LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Camaro Z28 & OBD1 with 383 Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014 | 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default 94 Camaro Z28 & OBD1 with 383 Stroker

My son has a 95 Camaro z28. He pulled the motor and then decided to make it a 383 stroker. Now hes ready to put it back in the car and he cant find anyone who knows how to tune the engine using the obd1 computer. He lives in the Phoenix area and hes been around and asked and hasn't found anyone to help.

I'm thinking he can just tune the engine himself with a tuner software?
Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by GetIn&Go; 05-27-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2014 | 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GetIn&Go
My son has a 94 Camaro z28. He pulled the motor and then decided to make it a 383 stroker. Now hes ready to put it back in the car and he cant find anyone who knows how to tune the engine using the obd1 computer. He lives in the Phoenix area and hes been around and asked and hasn't found anyone to help.

I'm thinking he can just tune the engine himself with a tuner software?
Any ideas?

Thanks
PCM4Less mail order tune to get it going. Or MadZ28 mail order tune. Nothing really available in Phoenix that I know of. There's a guy in Tucson that can dyno tune an LT1 if your son brings the tuning software. I'm also going to check out a place in northern Tucson that is supposed to be able to dyno tune anything, I want to confirm if he can do LT1's. I'll let you know.

If he does go the tune-it-himself route he needs winflash from TunerCats, an ALDL cable (if it's a 1995 then he needs the 16pin version, if it's 1993-1994 he needs the 12pin cable, if it's a 1993 he also needs the stuff to burn chips) and he can use either TunerCats to tune or Tuner Pro RT(I prefer Tuner Pro RT, it's free and actually easier to work with and tune with). He'll also need a Wideband O2 sensor too for PE tuning.

I've tuned most of my own stuff, had a dyno tune done here in Tucson by ES Tuned, but had to adjust the tune afterwords if that says anything (this is the guy that will need the tuning software provided); the MAF and VE tables were pretty far off.
Old 05-27-2014 | 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome, please let me know what you find out!
Old 05-28-2014 | 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

I talked to PSI here in Tucson today. Again this is a place (like ES Tuned) that seems to focus mainly on Imports/foreign cars. But, their main tuner guy wasn't in today. He's supposed to call me tomorrow. I'll find out if he knows how to tune LT1's. But I did find out it's $150/hr to rent the dyno to tune it my self. Hopefully I'll hear back and let you know tomorrow!

Last edited by hrcslam; 05-28-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2014 | 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hrcslam
I've tuned most of my own stuff, had a dyno tune done here in Tucson by ES Tuned, but had to adjust the tune afterwords if that says anything (this is the guy that will need the tuning software provided); the MAF and VE tables were pretty far off.

Adjusting the MAF AND VE? Right there tells me I wouldn't take it to that guy...
Old 05-28-2014 | 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Adjusting the MAF AND VE? Right there tells me I wouldn't take it to that guy...
I agree with you Moe. However, this isnt the first time ive heard of this method. Some tuners like turning the maf off and tune VE first and then turn the maf back on tune via the maf.
Old 05-28-2014 | 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

i am finishing up 383 swap in my 94 and went with a PCM for less mail order tune just to get it started and running. i will probably stick with that for a little while so i can put some miles on it and working out any kinks. eventually i will either get it dyno tuned or tune it myself, havent decided.
Old 05-28-2014 | 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
I agree with you Moe. However, this isnt the first time ive heard of this method. Some tuners like turning the maf off and tune VE first and then turn the maf back on tune via the maf.
I'm a newb on tuning, please elaborate. Why wouldn't you adjust both?

After he did his tune, I had to use the afgs and MAP kPA to adjust the VE tables (much much different than what the tuner had), then I used the BLMs to adjust the MAF. Is this way wrong? Because my car drives significantly better after I made those adjustments. And I couldn't get my BLM's to steady until I adjusted the MAF. And I couldn't get the car to stop lugging under 2000rpms until I adjusted the VE tables.

Quick Reply: 94 Camaro Z28 & OBD1 with 383 Stroker