LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help on the newer 97 lt1 mods

Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on the newer 97 lt1 mods

Hello,
i now have a newer (to me) 97lt1 that is bone stock from a older gentlemen, so i dont think it was beat on too much, it has 90k miles and runs great, but they can always use a little extra

so far i just put in a 255lph fuel pumpo (stock one went bad)

i have a set of headers from the older on that i will put on i guess,

the last one that i had open headers on was way to loud (cops loved my funding) so what muffers are not so loud but still sounds like its got a pair,

so in total i got about 5k to fix it up to what ever, so what mods would u suggest, it still needs to be reliable and able to drive everyday because it will be a dd (just not in the winter)

from what i hear a CAI is useless on these cars

thanks in advance
dave
Old 10-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely need to run a full exhaust on that car. A set of long tube headers, quality y pipe and a cat back of your choice is a good start. Exhaust note is subjective so i cant choose one for you but i run a borla cat back and i like it. And unless you have a ram air set up a cold air kit will always be a good add on. Once again there are a handful to choose from. I have a K&N CAI with 0 complaints.

A stall and gear with a nice external trans cooler all topped off by a tune would set her up nice for the street.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

CAI is very worthwhile on these cars, the factory box has way too much restrictions. I like magnaflow catback a and mufflers personally, they sound good to ME and flow great being a straight through design. I'd do long tube headers, new poly motor and trans mounts, CAI, and a mail order tune to start. Then just fix any issues and get it running perfect all the way to 6100rpm, then new good springs and full roller 1.6 rockers with good new springs (MUST do springs if you do rockers or cam, stockers can't handle any more lift). At that point, with an auto get a stall, sticky tires and at least 3.42 gears from an m6 or 3.73 if new set, and you should be solidly in the 12s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help on the newer 97 lt1 mods