LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 LT1 Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 LT1 Exhaust questions

I've been browsing headers, Y-pipes, True duals and cat-backs. I'd like a few recommendations and advice.

Really want stainless headers, 1 7/8" would be great but would settle for 1 3/4". I've had true dual's on my LS1 Camaros before, a bit loud but I can stand it. A 3" y-pipe merged to 4" and a bullet muffler/dumped would also be cool, I think. Car is a 97 Z28 M6. Let me know what you guys think.

I've been looking at TSP, LPP and Speed Engineering headers.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSP stainless long tubes here, custom stainless muffler shop y pipe, Magnaflow catback. Sounds awesome, nice rumble at idle, doesn't drone at all and will scream at WOT. If you think True duals are loud, a 4" bullet dumped is seriously loud, droning annoying AF, and unless you have a nice lopey cam, just sounds white trash/redneck. I went from a hooker catback, it was aight, it was just way to raspy crackly and poppy for me.. Magnaflow is deep and toned.
Edit: Just a tip, don't use ANY header company's gaskets when they send them, don't cheap out on these, your just asking for leaks down the road, sometimes within hours. Also some ARP header bolts are IMHO just a necessity when going from manifolds to headers.

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 08-20-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

I'm wondering if the TSP headers would fit their LS1 true dual system...that'd be a nice option.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Anybody have any info on a homemade CAI? Trying to search for one but can't find specifics on the tubing needed.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I ran Hooker LTs and home made true duals dumped at the axle for a couple of years. If you go with the home made duals, make sure to angle the exits toward the outside of the car, otherwise the sound will hit the t-top storage section and reverb through the cabin.

I ran Dynomax bullets for a while, but it was too loud inside for my tastes and swapped over to Hooker aerochambers. It sounded the same on the outside, but quieted down just a hair on the inside. The downside was that it hurt ground clearance a bit.

I don't know if emissions is a concern in your area, but I'd have a custom y-pipe fabbed up with some cats that you can throw on when it is inspection time too. Have it empty out into a traditional cat-back system so you don't have problems come inspection time.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally if it's me I'll stick with a traditional single 3" over the axle with either a magnaflow or hooker catback. I've had both and they sound great just depends on your tastes, Magnaflow does get extra points for being stainless. Throw in an electric cutout and you've got the dumped exhaust noise when you want it or close it when you don't.

I did the true dual thing a couple times in the past and unless you're running bullets the ground clearance is pretty bad, not to mention interior noise. Makes taking non-car people passengers less of an irritation as well.

If car is a track car disregard this of course.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

True duals will be too loud, go with a catback.

Last edited by Newbomb; 08-21-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

No emissions needed, I'm really considering Speed Engineering Stainless headers and catless Y-pipe. They are 1 3/4" but I think it's good enough for my needs. Then I think the TSP rumbler catback to go with it. It's a weekend street car. Mods planned are...CAI, full exhaust, tune, maybe UD pulley...already have LCA/PHB and a torque arm relocation.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TSP rumbler is basically an SLP Loudmouth. I had one and it was great with stock manifolds, got longtubes and it got pretty ridiculous, got a cam and was just obnoxious sounded like a mud truck.

Quick Reply: 97 LT1 Exhaust questions