LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti dying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti dying?

Awhile back i replaced my leaking water pump but the opti seemed fine so i kept it in. Just recently i had a hose burst. I was literally a block away from my mechanic so i turned the car back on and drove it there.

So i pick the car up and when im almost home After about 10 min of driving the car would seem to want to die when i would give it gas. I pulled to the side of the road and the rpms was fluctuating a bit like the engine was trying to keep itself on. Ended up driving the car home since i was a few streets away but whenever i would give it a bit of gas it would almost die out.

Not sure what other info i can give. Is it my opti or could it be something else? Fuel pump maybe. Hopefully something cheaper then doing my opti
Old 12-20-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

water exposure to opti from WP leak or hose often leads to your symptoms.

while you could have other issues given the water exposure you note I would pull opti and look inside. I have successfully cleaned one before from coolant but if the optical parts gets shorted you need a new unit

rockauto.com has the new Delphi for around $280
Old 12-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

should i get this cheaper one
Amazon.com: Brand New Second Generation Vented Gen 2 Optispark Ignition Distributor Complete Oem Fit D95LT: Automotive Amazon.com: Brand New Second Generation Vented Gen 2 Optispark Ignition Distributor Complete Oem Fit D95LT: Automotive

or get a delphi one for close to 300

anything else i should replace while im doing this?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Bird97
should i get this cheaper one Amazon.com: Brand New Second Generation Vented Gen 2 Optispark Ignition Distributor Complete Oem Fit D95LT: Automotive

or get a delphi one for close to 300

anything else i should replace while im doing this?
All Optis are his and miss, I have heard even with the $500+ dyna spark, people have had trouble but I never have, Back in the day I purchased a GM Opti from the chevy dealership and it didnt even start the car, Rotor was pressed in 180* out, then I have heard of people running the $150 Auto Zone with no problems so? Opti parts have changed hands form over seas back to the US so I guess people will chime in on what they have and how well they worked, But always, I would open it up, look inside and loktite the screws to the rotor and seal the cap to the base.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Just wanted to add that the only code my car is throwing is p0118 which is engine coolant temp sensor. Ive read that if my sensor on the opti wasnt working then it would throw a code? Just needs the cap and rotor replaced then? or am I looking at something else?
Old 12-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Teching In

I saw this the other day for checking out the optical sensor:

http://1320electronics.com/OptisparkMonitor.html

If it's running right now, use that or an oscilloscope to make sure your sensor is working. If it is working, pull it off and clean it out.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

can the sensor be bad and not throw a code?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

LT1

don't get any opti other than AC Delco or Delphi. The Delphi at rockauto is what I found to be the cheapest. Don't buy a $99 POS

opti failure often does not trigger any codes.

Since you report water exposure to opti that leads me to believe that is the cause. you may have other problems beyond the opti though.

you can remove the opti and take it apart to see if there is crap inside and clean it. if the problem was just due to crap in it, it should be fine after carefully cleaning it. If however there is a electrical problem with it, its done

there are procedures involving a oscilloscope testing to determine if it functions properly but that is something most DIY don't have or the skill set to use it.

Quick Reply: Opti dying?