker it needs more rpm than that with this much duration.

Hell at lot of the fast stroker cars are running low to mid 230s for intake duration and turning to the pcm limits.

Buying the wrong parts for cheap isn't "saving money" it is pissing it away.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Teching In

I love it, "pissing it away"! Get your everyone...

I'm not looking to build the fastest stroker. Evidently I'll be building it around this cam. I don't need to cage another car; I already have two cars made for racing. I just want something non-stock that'll push the limits for the ETs without the bars. As for the rpms of the engine, why do you think it's so far off? Just based on one experience? Judging by other cams and other manufacturers, I think they're on the money. My old Gen I 355 Solid roller has 250/260 @.050 and it says it's good to 7400 rpm. Your opinion has been noted, moving on...
Old 05-17-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that cam will make some serous steam with boost. i am helping buddy with a 377" n2o setup and that cam. it will be a few months before we have some data on the n2o setup. i will tell you it will need a good combination to make it work to its potential. you would need to shift it close to the rpm limit of the stock ecm. if you run a aftermarket ecm like i do then i wouldn't worry about it. lol this would not make a good daily driver cam. ours liked to idle around 900/950 range at 8" to 9" vac.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIGCAT7274
that cam will make some serous steam with boost. i am helping buddy with a 377" n2o setup and that cam. it will be a few months before we have some data on the n2o setup. i will tell you it will need a good combination to make it work to its potential. you would need to shift it close to the rpm limit of the stock ecm. if you run a aftermarket ecm like i do then i wouldn't worry about it. lol this would not make a good daily driver cam. ours liked to idle around 900/950 range at 8" to 9" vac.
I would keep the juice on it, but I don't think it would be a good idea on the track as they stick to the rules hard here. I'm thinking about building a megasquirt ECM. I like their stuff well enough and have some good support.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone running the CC 468 cam?