LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Electric Water Pump Cooling Issues

Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Water Pump Cooling Issues

Currently I am running a D1 procharged 383 LT1 setup in my 93 Camaro ran by a Holley HP unit and I am noticing that I am having a hard time keeping my coolant temps where I'd like them. Mind you, the problem is very minor as it takes about 45 minutes before temps to climb beyond 200 degrees. I have my fans setup to both run at 180 degrees and I am running a 160 degree t-stat. When sitting still my temps will actually go down my issue is when I'm cruising at about 60-70 mph where they will slowly, but surely, increase. I am running a CSR electric water pump and was wondering if switching over to a Meziere would help fix this issue (Maybe they flow a little more? Like I said my issue is very minor and honestly for how much I drive the car it is really not an issue but one of these days I'd like to take it on a trip lasting more than an hour one way and be able to trust it not to overheat). Now I would convert back to a mechanical as I know they flow way more at rpm but the 24x kit prevents this from happening. Surely I'm not the only boosted guy to run into this issue so I figured better to ask on here than to guess and be wrong haha. Pic for your viewing pleasure.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Octavarium
Currently I am running a D1 procharged 383 LT1 setup in my 93 Camaro ran by a Holley HP unit and I am noticing that I am having a hard time keeping my coolant temps where I'd like them. Mind you, the problem is very minor as it takes about 45 minutes before temps to climb beyond 200 degrees. I have my fans setup to both run at 180 degrees and I am running a 160 degree t-stat. When sitting still my temps will actually go down my issue is when I'm cruising at about 60-70 mph where they will slowly, but surely, increase. I am running a CSR electric water pump and was wondering if switching over to a Meziere would help fix this issue (Maybe they flow a little more? Like I said my issue is very minor and honestly for how much I drive the car it is really not an issue but one of these days I'd like to take it on a trip lasting more than an hour one way and be able to trust it not to overheat). Now I would convert back to a mechanical as I know they flow way more at rpm but the 24x kit prevents this from happening. Surely I'm not the only boosted guy to run into this issue so I figured better to ask on here than to guess and be wrong haha. Pic for your viewing pleasure.

Have you tried adjusting spark and afr for your cruising rpms? That can cool you down. What are your cruising rpms?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Is your air dam in place and in good condition?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azmarkus
Is your air dam in place and in good condition?
This is a very good question. It would cause this exact issue.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:18 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Are your fans being turned off at highway speeds? I would guess you lack air flow across radiator at speed.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

For Me, I picked up a small electric fan from the junk yard for $10, wedged it up front of the radiator and it fixed it..
Old 06-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Teching In

My air dam is indeed intact and functional and my AFRs at cruising are around 13.7 and my timing ranges from 25 to 30 degrees. My fans are also functional at cruise. As for restricted air flow, my intercooler is mounted in front of the radiator which I'm sure has to be imparting some sort of negative impact on the radiator's cooling capacity. I'm liking the idea of an additional fan as I could easily wire it to run with the first fan but I would like to try to find another solution (if one exists) first.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

EWP flow rates are constant. Unlike a mechanical pump that increases in flow with RPM.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your fans should not be on above around 40mph.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 AM
9 Second Club

I am having the same issues. No blower but a 385" with CSR pump. My temp. does the same thing you are talking about. The temp. seems to climb when running at highway speeds. I am seeing 215-220 deg. on the highway. Everything is in good working order as far as fans, air dam, radiator. I don't really want to go back to a mechanical pump as this car see very little street time. Interested if the Mez. pump does any better. Good luck. Nice cars.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

What is the condition of the coolant and radiator? If it were plugged up some internally, it would certainly limit the cooling system's performance. The system is bled properly?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Your fans should not be on above around 40mph.
Holley HP ECU, it is set to run by coolant temp only.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
What is the condition of the coolant and radiator? If it were plugged up some internally, it would certainly limit the cooling system's performance. The system is bled properly?
Engine just went in the car this spring. The coolant is new and the radiator is definitely clean.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KENS96M6
I am having the same issues. No blower but a 385" with CSR pump. My temp. does the same thing you are talking about. The temp. seems to climb when running at highway speeds. I am seeing 215-220 deg. on the highway. Everything is in good working order as far as fans, air dam, radiator. I don't really want to go back to a mechanical pump as this car see very little street time. Interested if the Mez. pump does any better. Good luck. Nice cars.
Thanks! And yeah I was thinking maybe its a trend with the CSR pumps more so now as you are in my exact same boat (minus boost, but a moot point while cruising).
Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

The Meziere HD EWP is a 50 GPM and their standard is 43 GPM

the CSR is 30-37 GPM

FWIW I don't have a SC but do have a 383 and have had the Meziere HD on for 16 years now....and I drive in 115 degree Vegas trips. No issues...YMMV
Old 06-05-2015, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

What coolant/water mix are you running? I assume you have nothing impeding airflow to the radiator? I'm running the Mezeire HD with no cooling issues. Stock radiator and fans. Can the Holley ECU cut power to the fans above a certain speed?
Old 06-06-2015, 02:10 AM
Banned

I would guess you lack air flow across radiator at speed.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Holley HP ECU, it is set to run by coolant temp only.
Have you tried running them to turn off over 35 MPH? I'm running the HP ECU as well, but I went with a Hayden fan controller (I wanted to preserve my outputs for nitrous/boost control).
Old 06-06-2015, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Even the 50gpm freeflow units flow LESS than stock at cruise on a car with 3.73+ geared vehicle.

They free up power by doing less work(moving less water) that simple.
Usually adequate, sure, but as we constantly see people buy them with no comprehension of the fac they are adequate and only a cooling "improvement" at idle when the system isn't taxed anyway.

I had a Summit pump on my car for awhile and even at 40F outside the car ran warmer at 75mph than at 35mph. Just a few degrees viewable through datalogging. That is in a Caprice which I bet is a little easier to cool, more open nose, stock vertical radiator, more room behind he radiator for air to flow away.

Electric pumps are a cooling system capacity DOWNGRADE for the sake of reduced parasitic loss and potentially cooldown with the engine off. Which is fine if people would understand that.................
Old 06-06-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

As for restricted air flow, my intercooler is mounted in front of the radiator which I'm sure has to be imparting some sort of negative impact on the radiator's cooling capacity. .
The intercooler and Flow rating of the CSR vs a higher one from Meziere could very likely be the reason you see temps creep at fwy speeds

You may even see the same with a mechanical as the intercooler, like a AC cooler in front of a radiator, would impede aka restrict the flow of cooler air on the radiator

assuming your cooling system is functioning properly you could try a fan in front of intercooler and or a higher GPM flow EWP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Water Pump Cooling Issues