LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

'95 A4 Main Harness-to-'95 M6 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 A4 Main Harness-to-'95 M6 F-Body

I am swapping a '95 Camaro LT1/4L60E wiring harness into a '95 T/A that originally came with a T56. I will be using an aftermarket TCI billet shifter. I am trying to do this without needing a tune. The '95 Camaro PCM that goes with the auto harness already has VATS bypassed so I am good there but I am wondering what to do about the neutral safety switch since my car never had a automatic to begin with. How can I go about making this PCM work in my car? I need to do whatever gets the car on the road as easiest/fastest as possible.

There is an "Employee Drag Race" put on by my job and I've gotta get my car ready pronto. I missed it last year but won it the year before and need my trophy back :-) Won it with my G/F's bone stock auto '13 5.0. And this LT1 car is much faster so hopefully I have a chance at winning again. Last year a high 13 second EVO won, so I have lots of faith. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
-Brad

Last edited by High-Ho-Silver; 09-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by High-Ho-Silver
I am swapping a '95 Camaro LT1/4L60E wiring harness into a '95 T/A that originally came with a T56. I will be using an aftermarket TCI billet shifter. I am trying to do this without needing a tune. The '95 Camaro PCM that goes with the auto harness already has VATS bypassed so I am good there but I am wondering what to do about the neutral safety switch since my car never had a automatic to begin with. How can I go about making this PCM work in my car? I need to do whatever gets the car on the road as easiest/fastest as possible as there is an "Employee Drag Race" put on by my job and I've gotta get my car ready pronto. I missed it last year but won it the year before and need my trophy back :-) Won it with my G/F's bone stock auto '13 5.0. And this LT car is much faster so hopefully I have a chance at winning again. Last year a high 13 second EVO won, so I have lots of faith. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
-Brad
Are you putting the 4L60e harness in or the transmission?

You could always relocate the clutch safety switch to the shifter though. Or just bypass it all together. Then the PCM in start up will always think it's in Park or Neutral.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Yes, installing a 4L60E transmission. Thought that might have been assumed.

Ok so what your saying is that I can bypass the clutch safety switch that came in a manual transmission equipped car and connect a main engine/trans wiring harness and pcm from an automatic transmission car and the auto trans car's PCM will recognise this clutch safety switch bypass and the engine will crank?

Again, PCM has VATS bypass and both cars are '95's.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by High-Ho-Silver
Yes, installing a 4L60E transmission. Thought that might have been assumed.

Ok so what your saying is that I can bypass the clutch safety switch that came in a manual transmission equipped car and connect a main engine/trans wiring harness and pcm from an automatic transmission car and the auto trans car's PCM will recognise this clutch safety switch bypass and the engine will crank?

Again, PCM has VATS bypass and both cars are '95's.
IIRC, you'd need to run the harness that came with the Auto. The Manual trans has 3 plugs, 1 for reverse lock out, 1 for skip shift, and 1 for the speedometer. The auto has different plugs, one for the Speedometer, one for the solenoid harness, and one or two for the gear indicator/park neutral safety switch.

If you installed the Auto with it's harness and PCM it should just bolt/clip right in.

If you are using the M6 PCM, you need to reprogram the PCM for the Auto. No way around it.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Teching In

And as far as the statement about my LT1 car being faster than a '13 5.0...

I put a lot of miles on that '13 5.0, and many of them abused, drag raced at local 1/4 mile thursday night "test & tunes" and taken to the "Tail of the Dragon" on 2 seperate trips/vacations but went through it at least 5 times each trip. If anyone is not familar with the "Tail of the Dragon" its 11 miles through mountains on US129 with 300+ elevation changing curves over only 11 miles. Its literally the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on. At least, when the stock 5.0L 245 tires screeching aroung every turn. But, over all the drag races and curves the 5.0 became boring to me. It had decent sized ***** above 4,000 RPM and handled ok but that permenant smile when driving "aggressively" started to fade.

What brought the perma-smile back and hasn't made it leave was a mildly modded $3,500 '95 Z28 with stock heads, mild cam, a rebuilt bottom end with upped compression, 3.73 gears, and most importantly a 3500 stall. Car has a couple other usual/bolt-on/suspension mods but other than that its stock and I loved it. Had 315/35/17 Nitto drag radials on it (at first) with decent rear suspension and it would spin them aggressively at any speed until 40'ish mph depending on road conditions/temperature....sometimes more. Car was so much more fun to drive than the Mustang it was like night and day. And the best part, it didn't cost $39,000 (obviosuly). Cammed, stalled, LT1 gets sideways like a champion too. I slid that LT car around more corners than I can remember and ate up those 315 drag radials AND some nitto 275 street compound tires within 6 months. It became a ritual, like my morning coffee, that I would slide the car around a couple choice turns on the way to and from work each day. Im not talking little jerky blips of the throttle. I mean, smooth no jerk, sideways-action from low speed until 50ish mph or going 'round a sub 40 mph corner. Without a high rpm stall, I had to work with 5.0 pretty good to get it sideways as easily, smoothly and consistently as that LT. LT got worse milage around town than 5.0 due to the "big" stall (compared to stock 5.0) but on the highway (w/ stall locked) they were close.

Before I pulled the '95 Z apart I never got to see what it ran in the 1/4 but I will say that I ran the 5.0 a bunch and it was so consistent it was boring. The best I achieved all stock was 13.00 on stock 245's / factory 19" wheels. But they were all pretty leisurly passes with music blasting, lol. Car was so consistent I could of eaten a ham sandwich while racing and it would of gone low 13s on doodie stock tires. AKA, fun....if thats what you want, and it is fun, but got boring for me. I wanted more! Bad. Thus came the randomly purchased mildly modded LT car, that again I never got to the track. The track was somewhere I always went with my g/f as something to do and i would have rather put the miles getting there on her car, ha. Plus, 23 y.o. college girls don't like to ride in '95 Z28's, lol, at least she didn't much. She liked my '95 T/A and Z28 just fine but would rather ride in or drive her grabber blue GT for sure. So I had a friend race me several times in my LT car while I drove the GT and the LT car put several car lengths on the 5.0 everytime. From a stop, from a 20 mph rol, from a 40 roll, and even from 70 roll, heh. And for me, being 29 y.o., I grew up thinking the '93+ Camaro was amazing so I would rather be driving something like that anyways. The new Mustang is too "big", tall and unaerodynamic to me. Although they do look good. The interior feels and looks so cheap though. Give me '93-'96 Camaro, '93-'02 'bird, or '99-'04 Mustang interior any day over what that Mustang had. And the '05 GT my buddy has is worse. They have a neat look for sure, but its a half-assed neat look to me.

Just goes to show that you don't have to spend tons of money to have fun.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Teching In

hrcslam,

Thanks for your help. Sounds pretty simple. Hopefully I can get started this weekend.

Quick Reply: '95 A4 Main Harness-to-'95 M6 F-Body