LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help!!!!! 96 bird misfire!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!! 96 bird misfire!!!!!!

Ok so my buddy has a 96 firebird with the lt1 it has a bad misfire I assume it's causing the major loss in power it has new plugs and wires and also just had a shop change the distributor cap and rotor also recently done was head gaskets, o2 sensors, cold air kit, and a 58mm throttle body any help would be great thanks guys.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:45 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

Let's stick you into the LT1 section, they'll get you fixed up quick.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-threads.html
Old 10-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothy Patty
Ok so my buddy has a 96 firebird with the lt1 it has a bad misfire I assume it's causing the major loss in power it has new plugs and wires and also just had a shop change the distributor cap and rotor also recently done was head gaskets, o2 sensors, cold air kit, and a 58mm throttle body any help would be great thanks guys.
I chased a misfire on my Caprice for over a year and changed plugs, wires, opti, ignition module, coil, etc. Basically everything that could have caused a misfire. Well I found out one of the new wires I put on was arcing(same place as the old wire) as I routed it in a stupid way. Doulbe check there is no arcing at night. (Way easier to see at night) How many miles? Has the original opti been changed? I would guess a crap aftermerket unit was put on if it has over 100k and that could be causing your problems. Also were the plugs gapped properly? Sometimes finding a misfire is like looking for a specific needle in a needle stack... usually its not that hard though.

Also you don't need to put "HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!" in the title of the thread, its really annoying seeing that. It's not like people are going to see that and say "Geez he needs help bad I'm going to get right over there!" HELP does not work the same way online as it does in person....
Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vette84
I chased a misfire on my Caprice for over a year and changed plugs, wires, opti, ignition module, coil, etc. Basically everything that could have caused a misfire. Well I found out one of the new wires I put on was arcing(same place as the old wire) as I routed it in a stupid way. Doulbe check there is no arcing at night. (Way easier to see at night) How many miles? Has the original opti been changed? I would guess a crap aftermerket unit was put on if it has over 100k and that could be causing your problems. Also were the plugs gapped properly? Sometimes finding a misfire is like looking for a specific needle in a needle stack... usually its not that hard though.

Also you don't need to put "HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!" in the title of the thread, its really annoying seeing that. It's not like people are going to see that and say "Geez he needs help bad I'm going to get right over there!" HELP does not work the same way online as it does in person....
Solid advice. I was going to post the common spark plug wire arc till I read this post. It is easy to have a wire touching especially on the driver side. Double check the plug wires and mount them as necessary.

Quick Reply: Help!!!!! 96 bird misfire!!!!!!