LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trying to get some flowmasters..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Trying to get some flowmasters..

Well I currently drive a 1995 z28 and I am on a low budget (700), I found these flowmasters online and wanted to get everybody's opinion about them.Has anybody mess with them before? If so, does performance increase? And I've notice the tips on these exhaust are tilded down slightly, does anybody got pictures of them on your camaros and trans ams? Thanks.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/flo-...FZIkgQod2wsFfA
Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Not the best catback you can buy but I guess if you're just looking for sound it would be ok. There are definitely better performing exhaust systems.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Red face

What exhaust would you recommend?
Old 01-23-2016, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bojongas
What exhaust would you recommend?
For $700 you could find a used GMMG catback. Got mine for $530 plus shipping, or you could get the system brand new from www.madhammer2.com with your $700 budget and have some of that $700 still left to spend. Gary from Madhammer made the systems for GMMG when they were still in business, but now he pretty much makes them to order I think. Waaay better than a Slowmaster in performance, sound, and durability.

Here's GMMG on my stock LT1 Camaro.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is one very fine sounding exhaust brother! They basically use sweet thunder mufflers, right?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
That is one very fine sounding exhaust brother! They basically use sweet thunder mufflers, right?
Thanks! And yeah, basically the same type of muffler as Sweet Thunder and Powerstick.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Back 10-11 years ago, I was 16 years old and thought Flowmaster was the **** due to their marketing on every car tv show/magazine that I came across. I bought that same system for my '95 Formula and boy did I regret it. It's possibly the ugliest catback you could put on these cars, sounds terrible compared to other options, the aluminized steel rusted and fell apart on me after a year and I found out it's a pretty bad system for making power. I bet it's no better or heck maybe even worse than stock. Ran it both with and without headers.

Did my research and forked out the $850 at that time for a GMMG. Despite being a lot of money for a high school kid, it was worth it. I've had a few different catbacks over the years and the GMMG/Madhammer was my favorite. Sound is subjective however so I would listen to various YouTube clips if I were you.

A couple years after that I ditched catbacks all together and went with true duals and I never looked back. Moral of the story...don't waste your money and time on the Flowmaster system like I did. If you really really want that sound bad enough then fab up true duals with 40 series mufflers. Otherwise, get a stainless steel catback that sounds and looks good to you.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got the Flowmasters 17133 kit and I'm happy with the sound of it. I get compliments on the sound of the car left and right. However I do have long tubes and a CC503 helping it out.

My biggest grip with it is that they changed the mounting locations of one of the hangers for some reason on the left pipe. This has resulted in the system not fitting without cutting and re-welding the hanger....which my Dad did for me. Thread on it here....
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/exha...atback-639879/

Here is how it sounds....

I very well may go with something different next time. Ha ha, mainly because I'm still sore at them over the hanger mounting problem. LoL....yes, yes, I know..... u mad???

Last edited by ACE1252; 01-24-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, I never minded the sound of the Flowmaster 80 series, my car had one on it when I got it. Performance sucked though.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nickster 7
For $700 you could find a used GMMG catback. Got mine for $530 plus shipping, or you could get the system brand new from www.madhammer2.com with your $700 budget and have some of that $700 still left to spend. Gary from Madhammer made the systems for GMMG when they were still in business, but now he pretty much makes them to order I think. Waaay better than a Slowmaster in performance, sound, and durability.

https://youtu.be/lln2CgIht2s
Dude nice video on your car, you got a sick camaro, I might get the GMMG...hmmm..
Old 01-25-2016, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Back 10-11 years ago, I was 16 years old and thought Flowmaster was the **** due to their marketing on every car tv show/magazine that I came across. I bought that same system for my '95 Formula and boy did I regret it. It's possibly the ugliest catback you could put on these cars, sounds terrible compared to other options, the aluminized steel rusted and fell apart on me after a year and I found out it's a pretty bad system for making power. I bet it's no better or heck maybe even worse than stock. Ran it both with and without headers.

Did my research and forked out the $850 at that time for a GMMG. Despite being a lot of money for a high school kid, it was worth it. I've had a few different catbacks over the years and the GMMG/Madhammer was my favorite. Sound is subjective however so I would listen to various YouTube clips if I were you.

A couple years after that I ditched catbacks all together and went with true duals and I never looked back. Moral of the story...don't waste your money and time on the Flowmaster system like I did. If you really really want that sound bad enough then fab up true duals with 40 series mufflers. Otherwise, get a stainless steel catback that sounds and looks good to you.
Yeah man thanks for your story and I am definitely not going to get flowmasters, thanks for your advice dude.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bojongas
Dude nice video on your car, you got a sick camaro, I might get the GMMG...hmmm..
Thanks a lot! I love GMMG, and it puts a smile on my face every time I stand behind my car while it's running. Again if you visit madhammer2.com you can buy the system brand new, but it doesn't come with the cool oval tips like GMMG put on back in the day. The only necessary modification I had to make was to swap the drivers side exhaust hanger with one from a 1998-2002 Camaro (or Firebird). You can have Gary from Madhammer supply you with one at a cost, or just get one cheap (or free in your pocket) from a scrapyard. There's just two bolts holding it on.

I'll have another video made once I get longtubes put on the car. No matter what you decide to do, invest in a stainless exhaust system. It's worth it.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brothers car is running the Flowmaster 80 on his camaro. Its got pacesetter long tubes and when it was catless it sounded really good. Even on the dyno it make good power for a bolt on car. Right at 300hp and 320tq with the longtubes.

I have played with different exhaust. My Magnaflow was garbage. The tone was horrible as well as the fit. I also don't complain about drone but it had drone. I have an old school borla and that is also junk. If my piece of junk ever gets running I was able to buy a Corsa muffler for $200. That will be going onto the car. However when I was 19 I really wanted a slp loud mouth. Mmm straight pipe. But now with the corsa I could just do an electric cutout.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another GMMG owner here. Best sounding exhaust on an LT1 by far. Love it, worth every damn penny lol. I bought mine from Madhammer.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

where are you located, i have one that id sell for $200?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the GMMG neck down to 2.25 anywhere? I thought I saw that on the Madhammer site.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.mufflex-performance.com/1993-1997-35-single-cat-system/33-93-97-single-35-cat-flowmaster.html

https://youtu.be/kebDiS8weAM
I have the 4in single dual 3in out for the 396 stroker if I ever get it finished lol
Old 01-27-2016, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since buying this car, I have had the following setups:

1. Flowmaster--garbage, I hated the sound--it only sounded good at idle to me.

2. Loudmouth 1--Not bad, but too raspy and "tin" sounding for me.

3. Loudmouth 2--Pretty good, I liked it much better than the Loudmouth 1. But, it had a little too much glass pack sound to me.

4. GMMG--If God built an exhaust for LT1s it would be the GMMG. Sounds good everywhere, from idle to WOT to cruising. And, it is stainless steel to boot.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickster 7

https://youtu.be/lln2CgIht2s
What's the full layout of the exhaust on this? I have a feeling you are still stock manifolds and cats?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smitty2919
What's the full layout of the exhaust on this? I have a feeling you are still stock manifolds and cats?
That is a good question. When I first installed the GMMG with the Long Tubes and no cats it was too loud for me. Still sounded good, but would give me a headache. I put 2 magnaflow bullet cats in and that made it perfect. So, I would guess the car in the video has cats, at the very least.

Last edited by ringmaster72; 01-27-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Trying to get some flowmasters..