LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown headgasket?

So I've been in the process of changing out my clutch in my lt1. While having the transmission out I decided to finally figure out this coolant leak I've been chasing. Well I did a pressure test and noticed bubbling on the rear of my passenger head. So I'm assuming i have a bad head gasket although the car really doesn't smoke or drive bad. Anyway, I ordered some felpro 1074's and intake gaskets. Is there anything else I'm missing that I need before tackling the job?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Providing the bubbling/leak wasn't coming from the crossover tube (steam tube) banjo bolt, and actually from the head to block mating surface I'd second the gasket assumption. With it bubbling to the outside would precisely explain why it wasn't affecting the drivability. An outward leak from coolant passage to outside of block would not affect anything at all except coolant level. No increase in pressure, no white smoke, no miss. Those would all indicate an inward leak from passage to cyl or cyl to passage. A passage to oil galley or galley to passage leak would show as milky coolant or oil, or both. And yes, leaks often flow one way and not the other.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kris72079
Providing the bubbling/leak wasn't coming from the crossover tube (steam tube) banjo bolt, and actually from the head to block mating surface I'd second the gasket assumption. With it bubbling to the outside would precisely explain why it wasn't affecting the drivability. An outward leak from coolant passage to outside of block would not affect anything at all except coolant level. No increase in pressure, no white smoke, no miss. Those would all indicate an inward leak from passage to cyl or cyl to passage. A passage to oil galley or galley to passage leak would show as milky coolant or oil, or both. And yes, leaks often flow one way and not the other.
Good to know, I had originally thought it was leaking from that banjo bolt but after doing the pressure test and seeing it at the head I knew. That would also explain the drive ability like you said. Luckily i don't have any in the oil or anything like that, just have to keep filling the coolant up. Is it required to change head bolts once they are taken off?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallj
. Is it required to change head bolts once they are taken off?
If they are stock bolts, yes, because they are TTY bolts and should not be reused, go ARP..
Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
If they are stock bolts, yes, because they are TTY bolts and should not be reused, go ARP..
^exactly. Torque to yeild is designed to only happen once.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to have the heads gone through by a local engine shop. I also say go ARP.

Quick Reply: Blown headgasket?