LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 lt1 no start with fuel and spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 lt1 no start with fuel and spark

I have a 96 lt1. It has set for like 4 years. I tuned it up (flushed all the old gas and gave it an oil change and fuel filter) and it will not start. I checked the fuel rail and was pretty weak so I put a new 255 fuel pump on. Now is shoots out pretty good when I push the Schrader valve in. I haven't put a fuel pressure gauge on I don't want to buy one. I pulled a spark plug and check for spark, it seemed like a pretty good spark. I'm thinking I might pull the fuel rails off and test each injector. I smell gas when I'm cranking on it. The spark plug I pulled was a bit black. If all injectors spray well I guess I'll get a new coil. What should I do? I have read hours on people having this problem. But it always seems to be the opti spark. I'm very hesitant to go there yet. This car was perfect when parked

This car has no modifications and has 150,000 miles thanks for reading and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LT1 T/A sat for almost 8 years before I got the new motor in. Over time the seals dry up or stiffen to the point where they cause binding in anything that moves. Case and point. I had perfect fuel pressure on cranking with a brand new optispark and the car would barely cough. Changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator, fired right up.

Pull your dipstick. Smell like gasoline? If so, see previous paragraph.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Teching In

No gas smell in the oil I thought of that. Fuel regulator is not a bad idea I'll pull the vacuum line see if there is gas in it. Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Teching In

If you can get a scanner, get it scanned before you spend more money. My 93 had a similar problem due to a bad temp sensor.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I scanned it yesterday... Had no codes. I took the icm in to test it..... It was good. I decided it had to be opti spark related. I changed it out put it back together and it fired up instantly.

I hope somebody will read this and it will help them out. What I learned was the opti spark has a optical sensor that reads a rotation disk that tells the injectors to spray. And I learned that the cap and rotor was worn pretty good at 150,000 miles. The spark was decent when the old opti spark was on. The auto parts store replacement of the whole unit with new cap and rotor too was 125.00. Thanks everyone for your help.

Quick Reply: 96 lt1 no start with fuel and spark