LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High knock count on startup

Old 10-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High knock count on startup

I'm seeing knock counts between 2 and 7 thousand when i start my car (95 Firebird Formula A4), the count doesn't go up any more after the engine catches and is just idling though.

I'm not sure if this is normal or if it is going to be causing issues with how the PCM is trying to fuel/time the engine seeing all the knock. Do i need to get the KS desensitized?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Knock count is cumulative and the PCM makes it happen on purpose at start to verify the system. Worry about it if it is actively rising while driving or if it is causing a lot of knock retard.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Teching In

The pcm tests the octane of the fuel on startup by cranking in a lot of advance and determines which spark table to use from the results. Normal operation.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unforgiven
The pcm tests the octane of the fuel on startup by cranking in a lot of advance and determines which spark table to use from the results. Normal operation.
Really? in a '95 Firebird?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

It's false knock caused by the starter contacting the flywheel/flexplate. It's totally normal. If the computer ramped up the advance on start-up, you'd have a broken starter or nasty backfire. Knock sensors basically detect noise and when the teeth on the starter and the flywheel contact they create a lot of noise that is sent through the block and is picked up as knock. The only knock you need to worry about is while the car is running, start-up and when turning off the engine are irrelevant to the performance of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High knock count on startup