LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wheels and tires dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Wouldn't you know it, last night some 17" ws6 wheels with good tires popped up on Craigslist for $500
Murphy's law.....
Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Those G-Force Sport Comps are good tires. I think you'll notice a smoother ride (even though the sidewall is shorter) and lest darting compared to the runflats you removed (Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars right?). I am wondering if the turn in will be softer too though even though the sidewall is smaller. I went from runflats to Sport Comp-2 A/S but I also increased sidewall and noticed less sharp turn in. The ride quality was greatly improved, and traction was leap and bounds better than anything those Supercar F1's could offer.

Looking good!

Last edited by hrcslam; 03-27-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running 255/50/16 Sport Comp 2s on my car, best tire the car has had in the 12 years I've owned it.

Edit: What is with the site putting a hyperlink in when I typed tire? WTF?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

dem IB ads doe
Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

I had to see how it looked with the chrome, NOPE. Grabbed some rattle can black, way better. Right rear has a bad valve stem and its Easter and I can't find an atheist shop. I bought 1.25" adapters for all 4 corners per online recommendations but am only going to use them on the rear. The front stuck them way too far out, I have some 5/16" spacers that I might put on with longer studs tho, but any more than that would look stupid.

I bought 3 cans of semi gloss, which is what was on the wagon wheels, but I'm kind of liking how the gloss matches the mirrors and roof. Thoughts?

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 03-27-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

I had to see how it looked with the chrome, NOPE. Grabbed some rattle can black, way better. Right rear has a bad valve stem and its Easter and I can't find an atheist shop. I bought 1.25" adapters for all 4 corners per online recommendations but am only going to use them on the rear. The front stuck them way too far out, I have some 5/16" spacers that I might put on with longer studs tho, but any more than that would look stupid.

I bought 3 cans of semi gloss, which is what was on the wagon wheels, but I'm kind of liking how the gloss matches the mirrors and roof. Thoughts?
Just my two cents, I wouldn't go black or leave them chrome... Buy some duplicolor wheel paint in graphite color. Then clear coat the bajesus out of them. Makes a nice dark gunmetal gray color that looks really good on polo green camaros. Less coats it's more grey the more coats you do the darker it'll be. Here's one for reference, a little to dark for me but it's up to you for painting them.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:36 AM
12 Second Club

I don't think I can pull off another color. The car is already green and black, and throwing another color in there I don't think would look right. I've never thought these cars looked good with anything other than black wheels because of the black roof. My hood is black too, I wish I could find another polo green hood, but as long as the hood is black and the roof, I want to stay with black wheels. I'm just debating gloss or semi gloss now. The chrome is in such bad shape and peeling that I think gloss will make the imperfections show too much, and I'm not paying to unmount, blast, paint, then remount and balance the tires. I might hit them with the black drill mounted scuff pad first, or just peel what I can with my fingers. I'm not hating the 19s so far, they fill the wheel wells nice, but I do not like the look of the spacers.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 AM
12 Second Club

Side question: I jacked the car from the front pad and can get both side tires off the ground. I can't remember if I used to be able to do this stock or not. It has no subframe connectors, but is a hard top. I think it's my poly ended LCAs not flexing combined with the 23mm rear sway bar, can anyone else do this? In the pic without the rear tire on the axle is not on the jackstand, it's above it.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

I don't think I can pull off another color. The car is already green and black, and throwing another color in there I don't think would look right. I've never thought these cars looked good with anything other than black wheels because of the black roof. My hood is black too, I wish I could find another polo green hood, but as long as the hood is black and the roof, I want to stay with black wheels. I'm just debating gloss or semi gloss now. The chrome is in such bad shape and peeling that I think gloss will make the imperfections show too much, and I'm not paying to unmount, blast, paint, then remount and balance the tires. I might hit them with the black drill mounted scuff pad first, or just peel what I can with my fingers. I'm not hating the 19s so far, they fill the wheel wells nice, but I do not like the look of the spacers.
It actually looks pretty good with the black. Here is my old car way long ago when it was on saw blades and had just gotten the 503...

Ignore the S10.. Lol

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 03-28-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Side question: I jacked the car from the front pad and can get both side tires off the ground. I can't remember if I used to be able to do this stock or not. It has no subframe connectors, but is a hard top. I think it's my poly ended LCAs not flexing combined with the 23mm rear sway bar, can anyone else do this? In the pic without the rear tire on the axle is not on the jackstand, it's above it.
If I jack my car from that point, both tires come off the ground, but it's not as level as yours is. I'm T-top, no SFC's, stock control arms, lowered, stock sway bar.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:49 AM
12 Second Club

Update: the darty behavior is GONE. Turn in used to feel like an evasive maneuver every time, now it's controlled. The slower turn in causes not so much of a shock to the rear, keeping the rear end more planted even with the poly LCA and 23mm bar still keeping the car a bit loose. There is 1 stretch of road on the way to work that the road changes angles as it goes through the hills, pitching right and left over and over, with cracks in the asphalt and sweeping turns up and down hills, and I have a TON more confidence and control. The angle change used to pull the car every time, but now it stays straight and requires less arm input to keep it on the track you want. The temp was mid 40s this morning so the tires were still cold, but the limit is much more progressive on these tires than the Eagle F1s. Hrcslam, you hit it on the head, the turn in is less sharp with these front tires, the 295s were too big for the 9.5" rim, 245s is way better on a 9" rim, and they are softer. It almost feels lazy as you turn now compared to how darty it was.

Lesson learned: 295s on a 9.5" rim is too much for normal roads on the front. 245s feel like plenty. The square setup with the poly LCAs and big rear bar was way too loose, now the bigger rear tires and smaller fronts evened it out a bit. Handling feels great, I still want to swap in some Founders 1 rod end and 1 poly end LCAs and may still put back in the 19mm rear bar, but 1 at a time.

I still have the left side chrome and the right spray painted black, it's ugly, but I don't care. There is still something about these cars that not a lot of people understand. No matter how shitty or stressed everything is around you, you turn that key and a **** eating grin comes across your face and you're happy.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 AM
12 Second Club

So here's a downside of 19s: they are expensive to replace. Just blew a rear tire, sidewall was punctured then separated as I limped it off the highway to safety. No idea if it was low already and I couldn't feel it because they are so little sidewall or what. And 1 day after I sold the old set. Going to try to find another tire, then probably clean up te wheels, get them painted nicely, and then maybe sell them and find a set of 17s. Really kicking myself for not buying the set of c5s with Michelin run flats now.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 03-31-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Glad to hear your okay. How far in VA are you? I know a guy who sells tires for 20$ if you give me your tire size I could pick one up for you and meet you at the NC/VA line.
yeah, 17x9.5" seem to look the best on our cars, and are best performing all around weather it be autox, drag racing or just looking good.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

That's a major reason I went with 17's. The 18's were pretty expensive, the 19's are even more so. The 17's were about $100 per tire cheaper, for the same brand and model. Even the 315/35R17's are much cheaper than most 19's. I just need to find 2 more 17x9.5 ZR1 wheels so I can square it up for street type driving/racing and get the 17x11's mounted with some DR's or slicks for drag racing (after the 9 inch, so years from now).

Glad to here it was mostly uneventful for you. You still have your spare right?

Here's a set of 17 inch ZR1's in D.C with tires. Not sure on condition though. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...510454093.html

Here's a set of 17 inch ZR1's also in DC (or near abouts) without tires. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...515656480.html

Here's a set of staggered 17 inch ZR1's in Richmond with tires. https://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/5515307241.html

Last edited by hrcslam; 03-31-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:29 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Really kicking myself for not buying the set of c5s with Michelin run flats now.
LOL.... you have the shittiest luck with that car. I've most likely ran the same roads you have around Warrenton and have never had any sort of blowout.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:17 AM
12 Second Club

I was on 28 north doing 70, and now that I have the car home I took off the tire and I'm 90% sure I clipped something on the outer sidewall. I think I saw something in the road (shitty *** stock headlights) and kinda swerved to avoid it and I think it clipped the sidewall, and as I corrected it was REALLY loose and I luckily was able to control it without hitting the cars around me. Sure enough as I'm sitting on the side of the road I see blue lights in my mirror and I'm like GREAT, my inspection sticker expired in June of 2008, and I have no front plate, he's going to add insult to injury. I put both hands out my window, opened the door from the outside holding my hands out as he walked up (trying to get out before he saw the sticker) and he goes "are you ok"? And I point at the tire and he goes "damn that sucks." I told him AAA was on the way and I think I hit a piece of metal in the road and he got back in his car and drove around trying to find it, found nothing, came up next to me and told me, then left, so I got lucky there. I have no spare, gone long ago when the weight reduction bug bit me.

I am going to try to get out of work and go buy the zr1s on the silver vette in fairfax, he says 80% tread, well see. Then ill clean up and paint the c6 wheels black and sell them with 3 tires to hopefully recoup that money, the chrome is so shitty and I already painted 2 so it's my only option there. Other option is a couple different sets of 2 rear tires around for $200-300 and sell the good tire for $100, I want to have matching rear tires, I don't think I like the idea of non matching rears on this car. Or I could get a brand new tire for $250, plus $20 for mount and balance, but I really don't think I want big *** heavy 19s. Amazing how much heavier they felt than the wagon wheels.

I advise anyone to get AAA Plus with 100 free miles towing, I use the crap out of it when I buy cars so I don't need a second person to get them home, and they towed my car home for free. The flatbed driver was from Mississippi and said he has an 80 trans am that has a crate small block chevy with a blower through the hood that runs on pump gas and makes 1200 horsepower and has 4 non matching 225/40/18 tires that does wheelies on the street and runs low 8s in the 1/4, and his 69 camaro (showed me a picture, no cage) has a 327 that runs high 7s in the 1/4... Amazing how much money tow truck drivers make. And yes he did say 1/4. Interesting ride home.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 04-01-2016 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:28 AM
12 Second Club

The inner sidewall was still connected 100%, and there's a spot that looks like a gash, then it separated as I drove another 1/2 mile to safety since there was no shoulder and it was dark and I would rather **** up a tire than die in my tin can.

And 1 more nut shot for the day, I get home and there's my new CCV valvecover elbow, completing repairing my CCV tube, and I couldn't test if it fixed the smooth low rpm issue. $35 shipped on eBay for the tube and $15 shipped for the valve cover elbow.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 04-01-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

The inner sidewall was still connected 100%, and there's a spot that looks like a gash, then it separated as I drove another 1/2 mile to safety since there was no shoulder and it was dark and I would rather **** up a tire than die in my tin can.

And 1 more nut shot for the day, I get home and there's my new CCV valvecover elbow, completing repairing my CCV tube, and I couldn't test if it fixed the smooth low rpm issue. $35 shipped on eBay for the tube and $15 shipped for the valve cover elbow.
Glad you were ok. I know the feeling of being stuck with a flat and no spare, it sucks. The run flats do shine in those rare instances for sure, and their turn is is great.

I think your idea of swapping to the 17s and selling the 19s is a good one. It should net you little out of pocket now and save you a bunch later.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:07 AM
12 Second Club

The search still continues. There's a couple options online right now, including some 17/18 wagon wheels with apparently good tires for $250 but they are 2 hours away. I'm in CA next week so I don't need the car, may wait another week and see what else pops up, but god damnit I miss driving it. I swear everyone should DD their cars on ONLY nice, warm, dry days, don't do it on shitty days or you'll resent the car, save it for nice days as a treat and stress reliever.

Quick Reply: Wheels and tires dilemma