LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

To Cam or Cam not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To Cam or Cam not?

I've owned a few camaros, well 6 to be exact. I've always wanted to put in a different cam but never had the knowledge or money. Within a few weeks i will have the money just can't find anyone reliable or trustworthy to do the labor. Me doing it is not gonna happen since I will destroy the motor if I touch it, lol. I know I want a CC 503 should be just right with a full bolt ons and 3.90 gearing I'll have.

I know upgrading the valvetrain is a must definitely going to do 1.6 RR's, springs, locks, retainers and hardened push rods. If I'm missing something let me know I'll do the timing chain as well. Just afraid anybody working on it will destroy my opti trying to pull the cam swap or something else and cause a crap load of headache.

Most mechanics I know can't change plugs on my car without bitching about it. Does anyone know someone reliable and fair price in Southern California, Los Angeles area?. With full bolt ons a good tune will a CC503 yield 340+rwhp?. Or should I just put nitrous on it spray a 125-150 shot wet and call it a day. I say that since my last 3 camaros had nitrous. I'm confused and need some sort of guidance, any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you won't do the work, don't know anyone to do the work.. So I would say stick nitrous to it and call it a day.

Or do some research and give the swap a try.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Uhhhh... what happened to the last 5? I mean, if you don't trust yourself to put a cam in then I don't think spraying is a great idea. But it's your car and if you've done it before, then by all means...
Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Uhhhh... what happened to the last 5? I mean, if you don't trust yourself to put a cam in then I don't think spraying is a great idea. But it's your car and if you've done it before, then by all means...

I was kinda wondering the same thing but figured if he does blow it up I would like to see a video.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually never blown up a Camaro, all ran strong. I sold them or traded them in. Traded one in for a Z06 which a girl cut me off and that was gone. Traded a LT1 for a LS1. One I sold because I was getting married needed money. Then a friend of mine wanted to buy one he offered me a good deal. So that's life story in short. Basically generally you guys are saying I should stick to nitrous. Which is a good idea I've had excellent experience with nitrous and should just stick to what I know. I appreciate the advice.

Last edited by karpetcm; 11-07-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a nitrous guy but having ran tons of nitrous I still hate pulling bottles out and filling them. Nitrous runs out. period. Engine mods that increase power all the time as long as there is fuel in the tank are hard to beat. My trans am is faster than my supercharged truck but only when the bottles are full.... my .02
Old 11-07-2014, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
I'm a nitrous guy but having ran tons of nitrous I still hate pulling bottles out and filling them. Nitrous runs out. period. Engine mods that increase power all the time as long as there is fuel in the tank are hard to beat. My trans am is faster than my supercharged truck but only when the bottles are full.... my .02
Ditto.
I ran nitrous in mine this past weekend at the Southern SuperHeavy Shootout and was reminded what a PITA it is - keeping bottle temps up through a whole day of racing in cold weather. I had been running the car NA for the past year at the strip and roadcourse outings and really enjoying the low workload!
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No doubt PITA for removing bottle finding a place to fill and going there. Then bottle needs to be put in a fridge fill up which was always a 2 hour drama for me and back in the car. Not to mention constantly trying to keep track of bottle pressure and once got up to 1500+psi. I would love a cam just a lot of unknowns and most mechanics I know just don't touch cam work or would rather not do it.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

There are so many good write-ups that if you have basic mechanical skills, you can proabably get it done. Shbox has a good write-up that I followed when I did mine. It's really not that hard, just takes a little time and learning. Hardest part for me was f**king with the stupid *** design of the harmonic balancer.

I say go for it.

http://shbox.com/ci/cam_install.html

Quick Reply: To Cam or Cam not?