LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LE2 package vs competitors

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It's an opinion based on observations made by those who've used said product and have expressed their displeasure on these forums, other forums and personally dating back at least 10 years ago. Take it FWIW. That is my suggestion. You don't have to like it.
It's sad some of you guys feel the need to bash this guy but hey if it helps you sleep at night then continue spewing your hate.

Out of curiosity have you ever dealt with Lloyd or even spoken with him?

Last edited by za355tx; 09-09-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by za355tx
It's sad some of you guys feel the need to bash this guy but hey if it helps you sleep at night then continue spewing your hate.

He's entitled his opinion, whether it be first hand or not. His is one of few though.

Those of us who have experienced issues with Lloyds work have been well taken care of by Lloyd too. And he's only a quick e-mail or phone call away, great customer service. Most of us never experience problems with Lloyds work.

Thousands of positive unsolicited reviews and recommendations from enthusiasts across the nation vs a few bad ones followed with a recommendation to a competitors product? I don't think Lloyd needs to sweat this.

So long as he does what he's been doing and doing right by his work, he'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by hrcslam
He's entitled his opinion, whether it be first hand or not. His is one of few though.

Those of us who have experienced issues with Lloyds work have been well taken care of by Lloyd too. And he's only a quick e-mail or phone call away, great customer service. Most of us never experience problems with Lloyds work.

Thousands of positive unsolicited reviews and recommendations from enthusiasts across the nation vs a few bad ones followed with a recommendation to a competitors product? I don't think Lloyd needs to sweat this.

So long as he does what he's been doing and doing right by his work, he'll have nothing to worry about.
An opinion is one thing, purposely trying to turn people away from Lloyd every chance you get, completely different.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

An opinion is one thing, purposely trying to turn people away from Lloyd every chance you get, completely different.
And you're entitled your opinion too.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If the two friends I know who used LE heads where one had QC issues and the other had performance problems, along with the many other QC issues that have been noted on these threads moreso than other venders mentioned is "spewing hate" then I sleep just fine. Again, it's an opinion based on anomalies spawned over the years.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't consider the examples posted as isolated incidents. I knew several people with similar experiences with the lack of quality control from over 5 years ago when I was considering my own H/C setup.
I simply was not willing to play the odds of having to disassemble the engine and send parts back for about a $250 potential cost savings. I work in the aerospace industry; I recognize and appreciate every effort to remove variations from a process.
That said, going back to the original post, I would still go with a ported stock casting LE setup over any of the out-of-the-box setups from TFS, Edelbrock, and those likes. The slight risk is justified by the huge performance per dollar difference.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If the two friends I know who used LE heads where one had QC issues and the other had performance problems, along with the many other QC issues that have been noted on these threads moreso than other venders mentioned is "spewing hate" then I sleep just fine. Again, it's an opinion based on anomalies spawned over the years.
Ah...vendetta guy....gotcha. If you sleep fine acting the way you do...then you need a wake up call bc that's pathetic. Life has a way of handling jerks.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

And you're entitled your opinion too.
You betcha...but here's the difference. Some things are opinions, while other things have clear right and wrong. Telling someone you did not have a positive dealing with someone is fine, even going as far as to say you wouldn't personally go with someone, that's fine too. The issue here is guys who get into the LE threads just to bash them...that's not opinion that's hatred and just wrong.

And to whoever said you don't hear about other companies? Are you kidding? Not to mention if I was all over another company talking about how great they are, then had a $2000 set of heads take a dump on me I'd probably be too embarrassed to share. Ever think maybe that's why you don't here about those deals?
Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Wow. I see you're from DFW. That explains the dramatically emotional responses. Did you know Shawn Salazar by chance?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of LE2 heads on my car. I wouldn't deal with him again.

Great guy to deal with as a person and as far as questions go.

However my heads were sent with worn valve guides, to the point they would rock back and forth. The valve seats weren't not machined properly, very very thin in a lot of areas. I'm surprised they sealed up.

I ended up having the heads repaired locally for another $600-$800. Can't remember as it was 2-3years ago. New guides, re machined seats, new seals. Had them flow tested as well. Peak numbers were what is stated on his site, but overall nothing outstanding. Car only made 350rwhp with supporting mods after dyno tune.

I called and complained about them, I was only offered a discount on parts and nothing else.

**** poor customer service as far as I'm concerned. So I'll never deal with him again
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You were mad at your dyno numbers?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
You were mad at your dyno numbers?
Not necessarily mad at them. THe car runs well after everything was repaired. Just was anticipating more cause it seems everyone and their mom makes 400rwhp with similar mods

Last edited by 97lt1camaro; 09-10-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro
I have a set of LE2 heads on my car. I wouldn't deal with him again.

Great guy to deal with as a person and as far as questions go.

However my heads were sent with worn valve guides, to the point they would rock back and forth. The valve seats weren't not machined properly, very very thin in a lot of areas. I'm surprised they sealed up.

I ended up having the heads repaired locally for another $600-$800. Can't remember as it was 2-3years ago. New guides, re machined seats, new seals. Had them flow tested as well. Peak numbers were what is stated on his site, but overall nothing outstanding. Car only made 350rwhp with supporting mods after dyno tune.

I called and complained about them, I was only offered a discount on parts and nothing else.

**** poor customer service as far as I'm concerned. So I'll never deal with him again
At least you didn't get a set of heads with 15 cracked guides from broaching them to size after they were ported And I could see light between the seat and valve after 3-4 k miles. I had to spend around the same amount of $$ to make mine salvageable to sell. Learned my lesson to do things right the 1st time after that, and not to go with internet hype.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Seems more common than I thought.....

Mine are doing good.

Speed_Demon24, were they LE2's?
Old 09-10-2014, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

My touched up out of the box TFS heads are working well and I have lots of room to grow if I want to get them ported.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a set of le2s and they worked fine when I ran them on my stock bottom end. I went with him again with my 355 and had him port some tfs 21degree heads. No numbers or track times yet but it is running great and feels much faster than my old engine. Not that I dont believe anyone that had some problems but thats been my experience for what its worth anyway.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems more common than I thought.....

Mine are doing good.

Speed_Demon24, were they LE2's?
Yes his were, he documented it well on forum.

hvyss had the same problem as well, same story spent $600 or so just to patch up enough to sell.

Quick Reply: LE2 package vs competitors