LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AUX trans cooler and fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUX trans cooler and fan

I am looking at getting an auxillary trans cooler and cooling fan for my 96 TA. It seems to have trouble keeping itself cool in stop and go traffic (which I see a lot of with it being a DD). The cooling system is good to go and full of coolant. I'd say 95% of it has been replaced in the year and a half I've had the car and it has no leaks as of now. I was just curious what physical dimensions on the fan and cooler any of you guys might be running. I'm sure if I cut and trim enough I can fit just about anything in there, but I was looking for what would fit with minimal modification. I did a quick forum search from here at work and couldn't find the answers I was looking for, but admittedly it wasn't as thorough of a search as I maybe could have done from home. I am trying to find out so I can hopefully go ahead and buy them before I leave work for the day...gotta love that employee discount Thanks guys

Last edited by mn011890; 09-23-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Most of the installs I've seen don't have fans. Just coolers. Most of them fit in front of the radiator. Here's a few that you can look into:
Long Tru-Cool LPD Transmission Oil Cooler # 4490. 22,000 BTU
12" x 11" x 3/4"

B&M SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler # 70264. 14,400 BTU
11" x 5-3/4" x 1-1/2"

I'm using a small frame rail cooler for mine. Its a Derale#259-13225. I mounted it just under my radiator. I'm probably going to switch to one of the bigger ones above once I get my bigger stall converter.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Sweet. Thanks. We actually have one in stock here at my carquest that measures 12"x10"x3/4". Looks like it comes with some extra 11/32" hose and miscellaneous fittings and clamps and what not. I think I am going to give this one a shot. I am mostly trying to extend what little life this 4l60e has left in it until tax season gets here when hopefully I will be converting to a 6 speed. And my extra cooling fan was to keep the coolant temps down for the motor in traffic mostly. But I might wait until after the winter to do that. We hopefully only have another few weeks or so of real hot weather down here in Alabama, which is really the only time I have trouble with temps spiking in traffic

Quick Reply: AUX trans cooler and fan