LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

O2 sensor with cutouts... distance needed???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default O2 sensor with cutouts... distance needed???

i wanted to put dual cutouts in my y pipe... i ran the car with just open headers when i had to take the ypipe off and the o2 sensors were affecting the performance...i really want that sound but not having to deal with the 02 sensor problems... i found a spot in the y pipe that i wanted to mount the cutout it's about 15" from the oxygen sensor is that enough distance or will it still affect the performance again. Also guy at work said i could just un plug the oxgyen sensor and put a plug in the pipe he said just a check engine lite will come on... Would that affect anything else if i did that as well... running a vortech supercharger its' tuned and all.. just dont want nothing to affect the tune at all?? i could care less about the light coming on... i rather just keep them in place if that cutout works that distance but if it contuines to miss after i put the cutout in place i might unplug it --- feed back please 95 z28 383
Old 10-04-2015, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

15" is close, I tried 12" and it was too little then ended up with 18" extensions with no noticeable problems. It was only for a week and with minimal traffic until my full exhaust arrived.

What about just a single cutout towards the back just before the axle? There will be less ground clearance issues and drone when it is opened.

You got ***** to consider driving a boosted motor without O2s. I had to do it on a stock motor for a few mile once and was terrified of leaning out in the Florida heat. All it really did was make everything around me stink of gasoline but I could have just gotten lucky.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I drive mine without 02s, OLSD tune, ~14afr at idle. No issues.

I wouldn't advise it if you don't need to though, a CLSD tune is better if you aren't good with watching your W/B
Old 10-04-2015, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by detroit_903
i wanted to put dual cutouts in my y pipe... i ran the car with just open headers when i had to take the ypipe off and the o2 sensors were affecting the performance...i really want that sound but not having to deal with the 02 sensor problems... i found a spot in the y pipe that i wanted to mount the cutout it's about 15" from the oxygen sensor is that enough distance or will it still affect the performance again. Also guy at work said i could just un plug the oxgyen sensor and put a plug in the pipe he said just a check engine lite will come on... Would that affect anything else if i did that as well... running a vortech supercharger its' tuned and all.. just dont want nothing to affect the tune at all?? i could care less about the light coming on... i rather just keep them in place if that cutout works that distance but if it contuines to miss after i put the cutout in place i might unplug it --- feed back please 95 z28 383
Most people recommend 24" minimum... Even that can affect the o2 sensors. That what kinda blows on EFI cars lol...

Quick Reply: O2 sensor with cutouts... distance needed???