LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Electrical issue..car will not start at all!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue..car will not start at all!

Guys when I go and turn the key to start my car I am getting nothing. No sounds, no clicking, no fans turning on, etc. Go and try it again few minutes later and the car starts right up and runs perfect.

I am thinking something electrical is going on because all the time the power to my radio will go out when I am driving, it goes out and comes back on, over and over but the car is running perfect when this is happening. Also, the other morning car did the same thing would not start, but than started but this time all the instrument lights were on when I was driving...hand brake light, air bag light, check gauges light, etc.

So what do you think? With the radio doing what it is doing I am thinking it has to be something electrical. BTW, 97 z28...new battery, opti, etc and the radio is stock.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a number of things. When I picked up my 95, it wasn't running at all, when the key was one click before starting position, all the gauge lights worked etc, as soon as you'd turn the key to start all the gauges went away, there was no starter click or anything. I purchased a AC Delco ignition switch from Oreilys for 40$ and haven't had a problem since. On the simpler side of things, you could always see if your battery terminals are tight.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, that is the problem it could definitely be a number of things. Just curious but how hard was it to install the ignition switch?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikEverhard
Yeah, that is the problem it could definitely be a number of things. Just curious but how hard was it to install the ignition switch?
http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html
Old 03-01-2015, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ErikEverhard
Not very hard, follow what shbox said, I followed his instructional write up, picture by picture, one thing i can say to make it easier, remove your driver side seat, it'll be much easier laying down in the floor looking up where you'll be working. Fairly straight forward, basic hand tools.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure if this does matter but if it was the ignition switch would it also cause my gas mileage odometer to reset back to zero each time?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

You know I can't really comment on that being as I didn't own my car while the ignition switch was going bad. I probably wouldn't think so. Id strongly suggest the ignition switch, it took me a total of maybe 3-4 hours, I was goofing around taking very long breaks in between because it was during the hot summer. I only needed an extra set of hands removing the steering column.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:57 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Pull back the plastic sleeve on the battery terminal and look at where the copper on the cable goes into the terminal crimp. Sometimes they're rotted like this:

Quick Reply: Electrical issue..car will not start at all!