LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Update: 01/22/16 "My crappy turbo build"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Apologies if this is a silly question, I've only built one boosted car and it wasn't a big V8 so I know the "rules" may be way different. Is the Co2 kit just so you can run very low boost easily by using a small spring for the street and then use the co2 on the top port to turn it way up? Unless you want massive boost potential wouldn't just getting the proper WG spring be way easier, simpler, and cheaper since you can usually get roughly double spring pressure as max PSI?

I know its a tiny motor, but without any co2 my little 6cyl 1JZ had no problem controlling 19psi with a Turbosmart 45mm WG and a TruBoost EBC while testing. Turned it down to 16psi on a 14psi spring and everything is great, zero boost creep or spiking. Can run as low as 14psi and theoretically up to 29psi to max out the EBC for ~700+hp...if it wouldn't instantly grenade the stock trans .
Small spring and not reliant on how the turbo/gate ramp rate is. Telling what the boost pressure is versus trying to work up to what you need is nice too.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puck
Apologies if this is a silly question, I've only built one boosted car and it wasn't a big V8 so I know the "rules" may be way different. Is the Co2 kit just so you can run very low boost easily by using a small spring for the street and then use the co2 on the top port to turn it way up? Unless you want massive boost potential wouldn't just getting the proper WG spring be way easier, simpler, and cheaper since you can usually get roughly double spring pressure as max PSI?

I know its a tiny motor, but without any co2 my little 6cyl 1JZ had no problem controlling 19psi with a Turbosmart 45mm WG and a TruBoost EBC while testing. Turned it down to 16psi on a 14psi spring and everything is great, zero boost creep or spiking. Can run as low as 14psi and theoretically up to 29psi to max out the EBC for ~700+hp...if it wouldn't instantly grenade the stock trans .

That is basically what the CO2 does. Im on a 8lb spring. I chose the slightly high rate spring because I was only trying to make 15lbs of boost. But I got greedy and said I could prolly make more than 15lbs of boost. I think if I got the converter right along with the dialed in suspension on 8lbs I think that would be just enough for me to get a 1.3-1.4 60ft.

Im not making power like these radial cars that are making 1300whp+ and need to leave at a lower boost level. I know some radial cars that leave on as little as 4lbs and the C02 brings them in well over 30lbs over the course of the pass.

My little AMS controller has 100psi solenoids that increase and decrease pressure making it easier than the Truboost EBC to control boost.

So the end goal for me is to use the CO2 and make more than double the spring pressure.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Small spring and not reliant on how the turbo/gate ramp rate is. Telling what the boost pressure is versus trying to work up to what you need is nice too.
Exactly!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately for me I cannot use an electronic controller due to the rules at the LTx shootout so I run off the spring, Im at full boost at 3600 rpm which seems to be pretty good because I can hook and stay hooked by the time the boost is in, but again Im at only 12lbs it may a little different at 15+
Old 02-01-2017, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Unfortunately for me I cannot use an electronic controller due to the rules at the LTx shootout so I run off the spring, Im at full boost at 3600 rpm which seems to be pretty good because I can hook and stay hooked by the time the boost is in, but again Im at only 12lbs it may a little different at 15+
Wait, you can use a EBC in the LTX shootout? Im not digging that Im only on 8lbs so I could make sure I had traction out the gate
Old 02-01-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
Wait, you can use a EBC in the LTX shootout? Im not digging that Im only on 8lbs so I could make sure I had traction out the gate
Yup, but some say that if you do not use the EBC to control the boost and just leave it wide open then you can use one, not sure, but if I have to use a manual I guess I will try that..
Old 02-02-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell you can turn up the boost on a manual controller. I dont think thats fair but oh well. Lol
Old 02-02-2017, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Yup agree, they are saying like you cannot use an EBC for like boost per gear or rpm, I dont see why since NOS users can have progressive controllers..
Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Yup agree, they are saying like you cannot use an EBC for like boost per gear or rpm, I dont see why since NOS users can have progressive controllers..
Exactly. Mine is timed based any ways. I dont have the boost by gear option. Tryna handicap the turbo cars
Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Man-Crush Warning

I had mine on two years ago, oops?

Pretty sure the only rule is you can't be editing your ramps between passes if you run true street.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
I had mine on two years ago, oops?

Pretty sure the only rule is you can't be editing your ramps between passes if you run true street.
Thats a lot better then. I'd waste a trip if I came up and could only run in the outlaw class
Old 02-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Man-Crush Warning

You can run Outlaw, ModPA and TS, but as stated TS the EBC "should" be off.

More annoyingly is that street cars can't have single planes.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the Extreme Street PA electronic boost controllers and progressive nitrous controllers are prohibited. So the nitrous guys aren't getting an advantage over the boost guys.

In the Mod PA class both electronic boost controllers and progressive nitrous controllers are allowed there.

For the True Street class I read nothing regarding either unless yours is controlled by a laptop. As there is no laptop allowed in the car during that class. So you should be good to go there.

As for the single plane in ESPA its just not going to happen, annoying or not.

Last edited by muddyjimmy; 02-06-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by muddyjimmy
In the Extreme Street PA electronic boost controllers and progressive nitrous controllers are prohibited. So the nitrous guys aren't getting an advantage over the boost guys.

In the Mod PA class both electronic boost controllers and progressive nitrous controllers are allowed there.

For the True Street class I read nothing regarding either unless yours is controlled by a laptop. As there is no laptop allowed in the car during that class. So you should be good to go there.

As for the single plane in ESPA its just not going to happen, annoying or not.
Thanks for the info. Not trying to set the world on fire but want to make sure I dont handicap myself either!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Launching!

No problem not trying to get your thread off topic I just wanted to correct what was said so everyone knows the correct rules.

As for you car, S480 is a 80mm correct? That would put you in the Mod PA class anyway so you won't have to worry about the EBC rule in Extreme Street PA. Extreme Street has a 76mm turbo limit.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem not trying to get your thread off topic I just wanted to correct what was said so everyone knows the correct rules.

As for you car, S480 is a 80mm correct? That would put you in the Mod PA class anyway so you won't have to worry about the EBC rule in Extreme Street PA. Extreme Street has a 76mm turbo limit.
No worries man. Thanks for clearing that up though!
Old 02-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Looks like things are coming together. I will be looking forward to seeing this thing running at the track this year.

I am kicking around the idea of going turbo with my next LT1 build instead the N2O route I have been. I am going through and reading all the turbo threads. Anything you would do differently if you had to do everything over again?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like things are coming together. I will be looking forward to seeing this thing running at the track this year.

I am kicking around the idea of going turbo with my next LT1 build instead the N2O route I have been. I am going through and reading all the turbo threads. Anything you would do differently if you had to do everything over again?
For all out competition I would have went solid roller over hydraulic (which mean I would relocate the coil packs for ease of valve adjustments), I would have went with larger heads (sbc Brodix conversion heads), drop-in fuel pump setup (I have right at about $1k in it and could have had way more external pump for that price) and most importantly I would ditch the 24x in a heartbeat for a MS3 Pro, BS3, Holley Dominator or the entry level Fuel Tech. I am pretty content with my suspension upgrades so far.

At this point I dont think the stock intake is really a restriction. But I'd like to go high ram since my goal are mid 8s or mid 5s after I do some upgrades.

But make sure when you have your hotside fabbed, request for easy plug access. So if your at the track, you can change plugs in a matter of minutes. Thats the only thing I regret on my setup. Its extremely tight and time consuming to change my plugs. It almost takes about the same time as a standard LT1 with shorty headers.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Thanks for that information. Still not sure what direction I want to go with the Camaro but I do appreciate the insight.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well this may be my last happy post.

Off to the track on Sunday to she how and what she'll do. Its been 3 years of blood sweat and tears. And a whole lot of buying wrong parts and selling parts that were ordered waaaaaaay too early.

Im going into this expecting the worse. Hopefully I can come away from this feeling somewhat satisfied. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Update: 01/22/16 "My crappy turbo build"