LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

camshaft??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft??

Hey guys. Brand new here. Not totally new to camaros but new to upgrading them. Im gonna rebuild my 94 z28 soon and wanna do some upgrades. One of which is getting a better cam. So what is a good cam to put in it. Im not a drag racer and dont need that just a good cam to go into a near stock engine.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

are you just asking for a later date or is a cam swap what you want to do now? cuz bolt-on LT1's can be quick if you do them right...
Old 12-06-2014, 05:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why are you looking to rebuild?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:13 AM

I bought the car not to long ago with low oil pressure. Guy said undersized bearings were accidently put it. So i gotta pull engine break it down and replace. And while i have it out ima replace a bunch of normal wear parts. Upgrade few things at the same time. Its at 200k so id rather put it newstuff now. All new gaskets and what not
Old 12-06-2014, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

"Undersized bearing were accidentally put in it" write off that motor and just drop a good used one.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
"Undersized bearing were accidentally put in it" write off that motor and just drop a good used one.
Well the engine still runs damn good. No noise or anything suprisingly but i want to change them before damage occurs
Old 12-06-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kylesyles13
I bought the car not to long ago with low oil pressure. Guy said undersized bearings were accidently put it. So i gotta pull engine break it down and replace. And while i have it out ima replace a bunch of normal wear parts. Upgrade few things at the same time. Its at 200k so id rather put it newstuff now. All new gaskets and what not
whatever else was done by PO or whoever "rebuilt" this motor before is in ?

if in fact "undersize" bearings were put in and now resulting in low oil pressure....wow.

have a qualified machine shop inspect/mic block, crank, rods, pistons/rings. sounds like you need a complete rebuild once you get this deep

you are going to get into $ quick. Decide what you really want out of the car/motor and build the new motor accordingly. If keeping heads stock you will minimally need new valve springs. Cam cards note min. valve spring required

some off the shelf cams used with stock heads are (need to get new valve springs):

Comp 502
Comp 465
Lingenfelter 211/219

or a custom grind cam from Lloyd Elliott or Advanced Induction

any cam will require a PCM tune

Given the unknown of what PO did to the motor...as Caprice notes you may be better off getting a junkyard un-molested LT-1 and "freshen" it up with bearings & rings.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Yeah possibly may end up getting diff motor. I just dont wanna go to deep into money. I just wanna open it all up inspect everything replace what needs to be and what not. Things im planning on replacing are:
Rods
Springs
Rockers
Valve lifters
All gaskets
Oil pump just because
Cam
Spark plugs
Wires
Distributor
Thermostat
Water pump

Thats the plan i just want all good decent parts. I want it to be good strong street car with little boost in power
Old 12-06-2014, 04:50 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Somebody is lying to you. Undersized bearings on a standard crank would be locked up. Would not have low oil pressure. Standard bearings on a crank ground for undersize bearings would not only have low oil pressure, but would knock so bad most people would not buy it after hearing it run.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Ive never delt with these bearing befre and do not know much of anything about them. Before i do this replacing i will be hooking up a mechanical text gauge to check it. But reguardless im gonna put buncha new stuff in engine. So you dont think it could be the bearing. He said the crankshaft is still stock
Old 12-06-2014, 07:49 PM
9-Second Club

Ive never delt with these bearing befre and do not know much of anything about them. Before i do this replacing i will be hooking up a mechanical text gauge to check it. But reguardless im gonna put buncha new stuff in engine. So you dont think it could be the bearing. He said the crankshaft is still stock
If the crank is still stock/ standard size, and you put under sized bearings in it, you would not be able to turn the crank.
Likely does have the wrong bearing clearances, and / or a worn out oil pump.
Under sized bearings provide a smaller bore for the crank. If the crank has not been "turned", it would be too large for under size bearings. Simple.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 12-07-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 PM

When i start the car the pressure gauge reads about 30-40. After heating up to about 180 the pressure will drop to about 5 or less. So i dont know if gauge is lying. Maybe its the pump or some worn out clearences possibly. He says he replaced short block. Didnt ask why stupid me but i just want to figure the problem out. I know i can replace oil pump just by removing pan correct
Old 12-06-2014, 08:33 PM
9-Second Club

When i start the car the pressure gauge reads about 30-40. After heating up to about 180 the pressure will drop to about 5 or less. So i dont know if gauge is lying. Maybe its the pump or some worn out clearences possibly. He says he replaced short block. Didnt ask why stupid me but i just want to figure the problem out. I know i can replace oil pump just by removing pan correct
Only way anybody could know the cause would be to put a manual gauge on it, but not real likely to show that much lower when warmed up. If it drops like that on a mechanical gauge, it will have to be torn down, so clearances could be measured, and the oil pump checked. Nobody here can tell you it is this or that. Just make useless guesses.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:43 PM

Yeah. Ima go test it soon. And Those psi were at idle. But still helps to get tips from more experienced peeps. As far as the camshaft goes what kinda cam would be good for the engine.?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Ed is right in what he says about the motor.
My comment above was basically to say if the previous owner was so dumb as to say such a thing, or to try and halfassed a shortblocks and still have low pressure etc, then I would just start over. Both he and you are too ignorant to do much but make problems worse, functioning used engine is the easy fix.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:04 PM

Well im not trying to be ignorant. Just wanted to fix a problem.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well im not trying to be ignorant. Just wanted to fix a problem.
Don't mind "96capricemgr". He's not trying to be nasty and doesn't mean you're ignorant as in ill-mannered. I think he's just trying to say you don't have the knowledge needed to do the correct things required under the circumstances.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Well i still wanna learn. And i want to attempt the fix. If it goes bad or what not i dont mind buying another ngine. But i still dont have the attitude to just give up on one thing. Spending money dont bother
me
Old 12-07-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is the same way, it's been like that for last 14 years. The pressure does increase with rpm when it's warm though.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Yeah when im driving it will only sit at about 10-20 psi though

Quick Reply: camshaft??