LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car Not Running - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever test out a new optispark? I think you are on the wrong path...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:56 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you didn't remove every spark plug, I'm not sure how accurate the compression results would be. I believe there would be some impact upon your readings.

My money is also on the optispark.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Did you ever test out a new optispark? I think you are on the wrong path...
I didn't test out a new one just because I wanted to look into everything before I spent $500 on a new opti. Figured it was best to do a thorough troubleshooting first. Plus I am still new to this area and don't know anyone with a good opti just laying around.

I also have always had the feeling it was the opti, but I wanted to make sure. I just ordered a new MSD unit and will do new wires while I am at it. It ships out today so I hope to have it put back together and running this weekend. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Good luck with the MSD, but if it's not too late I would cancel the order and get a Delphi or AC Delco. MSD optis may be marginally better than other aftermarket junk.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BTC
Good luck with the MSD, but if it's not too late I would cancel the order and get a Delphi or AC Delco. MSD optis may be marginally better than other aftermarket junk.

My newly rebuilt MSD works like a champ!

OP, definitely hook up the improved vent design on the MSD, it pulls fresh air from the rubber intake bellow and sucks it back out though engine vacuum with the hoses they include.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:34 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ahritchie
My newly rebuilt MSD works like a champ!
Perhaps, but I believe there is enough evidence to conclude that the MSD opti is not nearly as reliable as an OEM unit, not to mention it is probably more expensive.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BTC
Perhaps, but I believe there is enough evidence to conclude that the MSD opti is not nearly as reliable as an OEM unit, not to mention it is probably more expensive.
Sounds like hearsay, I have actual experience with the MSD unit. I've spun my motor up 6500 rpm making power numerous times Driven through 2-3 inches of standing water, snow, 10 degree or below temperatures, 90 degree plus humid days, etc. For over four years, this Opti has never skipped a beat. I better go knock on wood now. I'm just saying
Old 04-23-2015, 11:53 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by E30Speed
Sounds like hearsay, I have actual experience with the MSD unit. I've spun my motor up 6500 rpm making power numerous times Driven through 2-3 inches of standing water, snow, 10 degree or below temperatures, 90 degree plus humid days, etc. For over four years, this Opti has never skipped a beat. I better go knock on wood now. I'm just saying
I'm glad you have had a positive experience, but I'm pretty comfortable speculating that the failure rate of the MSD in comparison to AC Delco/Delphi is much higher.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

I will add in my personal experience, my stock AC delco took a dump at around 70K, I had a gently used (supposedly only a few thousand miles on it) MSD I paid $200 for that had a sporadic misfire at high RPM. I ended up taking it off and putting on a cheap "dura last gold" auto zone POS, that ended up with a highly sporadic low RPM misfire/stumble/backfire, until it failed 2K miles later, I decided to give MSD another chance, and paid MSD $137 to "rebuild" the old MSD (I'm 90% sure they just sent me a brand new one, the case was not scuffed up/scratched like the old one) and send me the vent hoses that were missing. My car had never had a vented opti until a couple months ago...

Biggest advantage to MSD is they stand behind the product and will fix it if something happens out of warranty (even it you didn't buy it new), worst case scenario you are out another $137....AC delco makes no such promises. Something to consider which is certainly not hearsay.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Damn, maybe I didn't do enough research, but I was under the impression that MSD opti's were considered as good as delco/delphi. Well, too late now, let's just hope it works and holds up!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Launching!

So on the new opti instructions it says to take the cap off the old opti and see the rotor position and make sure the new one lines up correctly. Do I really need to do that? If I put the dowel pin in the right hole, shouldnt that automatically line up the rotor?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by derekstl
So on the new opti instructions it says to take the cap off the old opti and see the rotor position and make sure the new one lines up correctly. Do I really need to do that? If I put the dowel pin in the right hole, shouldnt that automatically line up the rotor?
Yeah it should...I believe those instructions intended for use with the older spline driven optisparks....it's harder to line those up in just a few tries if you don't mark it, I know from experience!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Any update?
Old 05-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by onesloGTO
Any update?
Ok, so last night I left everything the way it was and just hooked up the new opti. Car started (yay!) and ran much better, but not quite right yet. I didn't fully expect it to because I still had the MAF and all that stuff unplugged and still have the water pump off. I am going to take this opportunity to go ahead and put fresh plus and wires on just to be safe. Hopefully once I put everything back together and let it run for a little bit, it will be able to work out the kinks.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by derekstl
Ok, so last night I left everything the way it was and just hooked up the new opti. Car started (yay!) and ran much better, but not quite right yet. I didn't fully expect it to because I still had the MAF and all that stuff unplugged and still have the water pump off. I am going to take this opportunity to go ahead and put fresh plus and wires on just to be safe. Hopefully once I put everything back together and let it run for a little bit, it will be able to work out the kinks.
Yeah, don't run it more than a few seconds with no WP. New plugs and wires are a good idea...you might stumble upon some plug/wire issue.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brioneschevybelair
Help I swap 94 Lt1 into 86 camaro but never really driven it and it cranks but won't start fuel pressure is 43 new fuel pump put in a new ICM how do you test a coil and how do I test
fuel injectors thank you
You can test the coil by checking for spark at the cylinder or from the wire going from the coil to the cap and rotor, they sell spark testers that will put a load on the coil and you can check spark color for strength. You can also ohm it out (check out shbox.com for that procedure).

Injectors can be checked for signal with a noid light, or you can just pull the fuel rails and watch to make sure they all spray but don't leak when you crank the engine.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Launching!

So this is waaayyy late, but I figured I would update this thread. I replaced the Opti and put new wires on as I found out one was cracked. The car is running now, had to bleed the coolant system for a while, but finally got it figured out. Now it is pretty much running, but I think I still have a vacuum leak somewhere. Sometimes when it idles, it will idle high and start revving up around 2k rpms. And sometimes when I am driving, it has a bad hesitation until I give it more throttle. Almost seems like it will cut out when I am cruising sometimes. Hope to figure out that mystery soon.

Quick Reply: Car Not Running - Need Help