LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Internals. What's This?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opti Internals. What's This?

I did diagnostics and it seemed to point that my opti had gone out after only 500 miles. It was installed by the shop when they put in the turbo setup. I found that they removed the opti vent lines and just left it venting to atmosphere. This is what I found when I opened it up:

To me it looks like it's build up from not being vented. I bought an MSD cap and rotor kit, but is this something I can just clean all of the points and the rotor and reinstall?
Old 12-19-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorkelface
I did diagnostics and it seemed to point that my opti had gone out after only 500 miles. It was installed by the shop when they put in the turbo setup. I found that they removed the opti vent lines and just left it venting to atmosphere. This is what I found when I opened it up:

To me it looks like it's build up from not being vented. I bought an MSD cap and rotor kit, but is this something I can just clean all of the points and the rotor and reinstall?
Looks like corrosion from humidity and spark, lack of venting. But that's quick at only 500 miles. You should be able to brush that off as it does look minor. If you have the MSD cap and rotor, just use that IMO.

I'd be worried about the optical sensor it's self. Were you getting any codes? Also, the white peices, are they from the rotor?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace the vent lines. Ask the shop if they still have them, or if they will replace them for you since they lost them/chose not to reinstall them.

That will happen again and again without them...there is some HIGH voltage arcing going on in there causing corrosion between the ozone build up and moisture.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:27 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is that supposed to be a new opti?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Launching!

I went ahead and bought new opti vent lines and went ahead and put on the MSD cap and rotor. I'm going to remove the MSD coil and 6BTM and make sure the plus are gapped tight for the turbo boost. Hopefully all this will keep the Opti alive...

Originally Posted by Puck
Replace the vent lines. Ask the shop if they still have them, or if they will replace them for you since they lost them/chose not to reinstall them.

That will happen again and again without them...there is some HIGH voltage arcing going on in there causing corrosion between the ozone build up and moisture.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Didn't he say that there was a turbo installed? Wouldn't hooking the lines back into the intake push boost into the distributor? It's a tiny orifice but isn't there normally a small vacuum on those lines?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Didn't he say that there was a turbo installed? Wouldn't hooking the lines back into the intake push boost into the distributor? It's a tiny orifice but isn't there normally a small vacuum on those lines?
There should be an inline filter/check valve on the vacuum line to the intake. It'll pull vacuum until boost kicks in.

Op, make sure you have that valve and that the vacuum pulls from the cap with the fresh air line coming from the CAI going to the back of the opti.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Yup, I got the factory lines with the filter and check valve. I'm going to run a tee from the bov line that's tapped into that vacuum port the Optispark was originally routed to, then the other side into the intake side before the turbo for the fresh air. This should do it...hopefully. Haha

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by hrcslam
There should be an inline filter/check valve on the vacuum line to the intake. It'll pull vacuum until boost kicks in.

Op, make sure you have that valve and that the vacuum pulls from the cap with the fresh air line coming from the CAI going to the back of the opti.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm far from an expert, but that looks like a lot of corrosion/oxidation for only 500 miles. Perhaps it's due to the vacuum system not being installed correctly, and/or other factors. Was that opti supposedly new when it was installed? What brand of optispark is it?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Launching!

It's supposed to be a new, factory unit. I'm certain that happened from the vacuum lines not being hooked up. Car has been sitting for 4 years now so I'm sure that helped make it look worse now.

Originally Posted by BTC
I'm far from an expert, but that looks like a lot of corrosion/oxidation for only 500 miles. Perhaps it's due to the vacuum system not being installed correctly, and/or other factors. Was that opti supposedly new when it was installed? What brand of optispark is it?

Quick Reply: Opti Internals. What's This?