400 HP Goal

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-15-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well my replies were more along the lines of dont get caught up in peak numbers. big cams dont always make good street power. if you have to launch it at 4000 plus in order for it to move then its not a good street cam. i personally want to just go at it from a dig and simply pull all the way til the shift point. it doesnt take a big cam or 4.10s to do that. the LPE 211 and its small size will rip with 3.42s in a manual. not having to beat on the car will also make it survive longer and not tear the car apart. to me thats what makes good street car. but hey what do i know i only put on 30k+ miles a year on my car.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow Dog
well my replies were more along the lines of dont get caught up in peak numbers. big cams dont always make good street power. if you have to launch it at 4000 plus in order for it to move then its not a good street cam. i personally want to just go at it from a dig and simply pull all the way til the shift point. it doesnt take a big cam or 4.10s to do that. the LPE 211 and its small size will rip with 3.42s in a manual. not having to beat on the car will also make it survive longer and not tear the car apart. to me thats what makes good street car. but hey what do i know i only put on 30k+ miles a year on my car.
Not arguing, just giving my opinion, hehe, and I know it prolly stinks but here goes anyways

If thats what you like, then have at it, but you can get the same streetability/reliability out of a 306 as you would with a 211/2xx cam. As far as the car pulling hard from the bottom of the RPM's to the top, I could give a rats *** if it pulls a lil harder in the lower RPM's because when im racing, my car doesnt dip in the low rpms, its rapping the high rpms, and I want my cam to make the most power in the RPM's that I will be using while racing....and those RPM's aint below 4000 more than a split second at the very beginning of a race for darn sure, hehehe. When you look at the dyno's of the "torque" cams, you notice maybe 20-30 more ft lbs of tq(if that) in the low RPM's that kicks in about 500 RPM's sooner....I will do without such a small difference in the low part of the RPM band if it means im gonna have that much more fun on the big end and I'm gonna win . Basically, if your racing, your car will only see low rpms for a very minimal amount of time in first gear...the next 11-12 seconds is all in the high RPM's so thats where I want my power. Power kicking in 500rpm's sooner at the bottom of my RPM band doesnt mean d!ck to me, power under the curve in my operating range while racing is what I'm looking for. But like I said earlier, thats what im looking for, and everybody is looking for something different so my opinion is completely biased in my favor :-D. Look for what will suit your needs best. If you are never really gonna race it that often and want to feel more power around town, definately go with a torque cam, you will enjoy it so much more, but if you are gonna street race and do roll ons with every car that rev's at you (like i would) then get something thats gonna make more power in the upper rpms, cause 20 more ftlbs of tq. down low aint gonna do diddley for you once you get to the top of first gear cause you will never see those low rpm's again.

Jeez, i'll get off my soapbox now, haha.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your absolutely right, but thats just it for you to be hapy you need a cam that produces in the upper rpms. thats fine. i dont drag race my cars on any regular occasion, heck i auto cross. so i need low/ mid power. i consider this street power. high rpm power i consider race power. and by high rpms i mean 4500 up. the kind of cam where you really need a built bottom end to take full advantage of what the cam can give you. something that can safely spin to 65- 7500.

with the advent of this internet thing i see alot of people trying to be the top dog in terms of peak power. too many people get caught up in this game. peak is nothing. you need area under the curve. that is everything. im just trying to get that point through.

build the setup to work together and itll fly, just dont think bigger is always better.

Quick Reply: 400 HP Goal