LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My Discount opti experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Discount opti experience

Recently got "error 36 code, high resolution failure"
So purchased a new Delphi Opti , and had it installed.
The old $150 Chandler opti, with 4000 miles, failed, and upon inspection, just tells me "You get what you pay for".
Chandler opti I locke-tite the rotor screws, and RTVed the outer case.
Pics show no, oil leaks, no water leaks, the optical sensor in tact and the optical ring not bent or any damage, rust ,or oil.
The Cap shows minimal wear , but the rotor shows contact wear only on one side.
Looking closely the rotor where it contacts the outer cap, is bent!
Others may have been luckier with chandlers, but my new Delphi powered bitch car runs better than ever.
Good luck out there!!!
Attached Thumbnails My Discount opti experience-img_1234.jpg   My Discount opti experience-img_1236.jpg   My Discount opti experience-img_1239.jpg   My Discount opti experience-img_1241.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Before installing the chandler, did you spin it to see if it made any scraping noises? I once ordered an opti from Autozone a few years ago, don't know what brand it was, but spun the rotor and it scraped the entire revolution. I told them no thanks.
What ever happened to The Parts Ladi? Didn't she have a good rep at some point in time?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thepartsladi was a good source until they started selling optis they didn't have or re-selling returned units. Ebay dumped them shortly after that. I'm running a Delphi opti from thepartsladi before they went bust with no problems.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Before installing the chandler, did you spin it to see if it made any scraping noises? I once ordered an opti from Autozone a few years ago, don't know what brand it was, but spun the rotor and it scraped the entire revolution. I told them no thanks.
I replaced cap and rotor with an msd and kept the stock opti. My rotor hit the back side of the opti when I was reinstalling. two thin washers spaced it enough to clear. 10k later still no issues, not sure if this would have been the issue with the one you got had you opened it up.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woohoo I put on a 100 dollar opti from ebay and a reman water pump. I like to gamble. So far I am up.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Teching In

My chandler failed about 20k miles after install, but they were fast with their return/replacement and now my cars back up and running. Hopefully the new one isn't a dud, but lifetime warranty is hard to beat.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW I bought a Delphi from thepartslady YEARS ago. IIRC it was like $1xx. It came in a Delphi box. I have opened it, loc-tite the rotor screws and have used it on a few builds. No problems.

It does have a Mitsubishi optical sensor

yeah the offshore clones sold by most auto part store chains do come with a "lifetime" warranty...but given the PIA job to install a Opti, IMHO get a Delphi or if you can find a "new" AC Delco

If you have a old AC Delco that works, get a MSD cap/rotor kit. Confirm the bearing is still in good shape
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Summit opti fail on me after about 10,000mi. I replaced it with a cheap Chandler opti and put a heavy duty cap and rotor on it.. I put Loctite on the rotor screws and RTV the cap and everything is fine so far..
Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Launching!

thats better than my chandler experience. the center section was clocked wrong when they pressed it together. I didnt notice, put it on and the car wouldnt even try to fire. Spent the day checking fp, ip, spark, and compression. finally pulled opti. it was in correctly, but when i checked rotor position compared to my old accel it was way off. the pic is chandler on left, accel on right, both with dowel pin slot on the back pointed at #6
Attached Thumbnails My Discount opti experience-imag0300.jpg  

Quick Reply: My Discount opti experience