LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 AFR 227 Heads and an F1a @11.5-12psi

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 05:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im speaking from experience too. My new setup is a little more radical, but I tried speeding up my F-1C, and it didnt really pick up any boost on the top end. I'm only spinning my blower to 66k and its making 20 psi.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the same thing, so I removed the air filter and it didn't pick up one lbs of boost not even a tenth of boost, per the FAST data logger. The AF and power stayed the same as well with the filter off.

I spoke to HOB and ProCharger and they both suggested spinning the blower harder, so that is what I'm goign to try. If this doesn't work I"m really going to be scratching my head as the next place to change things out would be the intercooler and Spearco swears I'm no where near the max capacity. What intercooler are you running

Thanks
Steve
Old 09-14-2014, 09:28 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramair96ws6
I thought the same thing, so I removed the air filter and it didn't pick up one lbs of boost not even a tenth of boost, per the FAST data logger. The AF and power stayed the same as well with the filter off.

I spoke to HOB and ProCharger and they both suggested spinning the blower harder, so that is what I'm goign to try. If this doesn't work I"m really going to be scratching my head as the next place to change things out would be the intercooler and Spearco swears I'm no where near the max capacity. What intercooler are you running

Thanks
Steve
What filter do you have on the car? I know with my old setup I took off the air inlet and it picked up 3 or 4 psi and 100 hp with no other changes. Who at HOB did you talk to? Did they realize how hard you were turning the blower already? Reason I ask is it sounds like he didn't know that. I'm good friends with those guys and Erik is actually the one that tunes my car. The bracket that you have was originally designed for my car and they ended up making multiples to sell.

I'm running the ProCharger 1800 A/W intercooler. For the boost level you're making good power, but then if you consider you are on C16 and you have that much timing in it, something is just not adding up. It really seems like since you are spinning the blower so hard it's not making the boost and eating up a lot of drive power. In my opinion if you were to keep your 80 tooth lower and put something like a 48 or 50 up on the blower, it might pick up boost and power. Just my opinion though. If you call Erik at HOB, let him know you talked with me and what I mentioned.

BTW, I LOVE your build, extremely clean and well done! Props!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Thank you I tried to build the nicest LT1 car that I could to try to compete against all the LSx and 03/04 cobras here in Las Vegas. I wanted the car to bruise a few egos but it won’t do **** with 700 hp...

Ill have to look through my email at work to see who I spoke to at HOB. I told them both, ProCharger and HOB the whole situation and they both recommended to spin the blower harder. They said that car is breathing very well. They recommend to run a smaller pulley and to add a few more degrees of timing as well. These numbers are through an auto but I did lock the convertor. I don't know they numbers seem soft to me and this car has always produced good numbers. I was hoping for closer to 800 before I pulled the filter. Where do you think the car should be power

The filter is a (PN#AF059I-001)
Old 09-15-2014, 05:47 AM
8 Second Club

For that boost level, the power is ok. But, since you're spinning the blower that hard, it should be making more boost and power. Are you 100% sure you don't have a boost leak somewhere? Surge valve blowing open or anything?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:11 AM

Beautiful car, looks like an awesome build!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
For that boost level, the power is ok. But, since you're spinning the blower that hard, it should be making more boost and power. Are you 100% sure you don't have a boost leak somewhere? Surge valve blowing open or anything?
Items to check that are pretty easy.

1) Check the boost "pre" intercooler. Its as simple as poking a hole in a rubber coupler, and sticking a vacuum nipple in, and connection to your boost gauge port. (that will tell you if you are out of intercooler)

2) Depending on what bypass valve you have, just take it off and plug the hole, and do a mild pull on it. (doesn't have to be to redline) and see if your boost curve still matches.

But yes, the F-1A, will be out of breath right near the redline. So no reason to overspin it, since it won't pick up much.

As far as the removing the filter and not picking up anything, did you remove whatever tubing is connected to it as well? Could it be a tubing restriction? I didn't see what was on the actual blower, just the shot of the filter.

Basically with that trans, a good tune on race fuel/e85/pump gas with Meth, you should be in the 900+ rwhp. (more if it was a stick) If the car can't make it to that mark, then something needs to be looked at such as camshaft issue or something.

BTW: Amazing amazing looking car, and build!

Last edited by ProChargerTECH; 09-15-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ProChargerTECH

1) Check the boost "pre" intercooler. Its as simple as poking a hole in a rubber coupler, and sticking a vacuum nipple in, and connection to your boost gauge port. (that will tell you if you are out of intercooler)

2) Depending on what bypass valve you have, just take it off and plug the hole, and do a mild pull on it. (doesn't have to be to redline) and see if your boost curve still matches.

But yes, the F-1C, will be out of breath right near the redline. So no reason to overspin it, since it won't pick up anything.

As far as the removing the filter and not picking up anything, did you remove whatever tubing is connected to it as well? Could it be a tubing restriction? I didn't see what was on the actual blower, just the shot of the filter.

Basically with that trans, a good tune on race fuel/e85/pump gas with Meth, you should be in the 900+ rwhp. (more if it was a stick) If the car can't make it to that mark, then something needs to be looked at such as camshaft issue or something.

Thank you!!

The car is an F1A, not an F1C car. When I removed the filter there was nothing on the inlet of the blower just the blower it self so there should have been Zero restriction.

I will test this out this weekend and see what it does. I have the Big Red ProCharger Race bypass valve and the cam specs are below.

The cam was degreed by the shop that assembled the bottom end. They are reputable shop so hopefully it was done correctly. I cant seem to find the build sheet

Bullet racing cam 242/248 112 lsa 626/608 <<- Bullet Racing said this was the best cam to use for the complete combo I gave them every spec they asked for.

Thanks for the help!!
Steve
Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Nice build! Love the attention to detail!!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Thank you. Now the journey to find the missing ponies! lol
Old 09-16-2014, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

But yes, the F-1A, will be out of breath right near the redline. So no reason to overspin it, since it won't pick up much.

Who was this from ProCharger? I have a few questions Id like to call in and ask.

Thanks
Steve
Old 09-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Sorry about the mistake on the "A" vs "C"

However, looking at your graph again its odd that it doesn't really pick up much power from 5,500 to 6,100rpm (25hp give or take) yet from 4,900-5,500 you gain looks like just shy of 100hp. Seems odd that its falling off in the HP that fast.

Let us know your results of intercooler testing, and what the new pulley gets ya.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to get that license plate as well. lol! awesome car man
Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Sorry about the mistake on the "A" vs "C"

However, looking at your graph again its odd that it doesn't really pick up much power from 5,500 to 6,100rpm (25hp give or take) yet from 4,900-5,500 you gain looks like just shy of 100hp. Seems odd that its falling off in the HP that fast.

Let us know your results of intercooler testing, and what the new pulley gets ya.

Thanks!

What do you think could be the reason of the car falling off up top? I want to take the car to 6500 because that is where it was built to Rev to.

When I went back to look at the log the boost was starting to fall from 12 down to 11 and looked like it was going to continue to fall if I took the car up higher in RPM

Here is the plan:
Blow off valve first, Intercooler testing second, and then I will see where I am. If it is anything more than something obvious it will just have to wait and be dealt with later. I have been patiently and un-patiently waiting for 3years to run this car again

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by ramair96ws6; 09-17-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I want to get that license plate as well. lol! awesome car man
Thank you!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ramair96ws6

When I went back to look at the log the boost was starting to fall from 12 down to 11 and looked like it was going to continue to fall if I took the car up higher in RPM

Thanks
Steve
Yikes, well that explains why HP stops climbing.

Even when the blower is maxed out, boost doesn't go backwards. If anything it will just stay steady. I feel strong you will find either an issue with the following.

1) To much restriction on the inlet (try running it open blower, no tube, nothing)
2) Intercooler blockage, hits a flow brick wall, and won't flow anymore
3) To much Delta pressure, can't keep Bypass valve closed
4) Last, and I hope not... something blowing valves open, boost going out the tail pipe.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by prochargertech
yikes, well that explains why hp stops climbing.

Even when the blower is maxed out, boost doesn't go backwards. If anything it will just stay steady. I feel strong you will find either an issue with the following.

1) to much restriction on the inlet (try running it open blower, no tube, nothing)
i removed the filter and ran it open blower no change

2) intercooler blockage, hits a flow brick wall, and won't flow anymore.

this would suck, i hope it isn't this as it would be a pain to redesign the tubing and setup

3) to much delta pressure, can't keep bypass valve closed
i hope this is the issue as its the easiest to fix!

4) last, and i hope not... Something blowing valves open, boost going out the tail pipe.
the car was very smooth and the valve train was designed to handle the setup by afr along with jessel and bullet racing cams, so i hope they know what they are doing lol
Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Awesome build. Curious to see if it's #3. I'm going through something similar with the same valve.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Awesome build. Curious to see if it's #3. I'm going through something similar with the same valve.
What happens if the customer has an intercooler blockage, and the bypass valve before the intercooler is this....

Say you have 10 psi in your manifold. (This 10psi to hold the valve shut)
But you have an intercooler blockage of say 5psi

That means you have 15psi in the tubing from blower to intercooler
(Where the valve is)

So thus the 10psi of pressure in your manifold, can't hold back the 15psi on the valve. (And it cracks open)

These are totally example numbers. But the idea is there, you want to least amount of delta pressure as possible.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What happens if the customer has an intercooler blockage, and the bypass valve before the intercooler is this....

Say you have 10 psi in your manifold. (This 10psi to hold the valve shut)
But you have an intercooler blockage of say 5psi

That means you have 15psi in the tubing from blower to intercooler
(Where the valve is)

So thus the 10psi of pressure in your manifold, can't hold back the 15psi on the valve. (And it cracks open)

These are totally example numbers. But the idea is there, you want to least amount of delta pressure as possible.
Awesome explanation.

Thanks for dropping in here to help a member out

Quick Reply: 383 AFR 227 Heads and an F1a @11.5-12psi