LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Texas Emission question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Emission question

Hey guys,
I just moved to Texas and my brother was telling me every year there is an emission test out here that is mandatory. I'm a little concerned because my car has the cat gutted out, no a.i.r pump, and throttle body bypass. What are your thoughts on this? Will I be ok with the test, or do everything I can to avoid the test or just get the parts I need to pass while gaining power in the process?! I'm in the process of planning thoroughly my long tube x pipe set-up and wondering what my options are with this Texas hinder in the way. I moved from Florida so anything with 4 wheels and lights will be no biggie there!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on what county you live in. Only the bigger city counties do a real emissions test. You can check the Texas DMV site for what county tests what.

All counties will do a visual check of headlights, windshield wipers, etc. Emissions counties will check different things, but mainly 96+ is a plug-in only test. 95 and older get the rolling test. All emissions stuff has to be there (cats, EVAP, EGR, AIR). You can easily tune the codes out. You're allowed 2 non-ready flags max. LT's are fine, as long as they have emissions hook-ups.

The easiest way is to register your car in a county that doesn't do those tests. Mine passes in Houston all day long (H/C, LT's, high flow cats, etc). I bolt my AIR pump back on for emissions, it's already tuned out.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man welcome to Texas. As far as emissions goes, it depends on where you live and what year the car is. There are non-emissions counties but if you do have to pass emissions you really will need a cat. Most places won't actually check the emissions equipment but some will. They really only care if it passes the sniffer test. First thing to do is find out if you live in an emissions county. 96-97 cars are not run on the rollers they plug in their equipment to your OBD2 port and see if the car says the emissions equipment is ready. Tuners can trick the pcm to thinking it's ready even if it's not. If you have a 93-95 you will have to put it on the rollers and they'll check it.

I hope you like it here. I've lived in Texas my whole life and could not see living anywhere else. I love it here.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spartan7
It depends on what county you live in. Only the bigger city counties do a real emissions test. You can check the Texas DMV site for what county tests what.

All counties will do a visual check of headlights, windshield wipers, etc. Emissions counties will check different things, but mainly 96+ is a plug-in only test. 95 and older get the rolling test. All emissions stuff has to be there (cats, EVAP, EGR, AIR). You can easily tune the codes out. You're allowed 2 non-ready flags max. LT's are fine, as long as they have emissions hook-ups.

The easiest way is to register your car in a county that doesn't do those tests. Mine passes in Houston all day long (H/C, LT's, high flow cats, etc). I bolt my AIR pump back on for emissions, it's already tuned out.
You beat me to it. Lol.

Quick Reply: Texas Emission question