LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

running rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running rich

So my 93 trans am has been running horribly sometimes it doesnt want to idle and the warmer it gets the worse it runs it sprung an oil leak at the timing chain cover so I change the timing chain cover gasket and while im there I go ahead and get the oil pan gasket my accell optispark had a hole in the cover so im like $h!t that could explain it missing and running rich everything looks to be good on the distributor so I melt plastic to it and slap it all back together I get it running pull it out of the shop and take it around the block making sure everything sounds good temp stays good all that so everything checks out and I get in it alil bit throttle response is good sucks me back into the seat im like hell yeah thats the best its run since I bought it so I get it out on the main road to do some hot roddin and it goes right back to how it was when I started which includes poor throttle response missing running rich all that so please if you have any advice at all please share
Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93transambadboy
So my 93 Trans Am has been running horribly. Sometimes it doesn't want to idle, and the warmer it gets, the worse it runs. It sprung an oil leak at the timing chain cover, so I changed the timing chain cover gasket, and while i'm there, I go ahead and get the oil pan gasket. My accell optispark had a hole in the cover so im like $h!t that could explain it missing and running rich. Everything looks to be good on the distributor, so I melt plastic to it and slap it all back together.

I get it running, pull it out of the shop and take it around the block making sure everything sounds good, temp stays good, and all that. So everything checks out and I get in it a lil bit, throttle response is good, sucks me back into the seat and i'm like hell yeah that's the best it's run since I bought it. So I get it out on the main road to do some hot roddin' and it goes right back to how it was when I started, which includes poor throttle response, missing, running rich, and all that. So please if you have any advice at all, please share.

Sorry I had to be a grammar ****...that was tough to read...
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm concerned about the hole in the opti cap...did you take it off and inspect it? It could be as simple as a bad cap causing the issues. Accel Optis are junk anyway. My uncle was chasing down a similar issue on his fresh built LT1 and it turned out to be a junk out of the box Accel Opti. A Delco Opti fixed the issue right away. His issue was weak spark distribution to cyclinder 1. It was just a bad Opti.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Yeah I use my phone not computer so I just keep it simple man but I heard accell wasnt bad but idk this lt1 **** is new to me
Old 06-09-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93transambadboy
Yeah I use my phone not computer so I just keep it simple man but I heard accell wasnt bad but idk this lt1 **** is new to me
Accel are pretty well known for junk optis. The only Opti you should ever buy is a Delco. They have proven to be the most reliable.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Accel are pretty well known for junk optis. The only Opti you should ever buy is a Delco. They have proven to be the most reliable.
Well man I appreciate you advice and I think im going to take it man cuz im ready for this car to run right for the first time since I bought it

Quick Reply: running rich