LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Verifying OEM 96SS Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Verifying OEM 96SS Spoiler

I have been looking into spoiler options for an 96SS (mine was swapped out for a RKSport "Super"wing i.e. The big one).

I was told by one guy that OEMs will have a part number near where they bolt down to the trunk. Was wondering if this is true or if there is anyway to differentiate between an OEM vs Reproduction?

My second issue is I am currently looking at a spoiler that is said to be one of the SLP overstock that were sold for some years after production. If I cant find one of a original car this would be my next best option but I was wondering how I would tell if it was actually an SS vs. just an RKSport production.

My 3rd option being to buy a repo from RK or other company. What are the big concerns with these and once fitted would anyone ever be able to tell/verify that it wasnt a true SS piece?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss

My second issue is I am currently looking at a spoiler that is said to be one of the SLP overstock that were sold for some years after production. If I cant find one of a original car this would be my next best option but I was wondering how I would tell if it was actually an SS vs. just an RKSport production.

My 3rd option being to buy a repo from RK or other company. What are the big concerns with these and once fitted would anyone ever be able to tell/verify that it wasnt a true SS piece?
Bandit,

I have one of the "overstock" LT1 spoilers that I bought directly from SLP when they were clearing out their inventory four or five years ago. NHRA required the use of that spoiler when I designated my Stock Eliminator Camaro as an SS for classification purposes. I installed for trial fit on the car using the original Z28 brake light. It fit nicely without modification. It is still unpainted and in the primer coat that SLP used. I did not notice a part number anywhere on it so I can't speak directly to that point but I do know that they are not easy to find and they are not widely reproduced. If you happen to be located in the vicinity of Los Angeles I would be willing to sell it to you for what I paid for it. Shipping is a problem since, while the original box and the packing material are present, I would not want to risk possible damage at the hands of shipping companies.

c
Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cnorton
Bandit,

I have one of the "overstock" LT1 spoilers that I bought directly from SLP when they were clearing out their inventory four or five years ago. NHRA required the use of that spoiler when I designated my Stock Eliminator Camaro as an SS for classification purposes. I installed for trial fit on the car using the original Z28 brake light. It fit nicely without modification. It is still unpainted and in the primer coat that SLP used. I did not notice a part number anywhere on it so I can't speak directly to that point but I do know that they are not easy to find and they are not widely reproduced. If you happen to be located in the vicinity of Los Angeles I would be willing to sell it to you for what I paid for it. Shipping is a problem since, while the original box and the packing material are present, I would not want to risk possible damage at the hands of shipping companies.

c
I remember buying mine for $100 shipped from SLP. They were charging over 100 for shipping alone before the sale
Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I remember buying mine for $100 shipped from SLP. They were charging over 100 for shipping alone before the sale
Was there anything on the spoiler that showed it was an SLP and not some other Repo spoiler?

Also what color "Primer" did the spoilers come in
Old 09-17-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't remember seeing anything on mine. It was flat black coating.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine does have a number it's engraved at the bottom where the studs go.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jlpz
mine does have a number it's engraved at the bottom where the studs go.
Was yours an SLP "Leftover" would you mind posting a picture if you get a chance.

Also do you know what color primer it arrived in?

I would like to get a general consensus of what color the SLP were primed in.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was yours an SLP "Leftover" would you mind posting a picture if you get a chance.

Also do you know what color primer it arrived in?

I would like to get a general consensus of what color the SLP were primed in.
Mine came off an OEM SS camaro that was black. My car was also black so I didn't have to paint it. Here is a link to an SLP one on summit it appears to be grey primer on the pic.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sle-010778703
Old 09-17-2014, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Was there anything on the spoiler that showed it was an SLP and not some other Repo spoiler?

Mine is in light gray.

I have pictures of it.

c
Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cnorton
Mine is in light gray.

I have pictures of it.

c
cnorton I would be very interested in purchase if you would be willing to ship it which you stated you would not want to but unfortunately I live in Ohio. I in turn would pay the standard shipping rate.

As well to anyone else I would be willing to purchase an OEM of anyone willing to sell as long as the price is reasonable.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

PM sent.

c
Old 09-21-2014, 10:18 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gel coat is a dull grey.

Quick Reply: Verifying OEM 96SS Spoiler