LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wheels and tires dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 06:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Id hold out and try to find something else. I use to run them but ive since learned to hate wagon wheels just as much as everybody else lol. They don't even look good on C5's.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I waited and waited and waited until a set of 17x9.5s popped up and they finally did. OZ Monte Carlos, the ones Callaway used to use. Wrapped in 275/40 Goodyear F1 G3-D3s, they are a little dry rotted but are 100% brand new tread.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
LOL.... you have the shittiest luck with that car. I've most likely ran the same roads you have around Warrenton and have never had any sort of blowout.

With your luck he'd be moving to Wyoming and his LT1 would sit in the garage for another 10 years. Tell him how lucky you are adjusting the valves on your solid roller. Yea the one that ground itself down to round lobes and metal particles.

U maybe jealous of the new trend of painted rims on 1 side of car and chrome on the other. Its the new level of ugliness that makes that car way to cool. To cool for Virginia. It really belongs in Wyoming with u.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I waited and waited and waited until a set of 17x9.5s popped up and they finally did. OZ Monte Carlos, the ones Callaway used to use. Wrapped in 275/40 Goodyear F1 G3-D3s, they are a little dry rotted but are 100% brand new tread.

What's the offset on those? I like how they sit.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I waited and waited and waited until a set of 17x9.5s popped up and they finally did. OZ Monte Carlos, the ones Callaway used to use. Wrapped in 275/40 Goodyear F1 G3-D3s, they are a little dry rotted but are 100%
Dry rot is no bueno, gotta replace those tires. Dry rot will leave you with another blowout. 17x9.5 and 275/40 is a bucket of win though. Not sure what the decent offerings are for street tires there, but you can get some Toyo RA1 in that size if you want some DOT R comps.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Yea i almost passed on them due to the dry rot, but I always loved these wheels, and I've seen them go for way more than the $350 I paid. I'll get the tires replaced before any track events or road trips.

Not sure on the back spacing, I'm googling it.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Yea i almost passed on them due to the dry rot, but I always loved these wheels, and I've seen them go for way more than the $350 I paid. I'll get the tires replaced before any track events or road trips.

Not sure on the back spacing, I'm googling it.
The back spacing should be stamped to the back side of the wheel.

I recommend BFG Sport Comp 2 AS for a good all around tire in the size. Continental ExtremeContact DW are good too, but a bit more expensive.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:54 AM
12 Second Club

If I get a minute I'll take 1 off and look at the backs of the wheels for the back spacing, I agree it's perfect, I love the way they sit in the wheel wells and no spacers. Tires are perfect size for a 9.5" wheel too, I am really happy with this setup. While 1 is off I'll compare weights with the c6s, just moving them around I think the 19s are almost 10lbs heavier.

Drove it to work today and it's a little wet out but they ride great and grip so much better than the supercar 295s in the wet, they hold around turns and track straight. The ride is so much better than the 18s or 19s, credit to a little more sidewall, I think 17s really is the ticket on these cars. They have a little dry rot but it's not much, I'll keep an eye on them to see if it gets worse with street time.

Also this is the maiden voyage since fixing the CCV tube, and there is a huge noticeable difference in manners. Low rpm is much smoother, throttle is more linear, so that unmetered air was hurting it. I'll never do a breather in the valve over again, and to anyone thinking about it, keep the CCV tube. I would even advise people to buy a spare tube now before they are gone, it's $25 on eBay.

If I do buy new tires I don't know what I would get. The BFGs seemed squishy around turns but that was a 245 front tire, they had good grip in a straight line and let go in turns very progressively, no snap, but didn't feel so far as nice as these tires. The eagle F1 supercars are junk, I'll never buy those again. These tires are $280 each, so too expensive for me to buy again. What's the difference between "ultra high performance summer" and "max performance summer"? Max is rated higher, but neither are good below 60 degrees out. I've always liked michelins compounds but again are very expensive. These GS D3s are max performance summer and the BFGs are ultra high performance summer.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 05-02-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

Sidebar conversation/question, the guy I bought these from is huge into 1LE cars, he has 2 of them, a 94 and a 95, both with 50-70k miles in perfect condition, all original, under car covers. He mentioned that the 1LE cars got light weight spares that were aluminum instead of steel, with cutouts in them, I didn't ask to see one since the cars were covered, but I want one of these. Any truth to this? Anyone ever see one? One of his 1LEs also had no badging, and no marks where badging was, and he got EVERYTHING from that car when he bought it, and no badges, and was trying to look up the PO and see if he custom ordered it without badging. Could you do that?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

If I get a minute I'll take 1 off and look at the backs of the wheels for the back spacing, I agree it's perfect, I love the way they sit in the wheel wells and no spacers. Tires are perfect size for a 9.5" wheel too, I am really happy with this setup. While 1 is off I'll compare weights with the c6s, just moving them around I think the 19s are almost 10lbs heavier.

Drove it to work today and it's a little wet out but they ride great and grip so much better than the supercar 295s in the wet, they hold around turns and track straight. The ride is so much better than the 18s or 19s, credit to a little more sidewall, I think 17s really is the ticket on these cars. They have a little dry rot but it's not much, I'll keep an eye on them to see if it gets worse with street time.

Also this is the maiden voyage since fixing the CCV tube, and there is a huge noticeable difference in manners. Low rpm is much smoother, throttle is more linear, so that unmetered air was hurting it. I'll never do a breather in the valve over again, and to anyone thinking about it, keep the CCV tube. I would even advise people to buy a spare tube now before they are gone, it's $25 on eBay.

If I do buy new tires I don't know what I would get. The BFGs seemed squishy around turns but that was a 245 front tire, they had good grip in a straight line and let go in turns very progressively, no snap, but didn't feel so far as nice as these tires. The eagle F1 supercars are junk, I'll never buy those again. These tires are $280 each, so too expensive for me to buy again. What's the difference between "ultra high performance summer" and "max performance summer"? Max is rated higher, but neither are good below 60 degrees out. I've always liked michelins compounds but again are very expensive. These GS D3s are max performance summer and the BFGs are ultra high performance summer.
I do like the BFG Sport Comp-2 A/S (275/40R17) I have on the front of my car, but they are soft compared to the run flats I've run previously and the Hankook Ventus V12 ( all previous sizes were 285/35R18's). They hold very well though, grip is predictable and very good in wet or dry IMO. Between the Michelin Pilot Sport (run flat 285/35R18), Kuhmo Ecsta Run Flats (285/35R18), Continental Extreme Contact DWS (295/35R18), Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar (295/35R18) and Nitto 555 ExtremeZR (315/35R17), the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires were by far the worst tire in every possible driving condition. They just suck.... bad. I would only recommend those to my worst enemy and tempt him into a race...........

The best tires I've had for traction so far have been the A/S's (BFG Sport Comp-2 A/S and Continental ExtremeContact DWS). The Conti's were on the rear and I would cut 2.0XX 60' times on those, not bad for all season. I haven't been able to compare the Nitto's I have now to the Conti's as far as objectively (no track time), but they don't hook as well in the rain or cold, but nothing dangerously loose. I'm sure they'll do much better once the ground heats up here.

For the front and turning, the BFG's do alright for a daily driver with the occasional spirited burst here and there. The turn in is soft, but grip is there for sure. They are very quite and smooth and the car no longer darts from road grooves. I'm not sure if I'll go with another pair of these or if I'll try the Continental ExtremeContact DW (not all season). Or I may try those Vredesteins; they seem to be all the rage.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:27 AM
12 Second Club

It cleared up yesterday afternoon and I enjoyed the back roads, these tires are hands down the best of the 3 setups I've had in the past 3 months. No wandering like the 295 eagle F1 supercars, and it HOOKS in a straight line. These tires screech loudly when they do spin in a straight line but it takes a stab of the throttle in 1st to get any spinning and it only happens for a brief instant. The BFGs hooked the same in a straight line but the balanced front and rear size feels 100x better than the 18/19 setup in corners, and I swear I can feel the weight difference. The CCV fixed took care of all low rpm smoothness, and it finally feels like it used to before 2012 when I couldn't trap over 109. I found an old time slip from November 2013 in the car, when it had the 295s all around, on the back it says it weighed 3320 that day (with 170lb me in the car) and only ran a 13.2 at 102 and a 2.2 60' that was when the plug wires were arcing on the ground strap and the CCV was replaced with a breather. I did a quick blast 5-120 on route 55 without realizing how fast it went because it felt so much smoother than it has in so long, no spinning in 1st anymore. Next up is ls1 front brakes, because when I realized I was going 120 and hit the brakes it was apparent I need better brakes. I need to get back to MIR and see if it can trap 110 again. It hooks now when I roll into it in 1st, and I feel confident I can cut a 1.9- 2.0 60 again, I'll try to find a test n tune soon and see if any of you folks want to meet up at a track, be it Cecil, MIR, 79/80 or the new 1/8th mile in Fredericksburg.

Did some googling about the 1le aluminum spare, and there's a ton about it in 3rd gens but none about it on 4th gens I could find. Apparently it was a spoked aluminum spare that had an inflator that when inflated was stock size. I'm going to call the guy I bought the tires from and see if he has more info or can send me a pic of his 4th gen aluminum spare. I want a spare tire now after that last flat, as I want to take the camaro to Cleveland for work in 2 weeks, taking the long way through back roads in the mountains.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 05-03-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

18" max on these cars IMO.

Wider tires will make it find ruts in the road easier. Add on an autocross alignment and it will keep you on your toes while daily driving Automatic lane changing option anyone?

I'll never buy used tires on CL. I only buy used race tires for autocross because of low speeds and that the style of tires I need are kept inside away from elements. I got burned once on used DD wheel/tire combo. Ended up buying new tires within a month because they were ****.

Quick Reply: Wheels and tires dilemma