LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how much?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much?

Hey, so i am seriously considereing getting new headers, a y pipe and maybe a new throttle body on my 94 TA. For the headers/y pipe im looking at at least 450 new and the throttle body probly around 250-300.[B]So i was just curious as to what you all think labor would be on this sort of endeavor. I am aware it depends on where you go and many factors but im just looking for a ball park estimate. I know it would be cheapest to do it my self but I am a complete novice at this stuff and while i could problably handle the throttle, i dont want to get involved with the headers and stuff. Also another question, so just a basic understanding of physics and such would suggest that a larger throttle body should lead to more power but it will of course use more fuel so if i got a 52mm throttle body how much do you think it would impact my mpg. Or if that assumption is wrong and its somehow more efficient that would be great also.
If you actually read all this thanks!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume your car is nearly stock, you are wasting time bothering with an aftermarket TB, not gonna add any HP at stock level, probably cause idle issues, so just forget about that for now and concentrate elsewhere (exhaust, CAI, tune, gears) Header install is not going to be cheap or easy, if you are paying somebody, figure $70-100 per hour labor X 4-5 hours....or try it out yourself, you might just learn something and save some $$$. Buy decent gaskets too, the ones that most headers come with suck and will leak.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could easily install TB, although I would save that mod towards the end, spend money elsewhere first. LT install is from 350-500 labor. You'll find maybe someone that could do it for less but that's usually the range on labor. Make sure you use good gaskets, I used OEM new and stage 8 bolts. I'm sure I'm missing a few things.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks, Its pretty much stock but has a K&N cold air intake and a Hooker exhaust of some kined (maybe full cat back maybe just muffler). Thanks for the advice on the throttle, i guess ill hold off on that. Would a "high flow" cat be worth it or are they not really worth it.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nattybohsbros
Ok thanks, Its pretty much stock but has a K&N cold air intake and a Hooker exhaust of some kined (maybe full cat back maybe just muffler). Thanks for the advice on the throttle, i guess ill hold off on that. Would a "high flow" cat be worth it or are they not really worth it.
The vast majority of people that put on headers just go with an off road y....no cat, depends on local emissions testing. Some states/counties are very strict, others (like SC) have no inspection so you can probably run zoomies with no issues.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Well I live in MD and they test every 2 years though it may be exempt because of the age ill have to check that out. When I look at the the options on line the "race only" ones or those without "air injection" or whatever are technically illegal right, is that the jist. And sorry, another question, are long tubes gonna be the biggest power addition becasue ive seen both "shorties" and just regular ones.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Unless the headers have a clearly stamped "CARB legal in 50 states" label on them they are technically illegal for on road use due to changing the cat location; Pacesetter mid-tubes are the best compromise if you want CARB legal with your cat in the stock location. It depends if they actually look under you car for modifications, or just scan the PCM from under the dash to look for emissions codes. Some places just don't care
Old 09-30-2014, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

If you were closer I'd put a set of headers on for $150ish, assuming bolts didnt break.
and as everyone else said, Save that 250-300 on the throttle body and put it somewhere else. Such as a used nitrous kit
Old 09-30-2014, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Few if any shops are going to be willing to install non-emissions headers.

Far as the TB 52mm aftermarket is pure mistake, too many hassles when the stock one can be bored to that size cheaper and without IAC hassles. that is aside from the fact a stock engine really doesn't need much more air than the stock 48mm supplies, and that IF the bigger TB allows more airflow it would only hurt mileage and use more fuel if you have it wide open throttle more. at cruise the engine fuel usage is dictated by the power needed to spin the engine/drivetrain and fight the wind. TB size has exactly zero to do with any of that. You completely missunderstand the physics involved.

is the car automatic or manual? If automatic then the pcm needs reprogramming for a bigger TB or tranny damage can result. headers should be reprogrammed for especially since even a bone stock car can benefit from programming.

If so newb you don't want to do work and don't have a mentor, maybe start with something like gears that most folks pay for install labor on anyway. If an automatic 3.42-3.73 gears, if manual go straight to 4.10s, reprogram for the speedo and just to optimize the tuning for the stock motor.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish I could get someone to install my LT for that much. Referring to highflow cats I would not bother with LT's and stay with a ORY since high flows won't do much on emmisions running LT's. It will lower the volume though, lol.

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
If you were closer I'd put a set of headers on for $150ish, assuming bolts didnt break.
and as everyone else said, Save that 250-300 on the throttle body and put it somewhere else. Such as a used nitrous kit
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Teching In

So i saw on Ebay a set of new Pacesetter Mid tube headers with the Y for under 300 free shipping. seems likea good deal. So before i pull the trigger i was just curious if the power gains would be noticeable/worth it. Also should i definately get a tune immediately if i decide to get these? It is my every day driver and as i said it has a cold air intake and a hooker exhaust on it now.
Thanks

Quick Reply: how much?