LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting Issues with a '96 Trans Am A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issues with a '96 Trans Am A4

On Saturday, my car decided that it won't start. Before I changed the starter, it would turn over but just wouldn't turn on. The alternator is new, the ICM is new, the battery is 6 months old. I took the battery to Autozone, and they said everything works fine with the battery. I thought, it was the starter, took me several hours to figure out how to take off the old starter & how to put it back on the new one. After finally putting the brand new starter back on, the car will just click. It won't turn over anymore like it did before I took off the starter. I don't know what else it can be. Any Ideas or Solutions are welcomed. (Check the fuses and everything in the box are still in intacted and not blown.)
Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Teching In

When ever I know a car that cranks but does not start, I start with the basics, check for fuel and spark, when i first bought my 96 formula, it would take a solid 5 seconds to start, it ended up being the fuel pump and now it starts within the first two seconds, but I would start with that, does it feel like it wants to fire or does it just keep turning over?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lotsof
When ever I know a car that cranks but does not start, I start with the basics, check for fuel and spark, when i first bought my 96 formula, it would take a solid 5 seconds to start, it ended up being the fuel pump and now it starts within the first two seconds, but I would start with that, does it feel like it wants to fire or does it just keep turning over?
He said it just clicks, doesn't turn over. Check your connections from the battery all the way to the starter, Look and see if they are corroded..
Old 02-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

What's the voltage on the battery? Wondering if you killed it by trying to start it. I'd get a volt meter and do my own before having anything tested at Autozone.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:30 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How long has it been since the car ran?

If the engine was turning over ok, you probably didn't need a new starter. All the starter does is crank the engine. If the new starter is just clicking, that is usually indicative that it's not getting enough juice. Have you tried hooking up a battery charger while starting it, or jumping it off of another vehicle?

Unless it was just not cranking at a sufficient speed, and that was due to a bad starter, you may still need to resolve the issue that was preventing it from starting in the first place.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Launching!

As others stated. Check the battery and also check the battery connections. A weak battery or a loose connection can cause the clicking. Once that's fixed and it trys to turn over but doesn't start check the fuel pump. There's a red jumper wire on the pass side shock tower that you csn use to jump it. Check to make sure it's priming and go from there.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Simple way to see if the battery and/or connection is bad is to turn on the headlights and try to start it.

Quick Reply: Starting Issues with a '96 Trans Am A4