LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New build

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New build

Hey guys im new to this site. I have a few questions for you guys and maybe you can help me out. I have a 94' firebird that has the v-6 in it and i was wondering what all i would have to have and or do in order to drop in a 350 since that appears to be the only other motor they stuck in it.
1. would i have to have a tbi or a fuel injection?
2. What modifications do i need to do?
3. How many cross members will i need to change?
4. What wiring harnesses will i need?

anything and everything will be greatly appreciated and i can also keep everyone updated on whats going on as i get into it if you would like.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyOldy
Hey guys im new to this site. I have a few questions for you guys and maybe you can help me out. I have a 94' firebird that has the v-6 in it and i was wondering what all i would have to have and or do in order to drop in a 350 since that appears to be the only other motor they stuck in it.
1. would i have to have a tbi or a fuel injection?
TBI is Throttle Body Injection and was used from 87-95 on GM trucks and cars. I wouldn't even think of putting it in your car. You don't NEED fuel injection but running a carb requires mods to the cowl to clear any sort of air cleaner assembly. Fuel Injection is the way to go.
2. What modifications do i need to do?
Wiring harness, exhaust, transmission, driveshaft, cooling, k-member, etc and that's just to get it to run, not counting any mods you want to do. Unless you really love your car, you would be much further ahead buying an LT1/LS1 car than going to the trouble of swapping a motor in.
3. How many cross members will i need to change?
K-member is different because of the motor mounts, the trans cross member should be the same unless you swap in a T-56.
4. What wiring harnesses will i need?
The entire engine harness whether LT1 or LS1, whatever motor you choose. Buying a wrecked donor car is probably the only good option so that you have everyting you need. Piecing things together gets spendy.

anything and everything will be greatly appreciated and i can also keep everyone updated on whats going on as i get into it if you would like.
Like I said above, it's really not worth the trouble unless you really love the car and got it dirt cheap. All those little items you need to make it run correctly will add up fast, not to mention buying/building a motor and trans. Best to just find a cheap LT1/LS1 car and more than likely be money ahead.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Well we paid 500$ for it. The kid that previously owned it warped the heads and put pontaic g6 heads and intake on it. Has an oil leak in the valley that i cant seal up tried like hell to do so. So in other words its a nice car and i do want to keep it just dont like the sound of it or the motor or the work he has done to it period.
He also went threw and did alot of work to the suspension and very little to the drive train as far as i can tell. Mainly stiffened the suspension and added a disc brake rear axle to it.
All in all i need something to do and dont mind sinking the money into it. At the point and moment i am more or less building a list of stuff i need to do and or get to do all this.
As far as the trans cross its a standard trans as it sits i know i would more than likely have to get a bell housing but would it bolt to a 350 with out having to change the input shaft?
Most of the work i usually do to vehicles is on diesels or older model diesels and i know what needs work for those, hence the reasons i am asking about the list of needs for this.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

man he said it best you are better off buying a lt1 car for around $3500 because you will have all of $4000.00 into your car easily trying to make it into a lt1 car. and that's if you do all the work yourself. And it will still be a v6 car and not worth any resale if you decided to get rid of it.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a stock V6 replacement engine. Rebuild and install it. Sell it for 2-3k. Put that towards the Z28.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the exact same thing I did with my car...maaaaaaany years ago. Looking back, I'd never do it again. I promise you, it might seem cheap and awesome to swap it, but it's 100% just as expensive as buying a V8 car to begin with. Listen to the previous posts. Not to mention, if you ever go to sell it, you'll be burdened by the V6 VIN...

...ask me how I know...
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Here you go.
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm

If the car looks nice and has real suspension upgrades, then the swap would definitely be worthwhile if you could find engine/trans for a reasonable price. I frequent the u-pull-it yards in my area and it's not that unusual for a v8 car to pop up (although manual will be much trickier). The car will definitely be ragged out with insane mileage but you'll be able to get all of the odds and ends for dirt cheap.

Quick Reply: New build