LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Question

I've got a 95Z and it's near 175k miles. It runs great currently with no engine issues, I want to put a cam in it but the high mileage scares me.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

at 175k your motor is closer to its end life than beginning. you put in a cam, rev it more and you tax already tired bearings.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save up the extra $1000+ for a mild rebuild; rings, bearings, cylinder hone, ARP rod bolts, gaskets...ect ect. it's easier to work on anyway out of the car.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you keep the cam relatively small so that you don't have to spin the engine much over 6k then you'll be fine. RPM is the killer because the stock bearing clearances are generally tighter but can be all over the place (tolerances are huge). Whether or not it will live spinning to 6k and beyond is a roll of the dice. There are freak engines out there that can take a beating though. I would also suggest a high pressure oil pump relief spring in the stock pump.

This is assuming the motor is in good health. What's the oil pressure look like at a hot idle, cruise, etc.?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

As Cat says, Ive seen engines with 150k and in good shape and others with half that in sad shape, If you havent had that car since new or dont know how the previous owner treated it, then its a 50/50 roll..
Old 03-03-2016, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Default Cam Question

I just put a can and springs in my 95 trans am with 220 on the clock
Attached Thumbnails Cam Question-photo634.jpg   Cam Question-photo361.jpg   Cam Question-photo32.jpg   Cam Question-photo859.jpg  
Old 03-03-2016, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Default Cam Question

CAM. Not can sorry
Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by liketowork
Hes not asking if you can install a cam in an engine with high miles, he is wondering about the possible ill affects and longevity, heck you can install a cam in an engine with 500 miles..Let us know how yours go after you beat on it with the new cam...
Old 03-04-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
If you keep the cam relatively small so that you don't have to spin the engine much over 6k then you'll be fine. RPM is the killer because the stock bearing clearances are generally tighter but can be all over the place (tolerances are huge). Whether or not it will live spinning to 6k and beyond is a roll of the dice. There are freak engines out there that can take a beating though. I would also suggest a high pressure oil pump relief spring in the stock pump.

This is assuming the motor is in good health. What's the oil pressure look like at a hot idle, cruise, etc.?
My plan was to go with an lt4 hotcam so a stall wouldn't be required something very mild, my oil pressure is low on idle shoots up to around mid to third mark when driving from my memory not 100% accurate. Also, how much would a small rebuild be including estimated labor cost. I love cars I'm just not one to work on them.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EsTee9
My plan was to go with an lt4 hotcam so a stall wouldn't be required something very mild, my oil pressure is low on idle shoots up to around mid to third mark when driving from my memory not 100% accurate. Also, how much would a small rebuild be including estimated labor cost. I love cars I'm just not one to work on them.
That is not a question to ask here, YOU need to call machine shops in your area, One person might of found a shop in his state to do a rebuild for X amount but then shops in other states might be on the expensive, its just like anything else, shop around in your area, ask around about the shops work, just because a shop rate is high doesnt mean they do good work and vice versa, there might be one that does it really cheap, but do good work..
Old 03-04-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you live? Maybe some other forums members can recommend someone in your area. You could also try LT1 Nation!! on Facebook for builder recommendations in your area.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Also, how much would a small rebuild be including estimated labor cost. I love cars I'm just not one to work on them.
well if you are a "point & pay" guy...this is going to cost as the engine needs to be removed to be rebuilt even mildly with just new bearings, crank polish and a cyl hone and piston re-ring.

My guess is it is $1500 alone just to R&R the motor then whatever parts & machine work on the motor

with the motor in the car the only thing you could do is just stab a cam and if you had to replace the rod bearings against an un-polished crank. The cam bearings are what is most prone to shiating themselves and those can only be replaced with the motor out of the car.

so it is basically a 50/50 crap shoot on if you can get another 50k mi or it spins a bearing in under 5k mi (or less)

If it were me I would save up $ and get the short block done as just a "freshing rebuild" with new bearings, cyl hone & rings, rods re-sized with ARP fasteners, GM white spring for stock oil pump, new stock timing chain/gears. Send heads off to Lloyd Elliott and have him spec a cam and valve springs. You would then have one solid motor.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Default Cam Question

Quoted liketowork
Hes not asking if you can install a cam in an engine with high miles, he is wondering about the possible ill affects and longevity, heck you can install a cam in an engine with 500 miles..Let us know how yours go after you beat on it with the new cam..
I know what he was asking. And I was saying in my opinion. I would do it. As I. I just did it. I am an engine builder. If you do a compression test and a leak Down test. Have no main rattle at cold start and oil pressure is not bad when hot. The amount of miles does not concern me. I Chang the oil add z-max. And beat on it. As for my engine with 220k. When my long bolts for my throttle body nitrous plate come in I will be spraying it with 125 shot wet kit. My cam by the way is Crane HR-296-2s-12-IG. Witch is a nice size cam

Quick Reply: Cam Question