LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 real horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

96caprice must not know the output differences between different dynos.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Trust me, THIS is the hot one...

Last edited by NewOrleansLT1; 12-26-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
The 280 was on a mustang dyno but we won't get into that. I was looking at the dynojet numbers. Probably over your head. Just ignore the fact that there have been a bunch of them running very low 13's right off the showroom floor. Just ignore the video too, it won't support your biased argument. Since you love math so much, don't do the math to figure rear wheel horsepower of a 3550-3600lb vehicle that can accelerate to 108mph in a 1/4 mile. You won't like the number you come up with. I never said increased cam lift is meaningless or reducing friction, but you love putting words in my mouth, lol. I said that the differences between the 2 engines (LT1-LT4) are practically meaningless aside from the heads. The LT4 cam has 3 more degrees of duration, .4 compression, and a few other minor things. I said all of those thing would add 5-10hp, go back and re-read what I wrote, then read it again. You think adding a roller timing chain adds hp, lol. There have been tests done back-to-back-to-back between regular, roller, double roller, and belt rive. It might interest you.

Just so you don't screw it up on your reply. Here's what I say.

1. The LT4 is better than the LT1 and 95% of the reason is the heads.
2. LT4 heads are much better than LT1 heads in stock form.
3. LT4 cars can routinely rip low 13's.
4. LT4 cars can put down 310hp at the wheels and make around 350-360 at the flywheel.

1. first you say all the other changes are 5-10hp, if the difference is 50-60hp as you claim and we use the 5hp number. 5hp is 8.3% meaning 91.7% from the heads, if we go with 10hp and 50hp more that is only 80% left for the heads. So thank you for proving just how irrational you are in your argument, you wont even agree with yourself.

2. I have not argued they are better, just the level of difference.

3. stumbled on the fact the GS coupe had wider tires but we all know tires have almost nothing to do with traction so we will dismiss that

4. can you better detail where you are cherry picking data from on all this? As I already pointed out you are ignoring a couple 280s from your own source and the fact a LOT of the lightly modded ones are 310-320.

Care to comment on what bowtienut said about aggressiveness of the tune? How about on GIZMO's finding of .1 in the 1/8 on a Stock Eliminator car?

Purple, if you have a problem with the dyno thing READ the thread I referenced a source joelster brought into the conversation, so take it up with him. I know different dyno manfacturers read differently

Far as the weight to hp calculations are you cherry picking the LT4 f-bodies which there were very few of vs. the GS vettes or are you using the GS vette times vs the fbody weights?

Have an aswer for why so many on the list you linked are 320 and less WITH MODS?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

In the video, I think he mentioned that the LT4's also had factory stainless steel headers too.. Shorties most likely if I had to guess..
Old 12-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
In the video, I think he mentioned that the LT4's also had factory stainless steel headers too.. Shorties most likely if I had to guess..
That reminds me. ******** at SLP also said the LT1 SS would get extrude honed headers. When I called and asked about it they said the cost didn't justify the means so they stopped after the first batch, but that sure didn't change the price any. I love my car, but **** SLP.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A buddy of mine has an Lt4 Vette. He was running. 13.3s at 112ish on stock rubber back in the day when we raced together. Stock he dynoed 319.

He was a bit faster then the stock vettes with the ls1 when they first came out.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Village Troll

I have ALWAYS thought the LT4 engine was pretty much equal to a LS1, until mods were applied.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I have ALWAYS thought the LT4 engine was pretty much equal to a LS1, until mods were applied.
See my post further up in this thread. GM knew that too.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
1. first you say all the other changes are 5-10hp, if the difference is 50-60hp as you claim and we use the 5hp number. 5hp is 8.3% meaning 91.7% from the heads, if we go with 10hp and 50hp more that is only 80% left for the heads. So thank you for proving just how irrational you are in your argument, you wont even agree with yourself.
I didn't use exact math, D-money. I was basically trying to say that the heads are EASILY the major player in the difference between the engines.

2. I have not argued they are better, just the level of difference.
Here you go back-padaling now. Go look at any other thread where someone mentions an LT4. You'll chime in like clockwork and put down the LT4 heads as thoguh they are garbage.

3. stumbled on the fact the GS coupe had wider tires but we all know tires have almost nothing to do with traction so we will dismiss that
If it would hook up much better, then the trap speed would typically go down. Yet here we are seeing these cars trap 6-8mph higher than LT1 cars. Even while hooking up better, lol. OOpski.

4. can you better detail where you are cherry picking data from on all this? As I already pointed out you are ignoring a couple 280s from your own source and the fact a LOT of the lightly modded ones are 310-320.
Show me one example where I cherry picked please. I said bone-stock cars. Not a stock car with a K+N, not a stock car with a Power Effects Exhaust. The lowest bone-stock car is 300/301.

Care to comment on what bowtienut said about aggressiveness of the tune? How about on GIZMO's finding of .1 in the 1/8 on a Stock Eliminator car?
Oh, so bowtienut heard a tuner say that the LT4 has a more agressive tune? Now it's the gospel? I've never heard another tuner EVER say that. Have you? Has anyone else? Might be true, might not be true. I GUARANTEE that the LT4 has a DIFFERENT tune than an LT1. Just like an LS1 has a different tune than an LS7 or an LS3.

Purple, if you have a problem with the dyno thing READ the thread I referenced a source joelster brought into the conversation, so take it up with him. I know different dyno manfacturers read differently

Far as the weight to hp calculations are you cherry picking the LT4 f-bodies which there were very few of vs. the GS vettes or are you using the GS vette times vs the fbody weights?
LT4 'Vettes weigh roughly 3300lbs. I used this thing we call raceweight. I figured a loaded example might weigh 3350 and I picked a 150lb tiny guy behind the wheel to come up with a raceweight of 3500lbs. Or a basic one weighs 3300 witha 200lb guy. Sound good? Here's what I got when I plugged in a 108 trap speed with a 3500lb vehicle.

Have an aswer for why so many on the list you linked are 320 and less WITH MODS?
Modding something without a tune is usually no bueno. Ever think that some of the mods those guys chose were **** mods? Power master exhaust? Drop in filter but leave the stock box?

Have an answer as to how a 330hp car can run a bottom 13 such as the video posted above? Have an answer as to how a 330hp car can dyno over 300hp to the tires? Have an answer as to why your car is 14 different colors?
Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does anybody in this thread actually own and has raced/dynoed one of the 140 or so SLP LT4 f-bodies ever made first hand?? Not second hand hearsay about a 200 lb lighter Corvette GSs with a better designed stock intake/true dual exhaust? I didn't think so....

It should also be noted the LT4 cars cost over $40K ($60K in todays money adjusted for inflation) new while a LS1 that was just as fast (if not faster, and certainly has more potential) could be had a year later for less than half of that price at $19K all while being 90+lbs lighter and optisparkless.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ahritchie
It should also be noted the LT4 cars cost over $40K ($60K in todays money adjusted for inflation) new while a LS1 that was just as fast (if not faster, and certainly has more potential) could be had a year later for less than half of that price at $19K all while being 90+lbs lighter and optisparkless.
True, but in the collector car world rare equals value.. I'll also throw in that the LT4 CAMARO (which is heavier) was a tick faster than the LS1 CORVETTE (which is lighter) in the 1/4 according to the test done.. But trust me, THIS is the hot one... Lol
Old 12-28-2015, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
True, but in the collector car world rare equals value.. I'll also throw in that the LT4 CAMARO (which is heavier) was a tick faster than the LS1 CORVETTE (which is lighter) in the 1/4 according to the test done.. But trust me, THIS is the hot one... Lol
I would argue desirability is more important that rarity, but they aren't holding their value as well as would one would think considering the rarity; a 1 of 30 LT4 Firehawks was for sale locally 6spd, black, full SLP options only 4k miles and it was on the lot for years at a local specialty car dealership and they were asking 29K....maybe in another 20 years they could be considered a sound investment.

This one made 291 RWHP with a K&N and a loudmouth.....

Old 12-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Village Troll

No one is interested in these cars at this point in time regardless of whether a 4th gen. is considered "rare" or not. Any one who is interested in power can afford something newer. Anymore the nostalgia crowd for these cars are kids with deep thoughts and shallow pockets.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
That reminds me. ******** at SLP also said the LT1 SS would get extrude honed headers. When I called and asked about it they said the cost didn't justify the means so they stopped after the first batch, but that sure didn't change the price any. I love my car, but **** SLP.
Not that it matters any but it was extrude honed cast stainless manifolds. They should have put the stainless dual cat shorties on instead.

Quick Reply: LT4 real horsepower?